Entering Into His Rest

RobertPate

Dec 7, 2007
✟44,551.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
"There remains a rest for the people of God. For he that has entered into his rest, he also has ceased from his own works as God did from his" Hebrews 4:9-10.

There are many that are trying to work their way into heaven by their works and their obedience to the law. They have not entered into his rest. No one will see heaven that has not entered into God's rest. What is this rest? The rest is the Gospel. In the Gospel Jesus defeats sin, death and the devil and throws open the gates of heaven so that whosoever will, may go in. Romans 10:13.

Those that believe the Gospel have ceased from their own works and obedience to the law and are resting in the righteousness and the obedience of Jesus Christ for their salvation. If you are a religious person this will not make sense to you. You have been taught that you must, you must, you must, or you will be anathema. Paul is saying... "stop working and enter into his rest".

There is an analogy concerning Hebrews 4:9-10. God commanded the Israelites to go in and possess the land that was promised to them. They had been wandering in the wilderness for over 40 years and now it was time to enter the promised land. But as usual, the Jews refused to obey God. God told them that he would help them to possess the land. They didn't believe him. "So, we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief" Hebrews 3:19. They finally did enter in, but only after God threatened to destroy them.

Paul wrote, "For unto us was the Gospel preached, as well as unto them (the Jews) but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it" Hebrews 4:2. We enter into Christ's rest by hearing and believing the Gospel. But if you don't believe the Gospel you cannot enter into his rest. In the Gospel Jesus has done it all and he did it perfectly. We rest in his righteousness and in his atonement for our sins.

Last edited by a moderator:

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There are many that are trying to work their way into heaven by their works and their obedience to the law. They have not entered into his rest.
"by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified" (in Galatians 2:16).

"not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit." (Titus 3:5)

"we who first trusted in Christ" (in Ephesians 1:12)

So, I see how we trust in Jesus by resting in Him.

"Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for Him" (in Psalm 37:7)

"'Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.'" (Matthew 11:28-29)

So, no we do not get ourselves to do works, but there is the work of the Holy Spirit regenerating and renewing a person . . . so, I understand, the person becomes able to trust in Jesus and has the character to rest in Him, in submission to His "yoke".

So, it is like what I think >

Or simply put, there is no place in the Kingdom for those who continue to put their will ahead of the will of God.
We have been changed by God so we are not about ourselves, we are not trying to control our own selves, we are trusting Jesus by resting in how He takes us along.

It is kind of like being resurrected. In the resurrection we will be fully in God's power and guiding, with His almighty power keeping us and in this power He is personally guiding us at each moment.

So, why wait until after we die? Right now, we can rest in the resurrection power of the Holy Spirit so we be how God's power of love cures our character and has us being submissive to however our Father guides us in His peace > resting . . . flowing . . . in how He takes us along.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,518.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
We have been changed by God so we are not about ourselves, we are not trying to control our own selves, we are trusting Jesus by resting in how He takes us along.
Yes, but Jesus taught in the rejection of self that we turn to caring for others. Actually rejection of self IS caring for others because we will no longer use self interest which is often the cause of pain to others. It the whole point behind the thou shalt nots.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, but Jesus taught in the rejection of self that we turn to caring for others.
And with caring for others, we do works . . . of love. So, works are not totally out of the picture.
Actually rejection of self IS caring for others because we will no longer use self interest which is often the cause of pain to others. It the whole point behind the thou shalt nots.
Jesus says,

"If anyone desires to come after Me, let Him deny Himself, and take up His cross daily, and follow Me." (in Luke 9:23)

So, I would say "rejection of self" has to do with what Jesus means by "let him deny himself".

And the cross Jesus means includes how we become all-loving like Jesus was loving while on the cross.

That's a great point, about how we can hurt others because of our self interest. Thanks.

So, if a person gets with Jesus, there will be works. But this does not mean the works meant in what
Those that believe the Gospel have ceased from their own works and obedience to the law and are resting in the righteousness and the obedience of Jesus Christ for their salvation.
But it is clear >

"For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them." (Ephesians 2:10)

So, may be we can say we are not saved by works we got ourselves to do.

But if we have trusted in Jesus > Ephesians 1:12 > with God we are guaranteed to be doing works, with Him in His love.

