• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Eating diorders are addictions, right? Well sort of I guess. About "Grace"....

Richard.20.12

Dec 13, 2020
Vancouver
✟39,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I wonder if people working with those with eating disorders have noticed if saying Grace before eating (not a memorized robotic bunch of words rattled off nonchalantly!) but really giving thanks to Jesus for having that food, helps people with eating problems. Does feeling appreciative help us not need to binge? To be satiated earlier? To feel appetite satisfaction?

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,040.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I wonder if people working with those with eating disorders have noticed if saying Grace before eating (not a memorized robotic bunch of words rattled off nonchalantly!) but really giving thanks to Jesus for having that food, helps people with eating problems. Does feeling appreciative help us not need to binge? To be satiated earlier? To feel appetite satisfaction?

Or is it possible that by saying Grace we are sanctifying and justifying the eating? The basic rules of operant conditioning would suggest we should avoid associating a good act (a grace prayer) with an undesirable act (eating as a disorder).

OB

Upvote 0

Richard.20.12

Dec 13, 2020
Vancouver
✟39,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Or is it possible that by saying Grace we are sanctifying and justifying the eating? The basic rules of operant conditioning would suggest we should avoid associating a good act (a grace prayer) with an undesirable act (eating as a disorder).
OB
We all have to eat. No way around that. What I'm talking about eating past the point of appetite satisfaction. And its not really association to me. Being thankful is positive and overeating is negative. I don't hear of Christians talking about this yet obesity is very prevalent in Christians communities today. Maybe because its so common they don't want to alienate their flock by talking about it. I have yet to meet anyone that is happy their waistline is expanding!

Upvote 0