✟69,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
copyChkboxOff.gif
2Ki 6:26 - Then, as the king of Israel was passing by on the wall, a woman cried out to him, saying, “Help, my lord, O king!”

2Ki 6:27 - And he said, “If the LORD does not help you, where can I find help for you? From the threshing floor or from the winepress?”

2Ki 6:28 - Then the king said to her, “What is troubling you?” And she answered, “This woman said to me, ‘Give your son, that we may eat him today, and we will eat my son tomorrow.’

2Ki 6:29 - “So we boiled my son, and ate him. And I said to her on the next day, ‘Give your son, that we may eat him’; but she has hidden her son.”
That has to be one of the most ridiculous conversations ever. It's like something from a Monty Python sketch. Come to think of it, some Monty Python sketches were more believable!

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Many times God brings something about simply by removing his protection and allowing wicked nations like the Babylonians to do their worst. It would be misleading to say that God imposed cannibalism on the Israelites.
Kinda' ruins the notion of a 'heavenly father,' tho.

Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
According to Leviticus your God imposed this (cannibalism), along with threatening other extreme punishments, for failing to stick with the rules he imposed.

I think Merle's point is that God's punishment is extreme and immoral by our standards. How can you justify His actions?
OB
It was not God's punishment. That is what descriptive rather than prescriptive means. We see this prophecy fulfilled as TreeofLife pointed out during the siege of Jerusalem by Nebuchadnezzar circa 587/6 BCE. So Merle will have to come up with a different example. One that is not a warning, "If you do x then y will happen."

Every parent on the planet does as much. The Levitical laws are littered with examples of for things like stoning your children for dishonoring their parents...I recommend that be the subject or something like it, if one plans on impugning the moral nature of God.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Many times God brings something about simply by removing his protection and allowing wicked nations like the Babylonians to do their worst. It would be misleading to say that God imposed cannibalism on the Israelites.
Yes I can see that as possible
Ezekiel 22 is a rather interesting troubling chapter for me.
How would God accomplish gathering the Israelites into Jerusalem to "melt them in a furnace". Is this still future or could it have been Jerusalem in 70ad?

Isa 31:9
He shall cross over to his stronghold for fear, And his princes shall be afraid of the banner,” Says the LORD, Whose fire is in Zion And whose furnace is in Jerusalem.

Ezekiel 22:
16You shall be profaned in yourself, in the sight of the nations; and you shall know that I am Yahweh.

17The word of Yahweh came to me, saying, 18Son of adam!,
the house of Israel is become dross to me: all of them are brass and tin and iron and lead, in the midst of the furnace; they are the dross of silver.
19Therefore thus says the Lord Yahweh: Because you have all become dross, therefore, behold, I will gather you into the midst of Jerusalem. 20As they gather silver and brass and iron and lead and tin into the midst of the furnace, to blow the fire on it, to melt it; so will I gather you in my anger and in my wrath, and I will lay you there, and melt you.
21Yes, I will gather you, and blow on you with the fire of my wrath,
and you shall be melted in its midst.
22As silver is melted in the midst of the furnace, so you will be melted in its midst;
and you will know that I, Yahweh, have poured out my wrath on you.

Upvote 0