Paul wrote this to people whom he says are "faithful in Christ Jesus" (in Ephesians 1:1).

• Winner
Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,518.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
And with caring for others, we do works . . . of love. So, works are not totally out of the picture.
Exactly.. otherwise the second commandment of Jesus need not exist

And the cross Jesus means includes how we become all-loving like Jesus was loving while on the cross.
Consider the two thieves on the cross. We are all thieves in that we are all sinners. Our choice is which thief we will be, the one who admitted guilt and proclaimed Jesus innocence (not thinking of self), or the thief who demanded something for himself to get off the hook. Which did Jesus say was saved?

That's a great point, about how we can hurt others because of our self interest. Thanks.
Consider the prime examples in the Bible, theft and adultery. Both serve self interest and another person is hurt as a result. So it is with self interest of any kind. What is the biggest example of self interest today? Corporatism which is now proclaiming itself a world government and operates on principles contrary to those of Jesus. Anti- comes to mind.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟276,593.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"There remains a rest for the people of God. For he that has entered into his rest, he also has ceased from his own works as God did from his" Hebrews 4:9-10.

There are many that are trying to work their way into heaven by their works and their obedience to the law. They have not entered into his rest. No one will see heaven that has not entered into God's rest. What is this rest? The rest is the Gospel. In the Gospel Jesus defeats sin, death and the devil and throws open the gates of heaven so that whosoever will, may go in. Romans 10:13.

Those that believe the Gospel have ceased from their own works and obedience to the law and are resting in the righteousness and the obedience of Jesus Christ for their salvation. If you are a religious person this will not make sense to you. You have been taught that you must, you must, you must, or you will be anathema. Paul is saying... "stop working and enter into his rest".

There is an analogy concerning Hebrews 4:9-10. God commanded the Israelites to go in and possess the land that was promised to them. They had been wandering in the wilderness for over 40 years and now it was time to enter the promised land. But as usual, the Jews refused to obey God. God told them that he would help them to possess the land. They didn't believe him. "So, we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief" Hebrews 3:19. They finally did enter in, but only after God threatened to destroy them.

Paul wrote, "For unto us was the Gospel preached, as well as unto them (the Jews) but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it" Hebrews 4:2.
We enter into Christ's rest by hearing and believing the Gospel. But if you don't believe the Gospel you cannot enter into his rest. In the Gospel Jesus has done it all and he did it perfectly. We rest in his righteousness and in his atonement for our sins.
We rest from our own work to save and in his work which has saved us.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Matthew 11:28-29
(28) Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.[
שׁבת]
(29) Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest [
שׁבת]unto your souls.
1Co 5:7 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover [
פסח] is sacrificed for us:
As Christians our Shabbat is Jesus and our Pesach is Jesus.

Upvote 0

RobertPate

Dec 7, 2007
✟44,551.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 11:28-29
(28) Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.[
שׁבת]
(29) Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest [
שׁבת]unto your souls.
1Co 5:7 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover [
פסח] is sacrificed for us:
As Christians our Shabbat is Jesus and our Pesach is Jesus.
The Jews said that the Torah was the way the truth and the life and was the light that lightened every man. John took what the Jews said about the Torah and applied it to Jesus, John 14:6. Many are making their religion their Jesus.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Jews said that the Torah was the way the truth and the life and was the light that lightened every man. John took what the Jews said about the Torah and applied it to Jesus, John 14:6. Many are making their religion their Jesus.
If I understand you correctly some have it completely backwards. If so, I agree.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟276,593.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Right. The religious are hung up on their works and their obedience.
We rest from our own works to save, we do not rest from our own works in the Holy Spirit which lead to righteousness leading to holiness (Romans 6:16, Romans 6:19); i.e., sanctification, for
"Without holiness, no one will see the Lord." (Hebrews 12:14)

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,518.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Many are making their religion their Jesus.
Look at how many are quick to defend their sect of Christianity before even considering defending the Gospel of the Kingdom which of course will replace that sect.

Upvote 0

RobertPate

Dec 7, 2007
✟44,551.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Look at how many are quick to defend their sect of Christianity before even considering defending the Gospel of the Kingdom which of course will replace that sect.
"Many will say to me on that day, Lord, Lord, didn't we?" Matthew 7:22.

