Epesians 5 and the company we keep

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
In Ephesians 5 Paul tells us to flee from sexual immorality and free ourselves from people who practice hypocrisy and are evil.

But What if we're trying to grow this person in Christ? I realize that this person doesn't have the Holy Spirit in him and that he is a false convert who refuses to repent. But, I also vowed to this person that I would be their friend until the day I die. I take promises like that seriously, but am I making myself more prone to ungodliness and unrighteousness by hanging out with these evil people? I'm not even remotely close to being close to any true believer in Christ. Just all heretical and anti Godly friendships with no sign of the Holy Spirit in right. These people don't repent, they don't love God and maybe I would be better off leaving then alone.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I'm not even remotely close to being close to any true believer in Christ. Just all heretical and anti Godly friendships with no sign of the Holy Spirit in right. These people don't repent, they don't love God and maybe I would be better off leaving then alone.
That's a problem as Eph 5 points out. You need to find real true Christian fellowship. There are online zoom Bible fellowship groups - fully interactive etc. Lots of ways to get into that if you don't happen to have a Bible believing Christian congregation near you.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In Ephesians 5 Paul tells us to flee from sexual immorality and free ourselves from people who practice hypocrisy and are evil.

But What if we're trying to grow this person in Christ? I realize that this person doesn't have the Holy Spirit in him and that he is a false convert who refuses to repent. But, I also vowed to this person that I would be their friend until the day I die. I take promises like that seriously, but am I making myself more prone to ungodliness and unrighteousness by hanging out with these evil people? I'm not even remotely close to being close to any true believer in Christ. Just all heretical and anti Godly friendships with no sign of the Holy Spirit in right. These people don't repent, they don't love God and maybe I would be better off leaving then alone.

As you're trying to discern how to apply Ephesians 5, take a few other passages into account.

1) We are told that Jesus associated with "tax collectors and sinners" and with Samaritans.
2) The early church wrestled with the question of whether people who did not follow the Jewish law could be Christians. Peter's vision of the unclean animals was one element in the conversation.
3) Romans 14 addresses the question of what to do when people in the Christian community disagree about whether particular actions are sinful or permissible.

If this is a situation where you and your friend disagree about whether a particular action is sinful, then perhaps you can take a Romans 14 approach.

Upvote 0

timf

Jun 12, 2011
✟79,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
1Co 15:33 Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.

Jas 5:12 But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation.

You are not "bound" by a pledge. If you are not yet fully "spiritual", you should avoid such entanglements.

Gal 6:1 Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.

Reactions: Wyatt A.
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

The point he is making here is that being publicly associated with such people has an effect, not only on your spiritual condition, but your reputation in the world. If they are hypocrites and practice all sorts of evil, that can greatly affect your image and witness as a believer to others. You associating with such people makes you appear in agreement with it. If, somehow, they aren't living a life that influences you to live like them or ruining your good name in the community, then this does not apply to you. There are reasons we shouldn't be unevenly yoked, but if those reasons don't apply, then it is okay to be-friend the lost in life. Some take Paul's words to an extreme as if it is just wrong to be around lost people, but that's simply false.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

As long as you are not being drawn into whatever it is they are doing ... then you are ok. Perhaps limited exposure?

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

As long as you are not being drawing into whatever they are doing, you're ok. Perhaps limited exposure?
Always keep them in prayer.

Upvote 0

Veloman

Oct 5, 2021
Stockbridge, GA
✟24,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Some good points here. I might add an old, but tried and true saying: bad company corrupts good character. The best friend one can be to an unbeliever is to live the Christian life with conviction and zeal. If your friend walks away, know that at least you kept your integrity--and God honors that greatly! Finding some Christian friends will take some work, but then again--any goal worth achieving requires it.

Upvote 0