USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
"There remains a rest for the people of God. For he that has entered into his rest, he also has ceased from his own works as God did from his" Hebrews 4:9-10.

There are many that are trying to work their way into heaven by their works and their obedience to the law. They have not entered into his rest. No one will see heaven that has not entered into God's rest. What is this rest? The rest is the Gospel. In the Gospel Jesus defeats sin, death and the devil and throws open the gates of heaven so that whosoever will, may go in. Romans 10:13.

Those that believe the Gospel have ceased from their own works and obedience to the law and are resting in the righteousness and the obedience of Jesus Christ for their salvation. If you are a religious person this will not make sense to you. You have been taught that you must, you must, you must, or you will be anathema. Paul is saying... "stop working and enter into his rest".

There is an analogy concerning Hebrews 4:9-10. God commanded the Israelites to go in and possess the land that was promised to them. They had been wandering in the wilderness for over 40 years and now it was time to enter the promised land. But as usual, the Jews refused to obey God. God told them that he would help them to possess the land. They didn't believe him. "So, we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief" Hebrews 3:19. They finally did enter in, but only after God threatened to destroy them.

Paul wrote, "For unto us was the Gospel preached, as well as unto them (the Jews) but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it" Hebrews 4:2. We enter into Christ's rest by hearing and believing the Gospel. But if you don't believe the Gospel you cannot enter into his rest. In the Gospel Jesus has done it all and he did it perfectly. We rest in his righteousness and in his atonement for our sins.

The way we enter into His rest is clearly spelled out for us in Hebrews 4:10

Hebrews 4:10 For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His.

To enter His rest one has also ceased from his works as God did from His.

When did God cease from His works?

This very passage tells us:

Hebrews 4:4 For He has spoken in a certain place of the seventh day in this way: “And God rested on the seventh day from all His works”;

The place He has spoken of the seventh day in this way was the Sabbath commandment at Mt. Sinai and God rested from His work is a direct reference to the Sabbath at creation. Genesis 2:1-3

Hebrews 4:9 says
So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God,

The literal translation to rest here means keeping the Sabbath found in Exodus 20:8-11

a Sabbath rest
σαββατισμὸς (sabbatismos)
Noun - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 4520: A keeping of the Sabbath, a Sabbath rest

God’s people keeps God’s commandments and the Sabbath is a sign between God and His people. Revelation 14:12, Ezekiel 20:20, Ezekiel 20:12

I agree we cannot work our way into heaven, keeping the Sabbath commandment is no different than not worshipping other gods or stealing. We should not do these things to be saved, it is a fruit of ones faith. If someone says they put God first in their life, but are placing anything above God and breaking the first commandment or if one is stealing and not repenting and turn from their sin, you would question their commitment to God.

God bless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RobertPate

Dec 7, 2007
✟44,551.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
The way we enter into His rest is clearly spelled out for us in Hebrews 4:10

Hebrews 4:10 For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His.

To enter His rest one has also ceased from his works as God did from His.

When did God cease from His works?

This very passage tells us:

Hebrews 4:4 For He has spoken in a certain place of the seventh day in this way: “And God rested on the seventh day from all His works”;

The place He has spoken of the seventh day in this way was the Sabbath commandment at Mt. Sinai and God rested from His work is a direct reference to the Sabbath at creation. Genesis 2:1-3

Hebrews 4:9 says
So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God,

The literal translation to rest here means keeping the Sabbath found in Exodus 20:8-11

a Sabbath rest

God’s people keeps God’s commandments and the Sabbath is a sign between God and His people. Revelation 14:12, Ezekiel 20:20, Ezekiel 20:12

I agree we cannot work our way into heaven, keeping the Sabbath commandment is no different than not worshipping other gods or stealing. We should not do these things to be saved, it is a fruit of ones faith. If someone says they put God first in their life, but are placing anything above God and breaking the first commandment or if one is stealing and not repenting and turn from their sin, you would question their commitment to God.

God bless.
There is NOTHING about a Sabbath rest in Hebrews 4:9 in my KJV Bible. You have added "Sabbath rest" to the scriptures. This is why you don't have the truth. If you continue to pervert the scriptures with your own words you will never come to the truth.

You appear to be under the law. To be under the law is to be under the curse, Galatians 3:10. Paul clearly tells us that "Christ is the end of the law for righteousness for those that believe" Romans 10:4. You don't believe.

Jesus is the end and the fulfillment of all things. This is why Paul said, "The just shall live by faith" Romans 1:17. The just shall live by faith because Jesus is the end of the Old Covenant, the law and the Jewish religion.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
There is NOTHING about a Sabbath rest in Hebrews 4:9 in my KJV Bible. You have added "Sabbath rest" to the scriptures. This is why you don't have the truth. If you continue to pervert the scriptures with your own words you will never come to the truth.

