Dublin
✟102,646.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
There are a couple of sections in the Pauline epistles that read like an early Creed might be being quoted. It's hard to tell, and those very early Creeds have been lost.

Example: 1 Timothy 3:16:
He was manifested in the flesh,
vindicated by the Spirit,
seen by angels,
proclaimed among the nations,
believed on in the world,
taken up in glory.
I'll add it to the list for consideration. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi, I've come across the idea that the earliest Christians (mid first century) had multiple creeds that helped them when the Apostles weren't present and letters weren't in circulation.

I know that Communion would be one of those: "For I pass on to you what I received from the Lord himself...." (1 Corinthians 11).

What I am interested in are the others and why people think they were originally creeds. Can anyone recommend a good book or article on the subject as well?

Thanks in advance.
The creeds show how out of whack things are today. I use them as my starting point for understanding Christianity.

Upvote 0

Silly Uncle Wayne

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
✟102,646.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Are baptismal practices the same thing as a CREED?

These days, I don't think getting groped by a bishop, elder and deacon while you are in the water totally a capella would go over too well.

Moving on, there are phrases in the New Testament that seem to be parts of early creeds.

I'm not sure that baptismal practices would be considered a creed, but what they said it might. I'd love to know which wording was used as, if I remember the NT provides two versions of wording.

Upvote 0

WanderedHome

Jul 26, 2019
Southern US
✟35,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Yes. This is why it was so shocking for John the Baptist (and later Jesus) to tell Jews that they needed to do that again. It was like saying that they weren't really Jews.

Actually, John's Baptism, or also Baptism into Christ, were not contradictory to Jewish faith... nor was anything else about early Christianity. The difference now is Christ, by His own Baptism, sanctified the waters and is need only once, if we are Baptized in His name.
The struggle many Protestants have is understanding what it means for Christ to have fulfilled the OT prophecy. It doesn't mean everything about OT worship is suddenly obsolete as if God needed a plan B because plan A wasn't working. Christ was just clarifying the meaning of baptism (or ritual baths) by saying it is not about taking a bath, like removing dirt from the body, but about a clean conscience before God (1 Peter 3:21). This is one of the reasons why I became Eastern Orthodox- it is the most consistent with Old Testament worship, fulfilled in the light of Christ.

From very early on, the nudity was covered with a white robe.

But baptism of this sort explains why (1) baptism was, from very early on, performed in an isolated place or in a separate room in the church, and (2) in the early days there was a group of female deacons ("deaconesses") that helped out with the baptism of women.

Nudity was not covered. We still Baptize infants nude today, as was the early practice with all who came to Baptism. Today, only the adults (and older children) wear white robes with some kind of shorts/swimsuit underneath, but then everyone dresses in white/white-ish clothes after.
You are right- there were women deacons because of the separation of men and women Baptism services... and they were not full deacons that served in the altar, but just fulfilling a temporary need... which is not needed anymore since older children and adults are clothed.

God bless.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Actually, John's Baptism, or also Baptism into Christ, were not contradictory to Jewish faith... nor was anything else about early Christianity.

My point was that John and Jesus were telling Jews to be baptized again.

Upvote 0

WanderedHome

Jul 26, 2019
Southern US
✟35,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
My point was that John and Jesus were telling Jews to be baptized again.

But my point was a further explanation of @Darkhorse's mention of "mikveh"(sorry, I should have clarified that):

I assume the tradition came from the Jewish baptism or "mikveh", which required total nudity for the person being baptized (not even any jewelry or hair ties). It is still performed that way today.

Jews were already accustomed to being baptized (Grk. "baptizo"=immersed) again and again, in the "mikveh" (ritual baths required for cleansing from various impurities). So, this wouldn't have been a strange thing to do.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure that baptismal practices would be considered a creed, but what they said it might. I'd love to know which wording was used as, if I remember the NT provides two versions of wording.
One of the earliest description of baptism is from the Didache, dating to the late first to second century

7:1 But concerning baptism, thus shall ye baptize.
7:2 Having first recited all these things, baptize {in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit} in living (running) water.
7:3 But if thou hast not living water, then baptize in other water;
7:4 and if thou art not able in cold, then in warm.
7:5 But if thou hast neither, then pour water on the head thrice in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.
7:6 But before the baptism let him that baptizeth and him that is baptized fast, and any others also who are able;
7:7 and thou shalt order him that is baptized to fast a day or two before.

