USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps the Messianic folder (where there actually ARE some Jews) would be a better place to ask.
You cannot prove them wrong without violating the conditions of that forum.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Perhaps the Messianic folder (where there actually ARE some Jews) would be a better place to ask.

I'm looking for answers from a specific audience, particularly those within the Reformed tradition, regarding federal theology. Messianic Judaism, as far as I am concerned, has some serious theological problems regarding the covenant frameworking of Scripture and I do not wish to receive answers from such a group of people (no offense).

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You cannot prove them wrong without violating the conditions of that forum.
"Proving wrong" what would spark the interest of a Jew, as said by Jews? Why would you want to?
This is a question about what would work. There is no "proving" of anything in that.

• Agree
Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm looking for answers from a specific audience, particularly those within the Reformed tradition, regarding federal theology. Messianic Judaism, as far as I am concerned, has some serious theological problems regarding the covenant frameworking of Scripture and I do not wish to receive answers from such a group of people (no offense).
None taken.

But if you want to reach a Jewish audience with the gospel, (the gentile Great Commission) then I suggest it would be best to ask the Jews themselves what would work.

If you want a Reform based answer, then find someone who was raised in a religious Jewish home and is now a believer in the Reform tradition. (Presbyterian, RCA, etc)

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He guys,

Here's my question: is covenant theology the best way to engage a Jew?
It really depends on whether they are active or not. One of my good friends is a Jew and describes his
belief as the universe. After many discussions I did not make a dent as he did not believe in the OT either. If you come across a practicing Jew your challenge will be tradition and family. This is a strong draw to stay in Judaism, culture. The truth can be right in front of them yet they refuse to see.
I do think there is one point in the Messianic Christian circles, they may have a more seamless approach to the Gospel in the eyes of a Jew. As far as Covenant Theology and this group, it does stand in contrast to Old and New Covenants and is a non starter.
As in anyone either Jew or Gentile, spreading the Gospel through Christ is the best route. There are many theological systems however the one common denominator is Jesus Christ of Nazareth. Engage them with HIM.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
None taken.

But if you want to reach a Jewish audience with the gospel, (the gentile Great Commission) then I suggest it would be best to ask the Jews themselves what would work.

Well, I don't think being Jewish has much weight on it, but I can see where you are coming from. It is just that there have been many works written, theologians and preachers throughout history who can properly exegete Scripture better than most Jewish believers I've encountered online and offline. They seem for the most part all over the place (not all, my elder is Jewish). I feel that people are wanting to reinvent the wheel in these days, when people have spend a lot of time and thinking over doctrine for centuries.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, I don't think being Jewish has much weight on it, but I can see where you are coming from. It is just that there have been many works written, theologians and preachers throughout history who can properly exegete Scripture better than most Jewish believers I've encountered online and offline. I feel that people are wanting to reinvent the wheel in these days, when people have spend a lot of time and thinking over doctrine for centuries.
But no matter how polished your theology is, if it is not relatable to Jewish ears and minds it will be ignored.

Which means you will get exactly nowhere in engaging a Jewish audience.

• Agree
Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It really depends on whether they are active or not. One of my good friends is a Jew and describes his belief as the universe. After many discussions I did not make a dent as he did not believe in the OT either. If you come across a practicing Jew your challenge will be tradition and family. This is a strong draw to stay in Judaism, culture. The truth can be right in front of them yet they refuse to see.

Yeah, I've seen this. I am curious about those that are rigorously religious.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
But no matter how polished your theology is, if it is not relatable to Jewish ears and minds it will be ignored.

Which means you will get exactly nowhere in engaging a Jewish audience.

The point of this thread is to ask if covenant theology IS relatable to Jewish ears, and if so is this the best way to engage them. Covenant theology is the framework of Scripture, discussing the relationship between covenants and where Jesus Christ works within. I see federalism as originally intended for a Jewish audience, that should be aimed more for a Jewish audience.

You can't explain the gospel in abstract terms to a Jew, they need to know why we believe God must be revealed through Jesus Christ, and I see explaining the covenants the best way to get them to understand the whole divine scheme in Christ.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
My thread is based off of the book of Hebrews. It was written to a Jewish audience, with a Jewish understanding of the relationship between the Old and New Testament/Covenant. I am wondering if using the book of Hebrew's format is the best way to engage. Explaining it from the framework down to the detail in-between...instead of saying by itself things like "Jesus died for your sins," to which they reply, "Why does he need to die for my sins?"...because you broke God's Law, to which they will reply, "God's law doesn't say anything about hell." We should not be so abstract when talking to them...we need to explain it better. Is some of you understanding what I am talking about?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The point of this thread is to ask if covenant theology IS relatable to Jewish ears,
Yes. And those who were raised Jewish and later came to the Gospel are best equipped to answer that.
and I see explaining the covenants the best way to get them to understand the whole divine scheme in Christ.
Yes I understand that is how YOU see it; but is that the way THEY see it?

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yes. And those who were raised Jewish and later came to the Gospel are best equipped to answer that.

Yes I understand that is how YOU see it; but is that the way THEY see it?

I don't think it matter if you were raised Jewish, or even in Judaism. Judaism and much of the traditions teaches you very little about anything, it is more or less man's doctrine. If you can engage them with the Hebrew text, it may be of more proof to them that their belief system is actually flawed and that Christian actually understand the Scriptures better.

If we were to expand the gospel to its farthest limits, we would expand it to the covenants. If we explain the relationship of the covenants down to the details, we would be explaining the depths of the gospel message and how it fits with Jewish people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Proving wrong" what would spark the interest of a Jew, as said by Jews? Why would you want to?
This is a question about what would work. There is no "proving" of anything in that.
You need to prove there aren't any biblical Jews or members of Israel other than the Church, to properly make your case.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You need to prove there aren't any biblical Jews or members of Israel other than the Church, to properly make your case.

He is saying that Jewish Christians, who have been raised Jewish, are better equipped to reach Jews than Gentiles who can properly exegete Scripture. In some cases, he is right...but I am talking about a dialogue with someone who wants to engage.

Upvote 0