new york
✟15,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am really overwhelmed to know where to begin with digital privacy/internet and app safety. There are so many news stories about big tech and data leaks and creepy apps. But there's this youtube channel that puts out short videos that I have found useful - and I wanted to share it here. Some of the videos are about how to turn on parental controls, some are about how to make things private on social media, some on app safety, etc. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_0VwMw0cVJG7iRthxBYTAQ/videos Just in case you're like me and want to increase my and my family's privacy and safety online.

NomNomPizza

Feb 23, 2021
Warsaw
✟14,265.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
These leaks aren't random its just these corpos selling data and making it look like it's hack because previously when they were doing it they got fined for it cuz its illegal.

Don't use thier services so u don't have ur data leaked simple.

Reactions: sam paulie
Upvote 0

sam paulie

Apr 15, 2021
new york
✟15,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
True. But a lot of these companies are necessary for participating in modern life because they're so integrated into every day life.. I think that collecting/sharing/exploiting people's data should be made unviable as a business model somehow.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟910,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
These leaks aren't random its just these corpos selling data and making it look like it's hack because previously when they were doing it they got fined for it cuz its illegal.

Don't use thier services so u don't have ur data leaked simple.

I haven't had my data hijacked in a really long time. Been a member of yahoo mail since the early 90s. I don't even really get all that much spam either.

It's all about your security online. Companies like yahoo may sell our information (if they do) but it's all about having a safe presence on and offline.

Especially when every computer has cable internet these days and is usually ALWAYS connected to the internet (many people leave their computers on 24/7). If that connection isn't secure that's just asking to get hacked.

I've been telling my parents that for years and also telling them not to leave super sensitive information lying directly on their desktop. Anyone shady can access that information and steal your identity. Just.. not a good idea.

I personally live in the woods in the middle of nowhere so I don't really secure my computers but I sure do secure my online presence. I mean the last time a crime happened around here was over 30 years ago lol.

What's REALLY stupid though is if you have a wireless router and use an easy crackable password anyone within several hundred feet from you can commit crimes using your wireless internet connection and you would get blamed for them because there wouldn't be any proof it wasn't you that did it. Just... yeah stay safe.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟378,031.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I haven't had my data hijacked in a really long time.
You can't really know that, though. It might have been compromised, no exploits of that data have come to your attention yet.

What's REALLY stupid though is if you have a wireless router and use an easy crackable password anyone within several hundred feet from you can commit crimes using your wireless internet connection and you would get blamed for them because there wouldn't be any proof it wasn't you that did it. Just... yeah stay safe.
Yep. Guard your wifi, and make sure your router isn't convenient for guests to physically access.

Upvote 0