• Agree
Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

RobertPate

Dec 7, 2007
✟44,551.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
We rest from our own works to save, we do not rest from our own works in the Holy Spirit which lead to righteousness leading to holiness (Romans 6:16, Romans 6:19); i.e., sanctification, for
"Without holiness, no one will see the Lord." (Hebrews 12:14)
All that have come to Christ as repentant sinners to be saved by him will receive the Holy Spirit. It is the work of the Holy Spirit to make us witnesses for Christ and his Gospel, Ephesians 2:10.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,518.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It is the work of the Holy Spirit to make us witnesses for Christ and his Gospel
And it is the work of the many unfortunates within various sects of Christianity to witness the sect ahead of the will of God. Modern day keepers of the Temple rather than conduits for God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Paul wrote, "For unto us was the Gospel preached, as well as unto them (the Jews) but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it" Hebrews 4:2. We enter into Christ's rest by hearing and believing the Gospel. But if you don't believe the Gospel you cannot enter into his rest. In the Gospel Jesus has done it all and he did it perfectly. We rest in his righteousness and in his atonement for our sins.

Do you actually read the chapters you quote from or do you just pick verses that appear to support your theology and paste them in without actually knowing what they’re even talking about? Why did God say that the Israelites would not enter into His rest? Let me give you a hint. Whenever you see a chapter that begins with the word “Therefore” you should go to the previous chapter and read it to see what it’s there for.

“Take care, brethren, that there not be in any one of you an evil, unbelieving heart that falls away from the living God. But encourage one another day after day, as long as it is still called “Today,” so that none of you will be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin. For we have become partakers of Christ, if we hold fast the beginning of our assurance firm until the end, while it is said, “Today if you hear His voice, Do not harden your hearts, as when they provoked Me.” For who provoked Him when they had heard? Indeed, did not all those who came out of Egypt led by Moses? And with whom was He angry for forty years? Was it not with those who sinned, whose bodies fell in the wilderness? And to whom did He swear that they would not enter His rest, but to those who were disobedient? So we see that they were not able to enter because of unbelief.”

‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭3‬:‭12‬-‭19‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

They were disobedient because they didn’t believe. This is referring to the Israelites who were disobedient and refused to go into the land of Canaan because they feared they would be killed and as a result God did not allow them to enter into the promised land.

It’s right there in chapter 4.

“For indeed we have had good news preached to us, just as they also; but the word they heard did not profit them, because it was not united by faith in those who heard. For we who have believed enter that rest, just as He has said, “As I swore in My wrath, They shall not enter My rest,” although His works were finished from the foundation of the world. For He has said somewhere concerning the seventh day: “And God rested on the seventh day from all His works”; and again in this passage, “They shall not enter My rest.” Therefore, since it remains for some to enter it, and those who formerly had good news preached to them failed to enter because of disobedience, He again fixes a certain day, “Today,” saying through David after so long a time just as has been said before, “Today if you hear His voice, Do not harden your hearts.” For if Joshua had given them rest, He would not have spoken of another day after that. So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God. For the one who has entered His rest has himself also rested from his works, as God did from His. Therefore let us be diligent to enter that rest, so that no one will fall, through following the same example of disobedience.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭4‬:‭2‬-‭11‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

Where did God swear that they would not enter into His rest? That’s a quote from the Old Testament.

“For He is our God, And we are the people of His pasture and the sheep of His hand. Today, if you would hear His voice, Do not harden your hearts, as at Meribah, As in the day of Massah in the wilderness, “When your fathers tested Me, They tried Me, though they had seen My work. For forty years I loathed that generation, And said they are a people who err in their heart, And they do not know My ways. Therefore I swore in My anger, Truly they shall not enter into My rest.””
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭95‬:‭7‬-‭11‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

Where is Meribah?

“He named the place Massah (test) and Meribah (quarrel) because of the quarrel of the sons of Israel, and because they tested the Lord, saying, “Is the Lord among us, or not?””
‭‭Exodus‬ ‭17‬:‭7‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

Meribah is where the Israelites quarreled against God, because of their disbelief they disobeyed Him. And now you use this passage of scripture to say that it’s ok for Christians to disobey God and they will still enter into His rest when the passage actually says that we must believe and obey Him in order to enter into His rest. Your preaching the exact opposite of what the passage is saying.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟276,593.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
All that have come to Christ as repentant sinners to be saved by him will receive the Holy Spirit. It is the work of the Holy Spirit to make us witnesses for Christ and his Gospel, Ephesians 2:10.
It is the work of the Holy Spirit to grow us in righteousness; i.e., holiness (Romans 6:16, Romans 6:19) that we may be witnesses for Christ.