You appear to be under the law. To be under the law is to be under the curse, Galatians 3:10. Paul clearly tells us that "Christ is the end of the law for righteousness for those that believe" Romans 10:4. You don't believe.

Jesus is the end and the fulfillment of all things. This is why Paul said, "The just shall live by faith" Romans 1:17. The just shall live by faith because Jesus is the end of the Old Covenant, the law and the Jewish religion.
Do me a favor and hit the link on Hebrews 4:9.

As I stated the rest here literally is translated into keeping the Sabbath.

a Sabbath rest

There is no scripture that says we can break any of God’s commandments including the 4th.

According to the scripture those who have faith in Jesus also keep the commandments of God.

Revelation 14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RobertPate

Dec 7, 2007
✟44,551.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Do me a favor an hit the link on Hebrews 4:9.

As I stated the rest here literally is translated into keeping the Sabbath.

a Sabbath rest

There is no scripture that says we can break any of God’s commandments including the 4th.

According to the scripture those who have faith in Jesus also keep the commandments of God.

Revelation 14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus
You appear to be practicing Old Covenant law and religion that has been abolished, Ephesians 2:15, Jesus nailed it to his cross, Colossians 2:14. Under the New Covenant Christians are led by the Holy Spirit and not by rules, laws or religion. Born again Christians do not deliberately sin. But those that are under the law will sin, because the law promotes sin, Romans 7:7-11.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You appear to be practicing Old Covenant law and religion that has been abolished, Ephesians 2:15, Jesus nailed it to his cross, Colossians 2:14. Under the New Covenant Christians are led by the Holy Spirit and not by rules, laws or religion. Born again Christians do not deliberately sin. But those that are under the law will sin, because the law promotes sin, Romans 7:7-11.
How so when I am quoting only New Covenant scriptures. Hebrews 4:9 and Revelation 14:12 is all new covenant and is what you are teaching, but not according to what the text actually says. You keep quoting Paul and misquoting him. Even in the scriptures we are warned many people misunderstand him to their own destruction. 2 Peter 3:16

Ephesians 2:15 and Colossians 2:14 is not referring to any of the Ten Commandments it is referring to ordinances and mainly the sacrificial system that all point to Jesus who became our sacrifice for sins when we repent and turn from sin. The Commandments is what points out sin Romans 7:7 1 John 3:4 and there is no scripture that says we are free to break the commandments of God anywhere in the entire bible. The saints are God's saved ones, not the lost and scripture clearly shows the saints keep the commandments of God and faith in Jesus until the very end. Revelation 14:12. This teaching of lawlessness that we do not need to keep God's law comes with some warnings, that I would pay attention to. Matthew 5:19, Matthew 7:21-23, Hebrews 10:26-30

God does not teach lawlessness is both Old and New Covenant teachings. If we love God, we keep His commandments according to the scriptures in both the Old and New Covenant teachings. 1 John 5:3, Exodus 20:6, John 14:15, John 15:10 for me I am sticking with what Jesus teaches and I love Him, so keeping His commandments is not burdensome to me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RobertPate

Dec 7, 2007
✟44,551.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
How so when I am quoting only New Covenant scriptures. Hebrews 4:9 and Revelation 14:12 is all new covenant. :) You keep quoting Paul and misquoting him. Even in the scriptures we are warned many people misunderstand him to their own destruction. 2 Peter 3:16

Ephesians 2:15 and Colossians 2:14 is not referring to any of the Ten Commandments it is referring to ordinances and mainly the sacrificial system that all point to Jesus who became our sacrifice for sins when we repent and turn from sin. The Commandments is what points out sin Romans 7:7 1 John 3:4 and there is no scripture that says we are free to break the commandments of God anywhere in the entire bible. The saints are God's saved ones, not the lost and scripture clearly shows the saints keep the commandments of God and faith in Jesus until the very end. Revelation 14:12. This teaching of lawlessness that we do not need to keep God's law comes with some warnings, that I would pay attention to. Matthew 5:19, Matthew 7:21-23, Hebrews 10:26-30

God does not teach lawlessness is both Old and New Covenant teachings. If we love God, we keep His commandments according to the scriptures in both the Old and New Covenant teachings. 1 John 5:3, Exodus 20:6, John 14:15, John 15:10 for me I am sticking with what Jesus teaches and I love Him, so keeping His commandments is not burdensome to me.
Jesus taught the Mosiac law. He did not just teach it, he elevated it and spiritualized it, Matthew 5:28 so that you will sin not by just what you do, but by what you think. Are all of your thoughts pure and without sin?

Under the New Covenant, "Christ is the end of the law for righteousness" Romans 10:4. If you are still trying to keep the law, you are feeding a dead horse because the law was abolished, Ephesians 2:15. Jesus nailed it to his cross, Colossians 2:14.

