Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I know a lot about the ELCA since I grew up in it and I still go to an ELCA church when I am able to get out to my home church now where I feel like I belong, but I was asked, and I don't know, do ELCA bishops of synods and such still have home congregations where they serve on Sundays?

Or is it more administerial work with being a pastor to the pastors/congregations of synods?

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In general, no they do not have a seat that they are the pastor at. However, they often travel around the synod and give guest participation. They are celebrants at important services or ceremonies, such as Chrism mass and installation of a pastor or deacon. Sometimes our Bishop attends our Sunday services, but just as a "regular" member and not a celebrant. It is definitely more of an overseer and administrative role, which is probably more historical as it is. He also facilitates inter-country dialogue with other Lutheran synods outside of the USA that we interface with in the Caribbean and South America. However, I do with we would structure to have a Cathedral as the Episcopal Church (and some other Lutherans outside the USA) does, but it is not really how the ELCA is structured currently.

Here is a thread that might have more information as well:History and information on ELCA episcopal polity

• Informative
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
The ELCA's "diocese" are too big to have cathedrals in any sensible manner. The ELCA is basically congregationalist with the bishop serving a ceremonial and administrative role. Sure, there are regional synods but for the most part, the decision-making happens in the local congregation.

My local congregation has "opted out" of most of the recent recommendations from the bishop, for instance. I actually think that's not a good thing, but the church council gets the final say in alot of matters.

• Useful
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The ELCA's "diocese" are too big to have cathedrals in any sensible manner.
Some of them are very large, like the Sierra Pacific, but most of the synods are small enough, encompassing one state or slightly more than one state. Some are even just small parts of states.
The ELCA is basically congregationalist with the bishop serving a ceremonial and administrative role. Sure, there are regional synods but for the most part, the decision-making happens in the local congregation.
I think this is really the crux of it, the ELCA Bishop is really more of a historical model of a Bishop - a true overseer that travels the diocese ensuring the church's business is being handled.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Some of them are very large, like the Sierra Pacific, but most of the synods are small enough, encompassing one state or slightly more than one state. Some are even just small parts of states.

I think this is really the crux of it, the ELCA Bishop is really more of a historical model of a Bishop - a true overseer that travels the diocese ensuring the church's business is being handled.

I actually don't think it's really all that historical. In the ancient world, every city had a bishop, and bishops would travel within a much smaller geographic area. Also, people in the ancient world had alot more respect for their bishops, and tended to listen to them, because they held apostolic authority.

I think alot of ELCA Lutherans, OTOH, come from a more diffuse Lutheran identity, some intermarry with LCMS (who are even more congregationalist), and they basically have a congregationalist temperment they inherited from the dominant German Lutheran tradition. But in Scandinavia, the bishops have always been part of the Church's identity and continuity with the past.

Upvote 0