Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I was offended by your inaccurate statement regarding the practice of atheists. Namely, "It's no secret that atheist parents indoctrinate their kids with all sorts of prejudices, save only that they do not push theism on them."
I am not offended by your remark that you think I didn't make my case.
Had you included the line immediately before that one in my post, you would have seen that your complaint and the whole issue you are trying to manufacture is baseless. Not only did I not single out atheists but never did I criticize any of the values you listed.

"This isn't really a problem of religion, though. Not of religious indoctrination any more than the hundreds of other values, etc. that the typical parent imposes upon the children. It's no secret that atheist parents indoctrinate their kids with all sorts of prejudices, save only that they do not push theism on them."

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,981.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Had you included the line immediately before that one in my post, you would have seen that your complaint and the whole issue you are trying to manufacture is baseless. Not only did I not single out atheists but neither did I criticize any of the values you listed. OK, now?
Here are both sentences:

Not of religious indoctrination any more than the hundreds of other values, etc. that the typical parent imposes upon the children. It's no secret that atheist parents indoctrinate their kids with all sorts of prejudices, save only that they do not push theism on them.
I'm not "trying to manufacture an issue". I'm commenting on what I perceive as an issue. I think it's one of the functions of a discussion forum.

Apparently you view the phrases "values, etc. that the typical parent imposes upon the children" is more or less equivalent to "indoctrinate their kids with all kinds of prejudices."

The first phrase is a comparatively gentle description, suggesting normal, reasonable behaviour. The only questionable word in it is "imposed", suggesting dictatorial parenting. But since the values being imposed are imposed by typical parents, that will be acceptable.

In contrast atheists don't just impose values, they indoctrinate their children with those values. And they are just any values, they include all kinds of prejudices. Not just the odd prejudice here and there, but all kinds.

So, yes, through your choice of words you singled out atheists. Through your refusal to answer my question you suggested the possibility you thought some of those values questionable. And even here you simply state that you did not "criticise any of the values", yet still failed to give them your seal of approval.

Am I OK? I still find your remark offensive, but you are - naturally - fully entitled to hold the view that you treated atheists and theists equally, and that I am making a fuss over nothing. We shall just have to disagree on that and perhaps on other things in future. Thank you for your time.

Note: this exchange is largely off-topic. If you have further comments to me to which you wish a reply please send me a pm. I shall be very unlikely to respond here.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So, yes, through your choice of words you singled out atheists.
No, I didn't. But I responded to the discussion here, which is about atheists in particular. If it had been about Buddhists instead, I would have mentioned them. :wave:

Upvote 0