Under the New Covenant Christians are not led by laws, rules or religion, they are led by the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is their guide and their teacher, not the law. Not only are you practicing Old Covenant law and religion, you are also practicing Pharisaism. Which Jesus condemned, Matthew chapter 23.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Jesus taught the Mosiac law. He did not just teach it, he elevated it and spiritualized it, Matthew 5:28 so that you will sin not by just what you do, but by what you think. Are all of your thoughts pure and without sin?

Under the New Covenant, "Christ is the end of the law for righteousness" Romans 10:4. If you are still trying to keep the law, you are feeding a dead horse because the law was abolished, Ephesians 2:15. Jesus nailed it to his cross, Colossians 2:14.

Under the New Covenant Christians are not led by laws, rules or religion, they are led by the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is their guide and their teacher, not the law. Not only are you practicing Old Covenant law and religion, you are also practicing Pharisaism. Which Jesus condemned, Matthew chapter 23.
I know you keep repeating this one verse out of context even though many people have explained it to you. You’re free to believe what you want, and it appears you are going to dig your feet into this one passage despite your interpretation being in conflict with the entire bible and the teachings of Jesus.

If you love Me keep My commandments John 14:15

One of the last verse in the Bible right before Jesus comes:

Revelation 22:14 Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city. 15 But outside are dogs and sorcerers and sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and whoever loves and practices a lie.

The last thing anyone is going to what to hear are these Words when Jesus comes:

Matthew 7:21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them,I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

How does Jesus know us according to the scripture?

1 John 2:3 Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. 4 He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5 But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him. 6 He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked.

Jesus did not spiritualize the commandments so they no longer exists. Jesus came to magnify the law Isaiah 42:21 which means to make greater not lesser. If we are following the Spirit we will be keeping the commandments of God. Those who are in the flesh (sin) is against God’s law, Romans 8 so I guess you need to decide which camp you want to be in.

Paul puts it this way:

Romans 6:16 Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to righteousness?

Sin is the transgression of the law 1 John 3:4 and Paul points right to the Ten Commandments to define sin. Romans 7:7

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RobertPate

Dec 7, 2007
✟44,551.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
I know you keep repeating this one verse out of context even though many people have explained it to you. You’re free to believe what you want, and it appears you are going to dig your feet into this one passage despite your interpretation being in conflict with the entire bible and the teachings of Jesus.

If you love Me keep My commandments John 14:15

One of the last verse in the Bible right before Jesus comes:

Revelation 22:14 Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city. 15 But outside are dogs and sorcerers and sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and whoever loves and practices a lie.

The last thing anyone is going to what to hear are these Words when Jesus comes:

Matthew 7:21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them,I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

How does Jesus know us according to the scripture?

1 John 2:3 Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. 4 He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5 But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him. 6 He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked.

Jesus did not spiritualize the commandments so they no longer exists. Jesus came to magnify the law Isaiah 42:21 which means to make greater not lesser. If we are following the Spirit we will be keeping the commandments of God. Those who are in the flesh (sin) is against God’s law, Romans 8 so I guess you need to decide which camp you want to be in.

Paul puts it this way:

Romans 6:16 Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to righteousness?

Sin is the transgression of the law 1 John 3:4 and Paul points right to the Ten Commandments to define sin. Romans 7:7
You are practicing old Covenant law and religion that has been abolished, Ephesians 2:15. Jesus nailed it to his cross, Colossians 2:14. All that continue under the Old Covenant of law and religion are under the curse, Galatians 3:10.

Under the New Covenant God's people live by faith, Romans 1:17. They live by faith in Christ and his Gospel and not by laws, rules or religion. To follow after the law is to follow after sin. It is the law that promotes sin, Romans 7:7-9.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,518.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It is the law that promotes sin, Romans 7:7-9.
It doesn't promote it, it defines it. Had man not learned the knowledge of good and evil, then even the law would be as meaningless to us as it is to a cat.

Upvote 0

RobertPate

Dec 7, 2007
✟44,551.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
It doesn't promote it, it defines it. Had man not learned the knowledge of good and evil, then even the law would be as meaningless to us as it is to a cat.
The law promotes sin. This is why Christians are not under it or subject to it and is why Jesus nailed it to his cross, Colossians 2:14. Paul said, "But sin taking occasion by the the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence (lust) FOR WITHOUT THE LAW SIN WAS DEAD" Romans 7:7.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RobertPate

Dec 7, 2007
✟44,551.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
God said ever since the Garden to not put our will ahead of His. Are you saying that no longer applies?
What is God's will? God's will is that you believe in his Son Jesus Christ for your salvation.
When you do that God spiritually places you "In Christ". God only sees you "In Christ" Colossians 3:3. This is God's will for your life.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,518.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
We are not under any commandments. You can't do that anyway.
So Jesus commanded us saying the same thing God has said since the Garden... for nothing? So you and others could get around putting God's will first and taking responsibility for all others? There is a place in politics for that thinking.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You are practicing old Covenant law and religion that has been abolished, Ephesians 2:15. Jesus nailed it to his cross, Colossians 2:14. All that continue under the Old Covenant of law and religion are under the curse, Galatians 3:10.