Upvote 0

WanderedHome

Jul 26, 2019
Southern US
✟35,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
One of the earliest description of baptism is from the Didache, dating to the late first to second century

7:2 Having first recited all these things, baptize {in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit} in living (running) water.
7:3 But if thou hast not living water, then baptize in other water;
7:4 and if thou art not able in cold, then in warm.
7:5 But if thou hast neither, then pour water on the head thrice in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.
7:6 But before the baptism let him that baptizeth and him that is baptized fast, and any others also who are able;
7:7 and thou shalt order him that is baptized to fast a day or two before.
And if we recall the current Baptism service- the renounciations of Satan, uniting to Christ, and proclaiming the Nicene Creed by the Catechumen just before going in the water.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Remember, the Didache was written in the 80s to 150s AD, long before any of the official creeds were produced. St. Justin Martyr wrote mid-second century

As many as are persuaded and believe that what we teach and say is true, and undertake to be able to live accordingly, are instructed to pray and to entreat God with fasting, for the remission of their sins that are past, we praying and fasting with them. Then they are brought by us where there is water, and are regenerated in the same manner in which we were ourselves regenerated. For, in the name of God, the Father and Lord of the universe, and of our Saviour Jesus Christ, and of the Holy Spirit, they then receive the washing with water.

So at least here in the 150s, we see some kind of instruction, then what would be confession, prayer and fasting, followed by baptism. For all I know, it may have been a rudimentary statement of "I agree with what I have been taught about God and the Christian life".

Reactions: WanderedHome
Upvote 0

WanderedHome

Jul 26, 2019
Southern US
✟35,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Remember, the Didache was written in the 80s to 150s AD, long before any of the official creeds were produced. St. Justin Martyr wrote mid-second century

As many as are persuaded and believe that what we teach and say is true, and undertake to be able to live accordingly, are instructed to pray and to entreat God with fasting, for the remission of their sins that are past, we praying and fasting with them. Then they are brought by us where there is water, and are regenerated in the same manner in which we were ourselves regenerated. For, in the name of God, the Father and Lord of the universe, and of our Saviour Jesus Christ, and of the Holy Spirit, they then receive the washing with water.

So at least here in the 150s, we see some kind of instruction, then what would be confession, prayer and fasting, followed by baptism. For all I know, it may have been a rudimentary statement of "I agree with what I have been taught about God and the Christian life".

Ah, right. Dumb mistake on my part (edited). Nicene Creed wasn’t written until the Nicene Council in 325. But it does relate to our current practice, which has grown since the basic structure in the early days.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ah, right. Dumb mistake on my part (edited). Nicene Creed wasn’t written until the Nicene Council in 325. But it does relate to our current practice, which has grown since the basic structure in the early days.

LOL, more coffee!

Upvote 0

Tra Phull

Ecumenical Loose Canon
Oct 24, 2019
Waco
✟45,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
381 the Nicene Creed was finalized as we know it today

As far as COFFEE - at what point did coffee between Sunday school and church become part of Christian practice?

I miss the COFFEE as much as fellowship, sure I can make coffee at home, but it's not the same as that Methodist Church, before all this lockdown there were various pastries and tons of coffee before after and in between early service, Sunday school and late service...

Did early Christians have coffee in the catacombs?

Upvote 0

PaulCyp1

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2018
Massachusetts
✟239,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The earliest Christians received Communion regularly, from the moment Jesus fist consecrated the Eucharist at His Last Supper, and then commanded those present, the first priests of His Church, to do the same. And His Church has continue to obey that divine command ever since that night.

Upvote 0

WanderedHome

Jul 26, 2019
Southern US
✟35,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
381 the Nicene Creed was finalized as we know it today

As far as COFFEE - at what point did coffee between Sunday school and church become part of Christian practice?

I miss the COFFEE as much as fellowship, sure I can make coffee at home, but it's not the same as that Methodist Church, before all this lockdown there were various pastries and tons of coffee before after and in between early service, Sunday school and late service...

Did early Christians have coffee in the catacombs?

Coffee is just a stripped-down version of the Agape meal, but many Orthodox parishes still have a full meal to this day- or at least a light lunch/snack... usually, more than you see in a Protestant church. In the earliest days, the Eucharist was combined together with the Agape meal. I believe it was separated in order to prevent abuses and protect people from partaking in an unworthy manner.

Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hi, I've come across the idea that the earliest Christians (mid first century) had multiple creeds that helped them when the Apostles weren't present and letters weren't in circulation.

I know that Communion would be one of those: "For I pass on to you what I received from the Lord himself...." (1 Corinthians 11).

What I am interested in are the others and why people think they were originally creeds. Can anyone recommend a good book or article on the subject as well?

Thanks in advance.
Work info: NPNF2-14. The Seven Ecumenical Councils - Christian Classics Ethereal Library

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums