US
✟1,102,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

California Republicans Made Massive Gains in 2022 with New Election Strategy - Is This the Key to Winning 2024?​

While the red wave may not have materialized as fully as Republicans hoped, with the help of some key California victories, the GOP now controls the House. What’s more, they may have ballot harvesting to thank.

In the past, Republicans have strongly opposed the election tactic. But according to Hector Barajas, a California Republican Party strategist, it is time to fight fire with fire, and the Democrats are not happy about it.

“It’s hypocrisy at its worst. I mean, they are crying foul over the rules that they implemented. What it’s done is it’s leveled the playing field for Republicans,” Barajas told The Western Journal.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Potential injuries"? Such as paper cuts?
Do you understand that the “potential injuries” were alleged in the dismissed lawsuit by Finchem and Lake? The judge didn’t buy it either.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well congratulations to Kevin McCarthy then, he'll have the exact same number in his caucus (222) that the Dems began the current Congress with 2 years ago.
Has McCarthy won the position yet? I thought the radical right was opposed to him.

Upvote 0

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟195,268.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If you're going to make an assertion like that, you should at least explain your reasoning.
Refusing to certify doesn't mean they question the results. They may simply not like the results. The courts determined that there were no grounds to question the results.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Has McCarthy won the position yet? I thought the radical right was opposed to him.

He was selected by the House GOP as their nominee for Speaker. Usually for the majority party that is enough to become speaker, but...

Let's just say Jan 3rd could be popcorn viewing on C-SPAN.

Upvote 0

Say it aint so

Jun 19, 2020
Seattle
✟118,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Do you understand that the “potential injuries” were alleged in the dismissed lawsuit by Finchem and Lake? The judge didn’t buy it either.
Not only that, their lawyers were sanctioned for bring up frivilous lawsuits. In otherwords, the Judge gave them the same sanctioned treatment other Judges gave the Trump lawyers for bringing up that 2020 nonsense.

Upvote 0

Don't Panic

Nov 25, 2022
Newfield
✟2,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
He was selected by the House GOP as their nominee for Speaker. Usually for the majority party that is enough to become speaker, but...

Let's just say Jan 3rd could be popcorn viewing on C-SPAN.
I think if enough far right republicans abstain, Hakeem Jeffries could get to be speaker.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I think if enough far right republicans abstain, Hakeem Jeffries could get to be speaker.

I think that is right, but it would be a large number. There is some question in my mind about various types of "not voting" and I want to work them out, so here we go...

The "218" number comes from a majority of the House itself. With 435 members, a majority (more than 435*half = 217.5) of that is 218.

Recently a Democratic member and member-elect died, so there will be 212 Democrats and 222 Republicans and the "Whole number of the House" (as it is officially known) will be 434 until that seat is filled by special election. 434*half = 217, so more than that is still 218. That's where we start. (For the start of the present Congress there were two empty seats, one member-elect had died and another vote was being recounted, so the Whole number of the House was 433 and a majority was 217.)

There are two ways to not vote for a candidate: Vote "present" and just not vote (a member can also vote for a minor candidate).

For ordinary "Yea v. No" votes, the side that wins is just the larger total wins, Yea > No or No > Yea, "present" and absent are effectively the same, but if the threshold is not which is larger, but an actual majority they can be different.

The phrase that comes to mind is "the majority of those present and voting" which makes me think that voting "Present" does count toward to size of the majority and being absent does not. So let's try two similar scenarios using the same people:

222 Republicans, 213 vote for McCarthy, 9 do not. 212 Democrats all voting for Jeffries.

Scenario A: 9 Republicans abstain.

Vote: McCarthy 213, Jeffries 212; 425 total (majority is 213 or more) McCarthy is elected Speaker.

Scenario B: 9 Republicans vote "Present" or "Trump" or "Jordan" or anyone else

Vote: McCarthy 213, Jeffries 212, Present 9; 434 total (majority 218 or more) No one is elected. Vote again.

Same number of votes for the "real" candidates, different outcomes.

Now let's tweek "A"

Scenario A-11: 11 Republicans abstain

Vote: McCarthy 211, Jeffries 212; 423 total (Majority is 212 or more) Jeffries is elected Speaker.

