Edible pot , and children getting a hold of it.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Sadly, Because of my two of my family member smokes pot. I voted for it. With I thought they would be responsible enough. For this stuff not to happen.
Probably most users are, but there are so many ways that legal pot or just the active ingredient can be disbursed, and accidents can happen, or people just think there are no lasting effects, that I do not see how there cannot be problems. By the way, I think I saw on some TV show that 40% of the sales in Colorado are in the form of candy or something else other than as material for smoking.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,152.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Of course this will happen, and more; and it is a shame that the voters did not give any thought to the consequences of approving recreational pot when they went to the polls.
You can't legislate stupid or irresponsible people. If that were the case government would be in the slammer.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,152.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It sounds like an accident, but you can't be too careless with babies around.
The kid could have gotten into liquor and suffered alcohol poisoning but a hospital reporting that indiscretion would step on the toes of tradition that has glorified the intoxicant unlike THC.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You can't legislate stupid or irresponsible people. If that were the case government would be in the slammer.
Not just because of this incident . This would fit her. But she loves her kids.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not just because of this incident . This would fit her. But she loves her kids.
"Love" is a lot more than just having positive emotions. It includes being responsible.

Upvote 0

ObadiahHaidabo

Apr 8, 2019
Portland, Oregon
✟13,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not a big deal. Pot, especially in small quantities(which it would be in a single gummy), is relatively harmless.

First, not a safe assumption. I live in Oregon and am in Washington a lot. Gummies in Oregon are 5mg THC but 10mg in Washington. However, I have seen products which are 100mg in a single edible dose (not sure why they're sold, given Washington's laws, but it's not my industry). I saw one product which looked like those waxy kid's treats that have sugary liquid inside. 100mg. And in the same packaging as the same product in a 10mg dose. The only difference was 12-point lettering on the package...once it was out of the package, they were indistinguishable.

But yes, it was probably 5mg or 10mg. Relatively harmless compared to opiates or plutonium? Definitely.

But for a small body with no prior exposure, that is sufficient to cause an extended, intense high. Eating a piece of candy and then hours later feeling the onset of intense cannabis effects is disorienting, terrifying, and disturbing, especially when you have no idea why you're feeling it.

I fully understand what you're saying in that this child is not going to have life-long effects from this experience but we shouldn't discount the immediate effects or the shocking lack of responsibility by the parent.

And to be clear - I say "shocking lack of responsibility" because we're dealing with drugs, and in this case, I hold marijuana to the same standard I would hold any other drug. Cats can die from eating a single aspirin. I take prescription medicine that would probably be fatal to my child if she accidentally ingested one. I'm careful not to leave such medications where they can do harm, and it's right to expect that level of responsibility from everyone.

Upvote 0