EnemyPartyII is going to renounce her homosexuality

EnemyPartyII

Sep 12, 2006
✟20,084.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi all, I just thought this was possibly worth an official thread all on its own...

A number of you out there seem to think that I'm wrong about homosexuality, that for some reason it is immoral and/or that God does not approve of it. Well, Since there is such a large amount of concern about the issue, I thought I'd set up a thread specifically for someone to explain to me why I should stop being a homosexual. To be absolutely clear and fair, I'll tell you what it will take to convince me to tell my partner to pack her bags;

1. "God says homosexuality is bad" or claims to that effect. If you can provide me conclusive evidence that the parts of the Bible that arguably condemn homosexuality are ACTUALLY God's words, and not the words of human authors, then I will accept them as God's words. I would also like conclusive evidence that "homosexuality is wrong in all circumstances" is an accurate translation of the original texts.

2. I believe that morality is determined by more than just "the Bible says" style arguments. So, if you can come up with a logically consistent argument as to why homosexuality is wrong, I'll renounce it. "Logically consistent" is the key though... if you want to tell me its "unnatural" or "dysfunctional", be prepared to explain to me why other unnatural or dysfunctional activities, like automobiles, computers and antibiotics are OK but homosexuality isn't.Also be prepared to logically and consistently defend your contention about functionality and nature. If you're going to tell me about HIV/AIDS rates among homosexuals, you'd better be prepared to explain to me why heterosexuals have a higher rate of HIV infection than homosexuals.

I really don't think I'm being unreasonable. Consider the sort of evidence you would require before giving up heterosexuality, and ask yourself if you are offering me a comensurate amount?

So, short version;

1. Overwhelming evidence that the Bible is ACTUALLY God's word AND it condemns homosexuality,

and/or

2. A logically coherent and consistent moral argument against homosexuality

And thats it. Either or both of the above, and I'll give up being a homosexual, and start trying to convince other homosexual people that they are in error. Can't say much fairer than that, can I?

EnemyPartyII

Sep 12, 2006
✟20,084.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi to the nice supportive people who've commented, but I just thought I'd add a note to say to anyone who thinks homosexuality is wrong... I am UTTERLY sincere in this offer... fulfil either or both of the above conditions, and I will genuinely, seriously, sincerely swear on my life and before God, never to commit another homosexual act.

Upvote 0

D.W.Washburn

The Artist Formerly Known as RegularGuy
Mar 31, 2007
United States
✟17,408.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Hi to the nice supportive people who've commented, but I just thought I'd add a note to say to anyone who thinks homosexuality is wrong... I am UTTERLY sincere in this offer... fulfil either or both of the above conditions, and I will genuinely, seriously, sincerely swear on my life and before God, never to commit another homosexual act.

Ahhh...so you aren't giving up your orientation, just becoming celibate.

That seems a little different to me.

Reactions: MsVicki
Upvote 0

Jase

Feb 20, 2003
✟10,432.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
So... no attempts to address my criteria yet?

I'm disapointed, though not surprised.
Hmm let's see. Which group of Christians most adamantly opposes homosexuality? Fundamentalists. Logical and coherent explanation + fundamentalist = oxymoron.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KCKID

Jan 12, 2008
Australia
✟4,479.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Um ...this one should do it ...Leviticus 18:22:- "Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable." Or, um, in YOUR case, "Do not lie with a woman as one lies with ...um ...a man." Or is that, "Do not lie with a, um ...oh heck, I'm all confused ...

Upvote 0

lincolngreen50

A follower of Christ
Oct 1, 2007
✟25,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And when Jesus hung on the cross,the people standing they mocked Him by saying that if He came down from the cross they would believe Him.They were ridiculing,scoffing and taunting Him but Hd rose above all that.Believers do not have to see to believe and the Bible tells us so_Our Lord is patient and if one repents they will be saved.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
If anyone is blind to the Biblical exclusions and condemnations, no one except Jesus Christ is going to be able to remove the scale from their eyes. Its a spiritual issue not an intellectual or academic one.

And when Jesus hung on the cross,the people standing they mocked Him by saying that if He came down from the cross they would believe Him.They were ridiculing,scoffing and taunting Him but Hd rose above all that.Believers do not have to see to believe and the Bible tells us so_Our Lord is patient and if one repents they will be saved.
So... you can't fulfil EPII's criteria?

Upvote 0

EnemyPartyII

Sep 12, 2006
✟20,084.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
So... you can't fulfil EPII's criteria?
You know, I really thought I made it fairly clear what my criteria are, and I REALLY thought they were fairly reasonable, considering what I'm offering to give up should either of them be met.

I'm disapointed that they didn't even take a stab at it but fell straight into the tired old "B-b-b-ut... the Bible SEZ!" routine.

Upvote 0

EnemyPartyII

Sep 12, 2006
✟20,084.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
If anyone is blind to the Biblical exclusions and condemnations, no one except Jesus Christ is going to be able to remove the scale from their eyes. Its a spiritual issue not an intellectual or academic one.

Well thus far, my spirit (you know, the seat of the conscience, and conduit of the Holy Spirit) convicts me that homosexuality is not a sin. But I guess now you have admited there is no intelectual or academic reason to condemn homosexuality, you can quit with all that offensive pseudo-scientific bable about homosexuals being "dysfunctional", so there's some good to be had.

Upvote 0

D.W.Washburn

The Artist Formerly Known as RegularGuy
Mar 31, 2007
United States
✟17,408.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

Sexual orientation is about who one is attracted to. One can give up sex acts and not give up orientation. In other words, a person can be celibate and still be straight or gay.

Upvote 0