End Times Anxiety, how do I deal with it?

Emerald518

Feb 24, 2018
Akron, Ohio
✟32,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
From my earliest days as a Believer, I've had horrible anxiety about the End Times that I've never been able to get a handle on, and it's only increased in the last few years with everything that's been going on...I believe it is imminent and we are closer to it than ever.

I think a lot of it comes from knowing that I'm not ready for what will be coming. My relationship with God has never been a very strong one because of trauma in my past before coming to faith, and my first couple of years as a Believer were ones where a lot of additional trauma in addition to what I already came into adulthood with happened, which has sadly made God and a lot of things associated with Christianity triggers for me. Even after almost 3 years of intense pastoral counseling, which has helped a great deal, I have not been able to get past my early experiences.

I know it's coming faster than we realize and I know I'm not ready for it...but at the same time, the thought of getting close to God again like I was when the most traumatic things happened to me triggers some pretty bad things and I don't know if I can do it. I'm stuck, how do I get unstuck?

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
From my earliest days as a Believer, I've had horrible anxiety about the End Times that I've never been able to get a handle on, and it's only increased in the last few years with everything that's been going on...I believe it is imminent and we are closer to it than ever.

I think a lot of it comes from knowing that I'm not ready for what will be coming. My relationship with God has never been a very strong one because of trauma in my past before coming to faith, and my first couple of years as a Believer were ones where a lot of additional trauma in addition to what I already came into adulthood with happened, which has sadly made God and a lot of things associated with Christianity triggers for me. Even after almost 3 years of intense pastoral counseling, which has helped a great deal, I have not been able to get past my early experiences.

I know it's coming faster than we realize and I know I'm not ready for it...but at the same time, the thought of getting close to God again like I was when the most traumatic things happened to me triggers some pretty bad things and I don't know if I can do it. I'm stuck, how do I get unstuck?
Matthew 6:25-34, Philippians 4:6 and 1 Peter 5:7

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,543.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Look at other theological views on eschatology (preterism, historicism...) and stop reading negative news. Or, any news. World has been many times in history in a much worse shape than today, but media must sell clicks and views and horrors and "shocking" news sell best.

If children are taught about persecution or "the end of the world", it may trigger anxieties, paranoia and similar problems in their adulthood. If its your case, deal with it like with other childhood trauma, your brain was not developed enough to withstand such ideas.

Upvote 0

Emerald518

Feb 24, 2018
Akron, Ohio
✟32,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Look at other theological views on eschatology (preterism, historicism...) and stop reading negative news. Or, any news. World has been many times in history in a much worse shape than today, but media must sell clicks and views and horrors and "shocking" news sell best.

If children are taught about persecution or "the end of the world", it may trigger anxieties, paranoia and similar problems in their adulthood. If its your case, deal with it like with other childhood trauma, your brain was not developed enough to withstand such ideas.
Thank you, this helps me some. And unfortunately, yes, while my family stopped going to church when I was six, there were quasi-Christian values in our home, so I knew about some of these things from an early age. I also grew up with an abusive and mentally ill father who was obsessed with conspiracy theories and had Infowars with Alex Jones on full blast pretty much 24/7. Sometimes he would even force me to sit at the kitchen table for hours at a time and listen to it while telling me all of the horrible things that were coming in the future. This is one of the many things that lead me to developing Complex PTSD, which I'm currently in treatment for.

• Informative
Reactions: trophy33
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,543.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you, this helps me some. And unfortunately, yes, while my family stopped going to church when I was six, there were quasi-Christian values in our home, so I knew about some of these things from an early age. I also grew up with an abusive and mentally ill father who was obsessed with conspiracy theories and had Infowars with Alex Jones on full blast pretty much 24/7. Sometimes he would even force me to sit at the kitchen table for hours at a time and listen to it while telling me all of the horrible things that were coming in the future. This is one of the many things that lead me to developing Complex PTSD, which I'm currently in treatment for.
There are quite a lot of views about eschatology, some are even very optimistic. So I would check them and maybe you will find out that the one you fear of is not a valid one at all.

Regarding the subconscious anxieties from childhood traumas, you do well, if you are dealing with them.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Sorry to hear this. Your choice of eschatology may be causing this anxiety. When we live in truth we have peace with our Lord Jesus Christ of Nazareth. Maybe start exploring other eschatological views. I was once in your position.
Blessings.

Reactions: Emerald518
Upvote 0

ari.sketch

Aug 14, 2023
Daejeon
✟7,389.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hope you are doing well, Emerald,
and glad to hear that you have been counselled as well.

In regards to end times ... my personal view is that I may not be ready for it as well, but God is, and He loves us, He will be there for us.
I know sometimes I emotionally I don't feel it, and even have doubts, but God's word is very clear about His love for us. I'm learning not to lean on my emotion and (limited) thoughts.

Are you able to read the Bible every day, even if it's just for a few minutes?

Are you still being counselled?

I think when you start to see God as who He really is, and how loving He is towards you, it can help with your end time anxiety.

I can point you to some teaching regarding Father God issues that have helped me if you'd like.

Upvote 0