Not open for further replies.

dsided4him

May 29, 2005
✟144.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was born into the Byzantine Catholic church and never paid close attention to it's history. I left the church when I was young. I am going to visit my parents in a few weeks and will be joining them in the church of my youth.

I am most curious because they have a new priest and he is in the process of returning the church to it's orthodox roots.

I have a couple questions that I hope someone can help with...
1. Does the Byzantine Catholic church fit the Eastern Orthodox tradition anymore, or are they considered part of the Roman Catholic church only? (Since they are now under the Pope of Rome)
2. Does anyone know what caused the schism during the 60's that split the Byzantine church (along with my family)? My mother mentioned priest celebacy as the cause, but I was hoping for some clarification.

I appreciate any input to these questions.
God Bless

Wiffey

He is my refuge and my fortress...
Oct 27, 2004
✟18,913.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The Byzantine Catholic Church is part of the Roman Catholic Church, in communion with Pope Benedict XVI. It is not in communion with Eastern Orthodoxy...

The Catholic forum, OBOB, would probably be the best place to ask. There is at least one Eastern/Byzantine Catholic there (Irish Melkite) who is very knowledgeable and could better answer your questions.

May God bless you as you reconnect with your faith!

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
dsided4him said:
I was born into the Byzantine Catholic church and never paid close attention to it's history. I left the church when I was young. I am going to visit my parents in a few weeks and will be joining them in the church of my youth.

I am most curious because they have a new priest and he is in the process of returning the church to it's orthodox roots.

I have a couple questions that I hope someone can help with...
1. Does the Byzantine Catholic church fit the Eastern Orthodox tradition anymore, or are they considered part of the Roman Catholic church only? (Since they are now under the Pope of Rome)
2. Does anyone know what caused the schism during the 60's that split the Byzantine church (along with my family)? My mother mentioned priest celebacy as the cause, but I was hoping for some clarification.

I appreciate any input to these questions.
God Bless

The Byzantine Catholic Church of St. Mary's in Van Nuys has a new priest who is returning that parish to it's "Orthodox" roots. They are adopting OCA music but they are still Catholics.

A huge part of their choir joined us for Pascha to really learn the OCA music, but of course, they could not receive Holy Communion with us. Still it was very nice as they have some wonderful sopranos, tenors and basses who added so much to our Pascha celebration... and they knew more slavonic than we did. So it was a win-win situation.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.