(With 10 abstentions the threshold is still 213, and we get a 212-212 tie, so no one is elected. Try again)

(It is possible that abstain and "Present" act like abstain in my example and the are not effectively different, but from what I have heard, there are ways for the majority threshold to drop below 218 without vacancies.)

McCarthy could be elected with 4 voting "present" or 9 who are absent from his party (if the rest all vote for him).

"Present" (or a vote for a different candidate) is a more bold statement, whereas being absent is more of a coward's move. The problem is there could be too many "cowards" making themselves absent so they should really talk to each other before they try this stunt or it could backfire.

Even if Jefferies was elected by too many on the far right being absent there is still the problem of running the House and even having the regular rules. (Rules are passed anew with each Congress in the House.) After electing a Dem as Speaker, I would expect the GOP to rally against the Dem rules package until significant concessions are made.

If McCarthy isn't elected on the first ballot (and I think he will be), it will likely be because 5 or more Republicans vote against him. If they can't cajole the crazies back or find an consensus alternative for subsequent votes, then we get to a coalition scenario that has already been floated by some "normie Republicans". Find a moderate GOP candidate that a majority including both Dems and GOP members can vote for and have some sort of 'power sharing'. We'll see if we get there. Stay tuned in.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟654,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Refusing to certify doesn't mean they question the results. They may simply not like the results. The courts determined that there were no grounds to question the results.
Unless you can come up with a credible source (leftist propaganda sites don't count) quoting where they didn't question the results, but just didn't like them, and that was supposedly the reason they didn't want to certify, then show it to us.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,102,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

Republicans denounce new House Dem leader Hakeem Jeffries as an ‘election denier’​

“Hakeem Jeffries called the 2016 election ILLEGITIMATE. Why are Democrats electing an ELECTION DENIER to lead their party? Where is the media outrage labeling Jeffries a THREAT to Democracy?” Rep. Ronny Jackson (R-Tenn.) said in a tweet Wednesday.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟654,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Republicans denounce new House Dem leader Hakeem Jeffries as an ‘election denier’​

“Hakeem Jeffries called the 2016 election ILLEGITIMATE. Why are Democrats electing an ELECTION DENIER to lead their party? Where is the media outrage labeling Jeffries a THREAT to Democracy?” Rep. Ronny Jackson (R-Tenn.) said in a tweet Wednesday.

Maybe they only see him as a threat to "Republicanisy", which is more acceptable unless you're a Republican.

Upvote 0

Don't Panic

Nov 25, 2022
Newfield
✟2,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Unless you can come up with a credible source (leftist propaganda sites don't count) quoting where they didn't question the results, but just didn't like them, and that was supposedly the reason they didn't want to certify, then show it to us.
The Cochise county board was protesting the vote in Maricopa county not their own county. They had no reason not to certify the count in their own county.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

I saw him simply claiming there was interference by Russia, which there was. And that a supreme court seat was stolen, which it was.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟654,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I saw him simply claiming there was interference by Russia, which there was. And that a supreme court seat was stolen, which it was.
Russian conspiracy theories and Court appointment denials are no match for a good president in office (Trump!)

• Informative
Reactions: HARK!

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Russian conspiracy theories and Court appointment denials are no match for a good president in office (Trump!)
There weren't conspiracy theories, they were proven quite true, and the SCOTUS was stolen.

As for a good president, we've been lacking for a truly good one for more than half a century.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟654,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
There weren't conspiracy theories, they were proven quite true, and the SCOTUS was stolen.

As for a good president, we've been lacking for a truly good one for more than half a century.
They were conspiracy theories that were debunked time and time again.
People who push the "SCOTUS was stolen" narrative often conflate these 2 myths.

• Informative
Reactions: HARK!

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
They were conspiracy theories that were debunked time and time again.
People who push the "SCOTUS was stolen" narrative often conflate these 2 myths.
Never debunked I'm afraid. SCOTUS was indeed stolen. A simple vote was denied for a democratic president, citing a reason suspiciously absent for a republican one.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Pregozhin is basically a walking war crime. Being able to arrest that guy would reduce some of the slaughter in Ukraine. (Though oddly enough the biggest beneficiaries would the convicts drafted into his mercenary army and marched into Ukrainian fire.)

Upvote 0