• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Effexor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mayflower1

Hello my Name is "Child of the One True King"
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't know but I have a similar question that I hope you don't mind me posting. I have to start taking medicine and I am afraid of its effects and stuff. Is Effexor good? Which is the best for Depression? I just want to be prepared when they give me medicine because my therapist said that is what my psychiatrist is going to do. Lily00:angel: p.s. sorry I can't answer your question!

Upvote 0

Stanfi

Senior Veteran
Aug 22, 2003
West Virginia
✟17,821.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
My experience with meds is that you just have to try them, and see what works best for you. Usually takes 2-3 weeks to see how they are going to work, so patience is a must.

I was orginally started on Zoloft, and had bad side effects. I have taken Lexapro for almost 3 years, but I think it has quit working as well, and I have a side effect of weight retention with it.

You just have to try different ones, and see which one is best for you.

Upvote 0

Mayflower1

Hello my Name is "Child of the One True King"
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am just scared of the side effects. I haven't been able to think clearly enough myself then with medicine! I am going to give it a shot though because I am really tired of feeling so low all of the time. Maybe it will help me with cutting too. Well, I guess that is the same with Effexor. You just have to try it awhile and see. I hear the name a lot though, both in good ways and bad so I guess it depends on the person. Lily00:angel:

Upvote 0

PastorMikeJ

combat veteran
Nov 10, 2005
Shaftsbury, Vermont
✟3,808.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have been on effixor for over 4 yrs now..I didn't have any side effects that were noticable...I am 150 units a day...I am alot better since I got on them.. I was on prozac then paxtel but I have found that effixor has helped me control my Post Tramactic Stress Disorder depression..

But make sure you ask your dr what are the side effects...

Upvote 0

PastorMikeJ

combat veteran
Nov 10, 2005
Shaftsbury, Vermont
✟3,808.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
BohemianChris said:
Effexor is a horrible drug. Good luck coming off it.

With best wishes,
Chris
it is easy to say it is a horrible drug but give us some examples or reasons....other than it is a horrible drug...But thanks anyway...

Upvote 0

Stanfi

Senior Veteran
Aug 22, 2003
West Virginia
✟17,821.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
BohemianChris said:
Effexor is a horrible drug. Good luck coming off it.

With best wishes,
Chris

Just because you may have had bad experiences with it, does not mean that it is a bad drug. I had a terrible expeirience with Zoloft, but many think it's great.

Upvote 0

katylees

Kaaaaty
Sep 13, 2003
bromsgrove/cardiff UK
Visit site
✟16,339.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Not experienced that one but i've been on fluoxetine/prozac, citalopram/celexa - both being SSRI's (increase the serotonin). They didn't really help me. I'm on Zispin SolTab/ Remeron now (increase serotonin and noradrenaline) and this is working for me apart from there's more side effects :(includiing weight gain nand increased hunger and also sleepiness ..and i have to get up at half 8 every morning for uni lectures grr ..but it makes me feel better on the whole.

You just need to try to see which ones work best for you i think. If you want to know more about anything then i;m here ..pm or email etc :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PastorMikeJ

combat veteran
Nov 10, 2005
Shaftsbury, Vermont
✟3,808.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
BohemianChris said:
It's not just me. The side effects are horrible. And, like I said, coming off it will be horrible.

And, for the record, I've never taken it.

With best wishes,
Chris
Well if you haven't taken it how can you say it is horrible...and I thought that coming off of prozac was the pits...but not as bad as coming off drugs...it being on it isn't as bad as my depression was before I started taking it...4 attempted suicides for example...

I do understand what you are saying about what you have heard...and I thank you for that...

Upvote 0

PastorMikeJ

combat veteran
Nov 10, 2005
Shaftsbury, Vermont
✟3,808.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
BohemianChris said:
Because I know people first-hand who have taken it. I can still have an objective opinion.

With best wishes,
Chris
of course you can!! and glad that you do...as do I... I am glad that I found effixor...it saved my life...I suffer from PTSD(post tramatic stress disorder) and the depression is wicked bad!! black and deep...so anything that keeps me level and clear headed is a great med...I know that the docs at the VA are glad for it for it has helped alot of vets handle their depression...and when I get off from will be the happyiest days of my life...for then I know that I have beaten the odds and survived..

Again thanks for your input...:thumbsup: :)

Upvote 0

autogirl222

Feb 16, 2006
✟15,127.00
Faith
Christian
Hey, I have been on effexor for about 8 months now and am doing great. Initially when diagnosed with depression my doctor put me on Paxil. I was forlornly tired and gained weight. Which you know, gaining weight as opposed to feeling good is not such a bad trade off, but I found I really couldn't function. I fell asleep during lawyer appointments (not kidding), church, church functions etc. I felt I was more doped from feelings. Then I was switched to Wellbutrin which didn't do a thing for me. I tried it for 3 months and had anxiety and just wasn't myself.
Effexor was my doctor's next suggestion and it took a few weeks but it's working great. I don't have the sleepiness i had with paxil. I definitely feel like myself. So it worked for me. But like my doctor said, everyone works differently. Don't quit trying till you find the one that works for you.

Reactions: Stanfi
Upvote 0

foo-oswald

There goes my hero...just a patsy...
Mar 11, 2004
Right here
✟2,566.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Stanfi said:
Just because you may have had bad experiences with it, does not mean that it is a bad drug. I had a terrible expeirience with Zoloft, but many think it's great.

I switched to Effexor from Zoloft because of...ahem...some embarassing side-effects.

I've been riding the Effexor train now for two years, and I love it. I've had zero side-effects with it...

Reactions: Stanfi
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mom2emb

Feb 20, 2006
Kansas, USA
Visit site
✟7,631.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have taken Effexor, and come off of it. (And went back on it at a later time, and have just come off again!) I had nothing but good luck with it, and coming off it was not a problem. I know that this is not everyone's experience, and what I can tell you is the same as everyone else has said...talk to your doctor, discuss the options and side effects, and make an informed decision!

Upvote 0
C

catlover

BohemianChris said:
It's not just me. The side effects are horrible. And, like I said, coming off it will be horrible.

And, for the record, I've never taken it.

With best wishes,
Chris

Then how would you know?

I have come off of Paxil at one time, Effexor another time. Yes, one is dizzy for about a week, but it's not "horrible". It's horrible if you go off it cold turkey against doctor's order.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.