Under the New Covenant God's people live by faith, Romans 1:17. They live by faith in Christ and his Gospel and not by laws, rules or religion. To follow after the law is to follow after sin. It is the law that promotes sin, Romans 7:7-9.

Whoever is teaching you these things I would find yourself a new church, because believing that you can worship other gods, bow to images, vain God’s holy name or break any of the commandments which is defined as sin Romans 7:7, 1 John 3:4 is not the way to eternal life. Hebrews 10:26-30 Lucifer thought he could be self-righteous and not follow God’s law and he was thrown out of heaven. I would not follow his example of what to do to not be in heaven.

Revelation 22:14 Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city.

Can this not be any clearer? We are not saved by keeping the law, we are saved by God’s grace though our faith. How does one have faith in Jesus, but not faith in what He teaches? Jesus said, If you love Me, keep My commandments John 14:15 repeated right from God’s law Exodus 20:6 and Jesus is the Mediator of the New Covenant that God’s laws are written in the heart and mind of the New Covenant believer. Hebrews 8:10. I would not want to write myself out of God’s New Covenant promise.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RobertPate

Dec 7, 2007
✟44,551.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Whoever is teaching you these things I would find yourself a new church, because believing that you can worship other gods, bow to images, vain God’s holy name or break any of the commandments which is defined as sin Romans 7:7, 1 John 3:4 is not the way to eternal life. Hebrews 10:26-30 Lucifer thought he could be self-righteous and not follow God’s law and he was thrown out of heaven. I would not follow his example of what to do to not be in heaven.

Revelation 22:14 Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city.

Can this not be any clearer? We are not saved by keeping the law, we are saved by God’s grace though our faith. How does one have faith in Jesus, but not faith in what He teaches? Jesus said, If you love Me, keep My commandments John 14:15 repeated right from God’s law Exodus 20:6 and Jesus is the Mediator of the New Covenant that God’s laws are written in the heart and mind of the New Covenant believer. Hebrews 8:10. I would not want to write myself out of God’s New Covenant promise.
All that believe the Gospel are granted the Holy Spirit. It is the Holy Spirit, not the commandments that brings about the Christians life. You are led by law when you should be led by the Spirit. The law will cause you to sin, Romans 7:7-9. The Spirit would never lead you into sin.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
All that believe the Gospel are granted the Holy Spirit. It is the Holy Spirit, not the commandments that brings about the Christians life. You are led by law when you should be led by the Spirit. The law will cause you to sin, Romans 7:7-9. The Spirit would never lead you into sin.
Do you even hear yourself? Breaking God's law is sin. 1 John 3:4, Romans 7:7

If one is led by the Holy Spirit they will be obeying God, not disobeying according to the scriptures.

Acts 5:32 And we are His witnesses to these things, and so also is the Holy Spirit whom God has given to those who obey Him.”

Romans 8:5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6 For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. 8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,518.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
All that believe the Gospel are granted the Holy Spirit. It is the Holy Spirit, not the commandments that brings about the Christians life.
And if anyone paid attention, they would realized that the HS was given to those already on the path of the Kingdom, to help keep them from falling back to the wayside. Jesus' followers were already on that path prior to His execution and resurrection. He sent the HS once the Kingdom became a reality and His work was finished. The Christian life is the result of abandoning the ways of man for instead the ways of the Kingdom. The HS keeps those that do strong in their belief and aware of pitfalls that may lead them back into the world of man.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RobertPate

Dec 7, 2007
✟44,551.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
And if anyone payed attention, they would realized that the HS was given to those already on the path of the Kingdom, to help keep them from falling back to the wayside. Jesus' followers were already on that path prior to His execution and resurrection. He sent the HS once the Kingdom became a reality and His work was finished. The Christian life is the result of abandoning the ways of man for instead the ways of the Kingdom. The HS keeps those that do strong in their belief and aware of pitfalls that may lead them back into the world of man.
The Holy Spirit is the Christians keeper and is God's mark of ownership. We are sealed with the Holy Spirit, Ephesians 1:13. There is no unsealing, once sealed always sealed. The Holy Spirit is also our guide and our teacher. He helps us to understand the Gospel, John 16:13. Those that are indwelt with the Holy Spirit will honor and glorify Christ, John 16:14.

Upvote 0