Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die.

AbortMission

Apr 22, 2010
✟7,668.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
You may have noted that as people do not believe in accountability, so goes their behavior. People also try to shift blame for their own mistake onto others, where they imagine that there is no GOD.
Calvinists don't believe in accountability, guess that explains why all the predestination kiddos always misbehaved.

Upvote 0

metherion

Veteran
Aug 14, 2006
✟13,623.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I have never NOT believed in an afterlife.

BUT.

If there is an afterlife, people generally don't get to go freely back and forth from one side to the other. So I try and live my life in a good way both because I believe it is what God wishes of me and because I would like to be remembered well by people on THIS side.

Metherion

Upvote 0

Shrader25

God Bless America!
Mar 18, 2010
Earth
✟15,227.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You may have noted that as people do not believe in accountability, so goes their behavior. People also try to shift blame for their own mistake onto others, where they imagine that there is no GOD.

You mean like many Christians who claim that satan tempted them....made them do it?:wave:

Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Don´t eat, don´t drink, and don´t be merry for there is an afterlife.
:confused:

Of course! Starve so you'll get there quicker; don't drink because alcohol is flammable and your soul will burn for all eternity if you do; and don't be merry because you'll spoil your appetite for eternal fun.

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Everything in wise moderation, including eating, drinking, and merriment.

I don't see how an afterlife would change any of this, unless God gets really angry at people who like to attend parties.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I sort of get this picture of a boozed out guy, cocaine residues under the nose, hookers all around on the floor, and staring out vacantly into his ravaged apartment, he wonders, "how on earth did I get to feel so empty inside?"

Incredibly, I'm pretty sure that's the same guy Little Nipper is imagining.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
You may have noted that as people do not believe in accountability, so goes their behavior.
...and accountability, of course, entirely depends on the existence of an afterlife. :cool:
People also try to shift blame for their own mistake onto others, where they imagine that there is no GOD.
Sort of like Christians who try to shift blame for their mistakes on "the world":
LittleNipper said:
Some may now, but I believe they have been influenced by the world.
?

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
You may have noted that as people do not believe in accountability, so goes their behavior.

More precisely, as people do not think ahead towards the consequences of their actions, so goes their behavior. Consequences take many forms, not just in terms of "accountability".

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
If this life is all we have, should we live any differently than we would if there were an after life?
Depends what sort of "afterlife" we are talking about, and what continuities, discontinuities and carryover of consequence exist from one to the other.

If one takes a dualist approach where the object is to escape this life to the other as quickly and painlessly as possible then obviously that will have implications for how one treats the rest of this world in the meantime.

By contrast the early Christian view of eventual resurrection into a world put right and a call to anticipate that kingdom's life in the present had huge implications for how they lived.

Upvote 0

yasic

Part time poster, Full time lurker
Sep 9, 2005
✟14,558.00
Faith
Atheist
If this life is all we have, should we live any differently than we would if there were an after life?

Most certainly we should!

If this is the only life we have, we must find those we wronged and get their forgiveness and make amends, for we will never have the opportunity again. We must ensure that our friends and family as as well off in their life as we can, for no second chance will be given to us. We must make sure to act our best and harm as few as physically possible as no magic fairy, no wish stick, no God, no genie will grant us magical forgiveness.

We must also take time to enjoy life. We should embrace the aroma of a field of flowers, we must bask in the beauty of natures natural water falls, we must stand in awe of the power of love between people, as such great pleasures are here for only a small number of years for us. There will be no great field of flowers in heaven, no waterfalls on the battle fields of vanhallah, and no love on the back of the great turtle. This is all we have, and we must make the best of it!

Upvote 0

LittleNipper

Contributor
Mar 9, 2005
MOUNT HOLLY, NEW JERSEY
✟10,349.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Calvinists don't believe in accountability, guess that explains why all the predestination kiddos always misbehaved.

Do they alway misbehave? I feel you are making statements for which you have no proof. Most christians I know tend to lean towards legalism. They say one shouldn't do this or that in order to set a good example of a changed life.

People who regularly get into barroom brawls don't seem to be the one one runs into at church. At least that seems to be what I see it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟255,633.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
It seems to be the same place you get all your ideas about secularists.

I'm dismayed by the fact that he seems unwilling to discuss his view of atheists...

I just don't understand it. If I have an incorrect aspect of my world view, I'd welcome information that changes it. I don't stick my head in the sand just because I prefer to believe things are a certain way.

Upvote 0

Brother_Mark

Apr 23, 2010
Dallas, Texas (USA)
✟15,137.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The Bible states that alcohol is a beverage than can (and should) be enjoyed by Christians (Ecclesiastes 9:7)

I am probably one of the last Conservative Christians who drinks hard liquor, wine and beer, though as I have gotten older, beer doesnt seem to agree with me. I do drink hard liquor or a small glass of red wine after prayers each day and enjoy the taste very much. I've found vodka and whiskey to be *superb* for the human body, especially after a good workout on weights.

The objective of alcohol is always: for enjoyment. *Never* as a crutch for your problems.

For Christians who beleive alcohol is evil please remember that Christ turned water into wine, not milk (John 2:1-11; Matthew 26:29).

In Christ,
Brother Mark +

Upvote 0