Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So this year I wanted to celebrate Passover with my family instead of Easter and have the holiday actually commemorate and praise the burial and resurrection of Christ as the Passover lamb, instead of doing the weird egg and rabbit thing I've done my entire life. Does anybody have any experience with that? What would you recommend that aligns with scripture, and what is the best way to eliminate any pagan elements from it?

Any details about the food, the tradition, and the best way to commemorate it that is as faithful to the Lord as possible would be great. Basically, I could use a play by play Passover itinerary.

Thanks in advance.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Actually, "Passover" as it is understood today encompasses 3 different moedim (appointed days); Passover proper, the Feast of unleavened bread, and Yom haBikkurim (the day of First Fruits)

It is the latter that is associated with Resurrection.

For the Passover proper - which lasts only as long as a couple of hours - you can do a web search for a Messianic Passover Hagaddah. It gives the complete service with preps and how it ties into the Last Supper.

I would ask on the Messianic forum for ideas on Bikkurim.

• Winner
Reactions: Call me Nic
Upvote 0

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Actually, "Passover" as it is understood today encompasses 3 different moedim (appointed days); Passover proper, the Feast of unleavened bread, and Yom haBikkurim (the day of First Fruits)

It is the latter that is associated with Resurrection.

For the Passover proper - which lasts only as long as a couple of hours - you can do a web search for a Messianic Passover Hagaddah. It gives the complete service with preps and how it ties into the Last Supper.

I would ask on the Messianic forum for ideas on Bikkurim.
Great thanks a bunch!

Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
So this year I wanted to celebrate Passover with my family instead of Easter and have the holiday actually commemorate and praise the burial and resurrection of Christ as the Passover lamb, instead of doing the weird egg and rabbit thing I've done my entire life. Does anybody have any experience with that? What would you recommend that aligns with scripture, and what is the best way to eliminate any pagan elements from it?

Any details about the food, the tradition, and the best way to commemorate it that is as faithful to the Lord as possible would be great. Basically, I could use a play by play Passover itinerary.

Thanks in advance.

How about Pascha? :)

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How about Pascha?
You mean
psc.gif
Pesach
?

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
You mean
psc.gif
Pesach
?

Pascha (Greek: Πάσχα), is the feast of the Resurrection of the Lord. Pascha is a transliteration of the Greek word, which is itself a transliteration of the Aramaic pascha, from the Hebrew pesach meaning Passover

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Pascha (Greek: Πάσχα), is the feast of the Resurrection of the Lord. Pascha is a transliteration of the Greek word, which is itself a transliteration of the Aramaic pascha, from the Hebrew pesach meaning Passover
Why is Passover (Pesach) taken as the feast of Resurrection rather than Yom haBikkurim?

1 Corinthians 15:20
But now Christ has been raised from the dead, the first fruits (Bikkurim) of those who are asleep.

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Why is Passover (Pesach) taken as the feast of Resurrection rather than Yom haBikkurim?

1 Corinthians 15:20
But now Christ has been raised from the dead, the first fruits (Bikkurim) of those who are asleep.

The whole period is called Pascha...passing over from death to life.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate

Thanks in advance.
Sounds to me like you are throwing the baby out with the bath water. You're going to give up Easter because you oppose Easter eggs?

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,085,787.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

Thanks in advance.

Your chances of getting your family to participate in a Passover celebration are way not good if they are typical in this culture. For one thing they have to eat unleavened bread for 7 days. Things like that. A Passover Seder (meal) might be enjoyed, though.
Passover is not exactly correlated to the Resurrection, at least it never was until Messiah came and died. Passover celebrates the time the Jews escaped Egypt. The Resurrection is now associated with that event because Messiah was crucified then, becoming our Sacrificial Lamb.
As for Easter, it is named after the pagan goddess Ishtar and her symbols were bunnies and eggs. The date for Easter is set by the Roman Catholic Church. It never, ever falls on the true Resurrection Day. To start with, the Resurrection day would be 3 days after Passover. But Passover is based on a lunar, not solar calendar. Therefore you would never have the celebration falling on the same day of the week each year according to the solar calendar used in our culture.
You have to make a decision for your own self, regardless of what others think, about whether you want to follow traditions of men or the real Bible and the real Resurrection Day.
If others don't feel disapproved of by your choice, they are less likely to be upset if you choose to celebrate the true, Leviticus 23, holy days of the Bible.
As for guidelines on how to celebrate the Ressurection, there are none. But for Passover see Leviticus 23.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,085,787.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
P.S. I just remembered something and apologize for not including that.

I said your family could enjoy a Passover seder/meal. However, the Bible says that an uncircumcised man cannot participate in Passover celebrations. As in all things it is wise to consult the Bible, and then ask for guidance from the Holy Spirit, of course, though.

Upvote 0

Yahunatan

Jun 22, 2018
Durant
✟7,805.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married

I said your family could enjoy a Passover seder/meal. However, the Bible says that an uncircumcised man cannot participate in Passover celebrations. As in all things it is wise to consult the Bible, and then ask for guidance from the Holy Spirit, of course, though.

While this is true that the Torah requires both the circumcision of the flesh and the heart to participate in the Passover among the Hebraic community. I would not trouble one from the nations that is turning to YHWH with circumcision. Circumcision is the last step. I see no problem with one circumcised of heart of which I precieve this person is. Having the desire to turn to YHWH and leave paganism shows a pure heart. In your home you may partake of the Passover with your family in my humble opinion.

Upvote 0

Yahunatan

Jun 22, 2018
Durant
✟7,805.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married

I would also point out that Israel in Egypt observed the Passover in the uncircumcision of their flesh.

Upvote 0

ubicaritas

sinning boldly
Jul 22, 2017
Orlando
✟68,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Unless you are Jewish or affiliated with a Jewish/Messianic group, I believe it is in extremely poor taste to do this, both a disservice to the Jewish and Christian traditions.

The traditional Easter vigil recounts the story of the Passover in Egypt as a foreshadowing of Jesus/ the Church's own passage from death to life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian

This is a misconception. The restriction is specifically for killing and eating the Passover, which is the lamb. Gentiles may participate in a Passover meal as long as they don't eat the lamb.

In fact, no one today can eat the lamb because it is not possible to slaughter it in the Temple as the Bible requires.

Heck, even in Jesus day, Jews who did not live close enough to Jerusalem to bring a lamb could not eat the lamb. Unleavened bread was used as a substitute.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ambassador Hat

Please remember that this is a No Debate forum. All posts should be addressed to the OP. If you wish to debate this or discuss the theology behind it, please do so in one of the other theology forums.

Thank you!

Upvote 0