Upvote 0

RobertPate

Dec 7, 2007
✟44,551.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Do you actually read the chapters you quote from or do you just pick verses that appear to support your theology and paste them in without actually knowing what they’re even talking about? Why did God say that the Israelites would not enter into His rest? Let me give you a hint. Whenever you see a chapter that begins with the word “Therefore” you should go to the previous chapter and read it to see what it’s there for.

“Take care, brethren, that there not be in any one of you an evil, unbelieving heart that falls away from the living God. But encourage one another day after day, as long as it is still called “Today,” so that none of you will be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin. For we have become partakers of Christ, if we hold fast the beginning of our assurance firm until the end, while it is said, “Today if you hear His voice, Do not harden your hearts, as when they provoked Me.” For who provoked Him when they had heard? Indeed, did not all those who came out of Egypt led by Moses? And with whom was He angry for forty years? Was it not with those who sinned, whose bodies fell in the wilderness? And to whom did He swear that they would not enter His rest, but to those who were disobedient? So we see that they were not able to enter because of unbelief.”

‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭3‬:‭12‬-‭19‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

They were disobedient because they didn’t believe. This is referring to the Israelites who were disobedient and refused to go into the land of Canaan because they feared they would be killed and as a result God did not allow them to enter into the promised land.

It’s right there in chapter 4.

“For indeed we have had good news preached to us, just as they also; but the word they heard did not profit them, because it was not united by faith in those who heard. For we who have believed enter that rest, just as He has said, “As I swore in My wrath, They shall not enter My rest,” although His works were finished from the foundation of the world. For He has said somewhere concerning the seventh day: “And God rested on the seventh day from all His works”; and again in this passage, “They shall not enter My rest.” Therefore, since it remains for some to enter it, and those who formerly had good news preached to them failed to enter because of disobedience, He again fixes a certain day, “Today,” saying through David after so long a time just as has been said before, “Today if you hear His voice, Do not harden your hearts.” For if Joshua had given them rest, He would not have spoken of another day after that. So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God. For the one who has entered His rest has himself also rested from his works, as God did from His. Therefore let us be diligent to enter that rest, so that no one will fall, through following the same example of disobedience.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭4‬:‭2‬-‭11‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

Where did God swear that they would not enter into His rest? That’s a quote from the Old Testament.

“For He is our God, And we are the people of His pasture and the sheep of His hand. Today, if you would hear His voice, Do not harden your hearts, as at Meribah, As in the day of Massah in the wilderness, “When your fathers tested Me, They tried Me, though they had seen My work. For forty years I loathed that generation, And said they are a people who err in their heart, And they do not know My ways. Therefore I swore in My anger, Truly they shall not enter into My rest.””
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭95‬:‭7‬-‭11‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

Where is Meribah?

“He named the place Massah (test) and Meribah (quarrel) because of the quarrel of the sons of Israel, and because they tested the Lord, saying, “Is the Lord among us, or not?””
‭‭Exodus‬ ‭17‬:‭7‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

Meribah is where the Israelites quarreled against God, because of their disbelief they disobeyed Him. And now you use this passage of scripture to say that it’s ok for Christians to disobey God and they will still enter into His rest when the passage actually says that we must believe and obey Him in order to enter into His rest. Your preaching the exact opposite of what the passage is saying.

The scripture says, "For we which believed do enter into rest, as he said, AS I HAVE SWORN IN MY WRATH (should be rendered exactly as it was in Hebrews 3:11) They shall not enter into my rest" Hebrews 4:3.

A lot of what you are saying is what I have already said.

We enter into his rest by simple child like faith in Christ and his Gospel, no works, or obedience necessary.

Upvote 0

RobertPate

Dec 7, 2007
✟44,551.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
It is the work of the Holy Spirit to grow us in righteousness; i.e., holiness (Romans 6:16, Romans 6:19) that we may be witnesses for Christ.
The word "holiness" does not appear in those scriptures. The scriptures teach that Christ is our righteousness and our holiness.

Upvote 0