Dublin
✟102,646.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Hi, I've come across the idea that the earliest Christians (mid first century) had multiple creeds that helped them when the Apostles weren't present and letters weren't in circulation.

I know that Communion would be one of those: "For I pass on to you what I received from the Lord himself...." (1 Corinthians 11).

What I am interested in are the others and why people think they were originally creeds. Can anyone recommend a good book or article on the subject as well?

Thanks in advance.

Of the Kingdom

Nov 26, 2018
Atlanta, Georgia
✟48,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I Cor 15 is often considered to be an early creed, because of the way it's written. There might be a few more in scripture.

I suspect there are statements in other early church writings that could be considered creeds. I doubt if any of them specifically say they are creeds, so one must judge based on how they are written and what the context is.

I doubt if you'll find a "for sure" creed earlier than 180 AD or so, when there should be early versions of what became known as the "apostle's creed". I hope someone more knowledgeable than I can provide more information.

Upvote 0

Tra Phull

Ecumenical Loose Canon
Oct 24, 2019
Waco
✟45,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I hear THE CREEDS OF CHRISTENDOM by Phillip Schaff is a comprehensive look.

Schaff wrote an 8 volume history of the Church that is online, public domain. But watch out, Uncle Wayne, Schaff was a... C... Calvinist, but good historian.

Upvote 0

Silly Uncle Wayne

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
✟102,646.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
I hear THE CREEDS OF CHRISTENDOM by Phillip Schaff is a comprehensive look.

Schaff wrote an 8 volume history of the Church that is online, public domain. But watch out, Uncle Wayne, Schaff was a... C... Calvinist, but good historian.
A bit of a bargain. Only 49p on Kindle from Amazon.co.uk.

Just as well as there is no way I'd pay more than 50p for a book by a Calvinist :)

Upvote 0

Silly Uncle Wayne

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
✟102,646.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Old Roman Symbol may be as early as 100 AD - an early Apostles Creed.
I was thinking more of mid first century. The later creeds I have studied a bit, but I am intrigued by what early Christians might have worked with.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The earliest Creed is probably "Jesus Christ is Lord". Creedal language became more robust with time, and were very likely an outgrowth of baptismal confessions.

Consider this Baptismal Confession from the Apostolic Traditions attributed to St. Hippolytus of Rome,

"When the elder takes hold of each of them who are to receive baptism, he shall tell each of them to renounce, saying, 'I renounce you Satan, all your service, and all your works." After he has said this, he shall anoint each with the Oil of Exorcism, saying, "Let every evil spirit depart from you." Then, after these things, the bishop passes each of them on nude to the elder who stands at the water. They shall stand in the water naked. A deacon, likewise, will go down with them into the water. When each of them to be baptized has gone down into the water, the one baptizing shall lay hands on each of them, asking, "Do you believe in God the Father Almighty?" And the one being baptized shall answer, "I believe." He shall then baptize each of them once, laying his hand upon each of their heads. Then he shall ask, "Do you believe in Jesus Christ, the Son of God, who was born of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary, who was crucified under Pontius Pilate, and died, and rose on the third day living from the dead, and ascended into heaven, and sat down at the right hand of the Father, the one coming to judge the living and the dead?" When each has answered, "I believe," he shall baptize a second time. Then he shall ask, "Do you believe in the Holy Spirit and the Holy Church and the resurrection of the flesh?" Then each being baptized shall answer, "I believe." And thus let him baptize the third time." - The Apostolic Traditions, 21:9-18

Even earlier, in the writings of Irenaeus we find a similar confession,

"The Church, though dispersed throughout the whole world, even to the ends of the earth, has received from the apostles and their disciples this faith: [She believes] in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all things that are in them; and in one Christ Jesus, the Son of God, who became incarnate for our salvation; and in the Holy Spirit, who proclaimed through the prophets the dispensations of God, and the advents, and the birth from a virgin, and the passion, and the resurrection from the dead, and the ascension into heaven in the flesh of the beloved Christ Jesus, our Lord, and His [future] manifestation from heaven in the glory of the Father "to gather all things in one," [Ephesians 1:10] and to raise up anew all flesh of the whole human race, in order that to Christ Jesus, our Lord, and God, and Saviour, and King, according to the will of the invisible Father, "every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth, and that every tongue should confess" [Philippians 2:10-11] to Him, and that He should execute just judgment towards all; that He may send "spiritual wickednesses," [Ephesians 6:12] and the angels who transgressed and became apostates, together with the ungodly, and unrighteous, and wicked, and profane among men, into everlasting fire; but may, in the exercise of His grace, confer immortality on the righteous, and holy, and those who have kept His commandments, and have persevered in His love, some from the beginning [of their Christian course], and others from [the date of] their repentance, and may surround them with everlasting glory." - Against Heresies, Book I, ch. 10:1

The Old Roman Symbol already has been mentioned, but it is representative of this very early creedal tradition.

That we believe in one God the Father, who made all things.
And in one Lord, Jesus Christ, the Son of God.
And in the Holy Spirit.
And in the holy catholic Church.
And in the resurrection of the body.
And in the life everlasting.

This is the Christian faith.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tra Phull

Ecumenical Loose Canon
Oct 24, 2019
Waco
✟45,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Are baptismal practices the same thing as a CREED?

These days, I don't think getting groped by a bishop, elder and deacon while you are in the water totally a capella would go over too well.

Moving on, there are phrases in the New Testament that seem to be parts of early creeds.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Being baptised naked is a radical tradition - I wonder where they got the scriptural support for that???

I assume the tradition came from the Jewish baptism or "mikveh", which required total nudity for the person being baptized (not even any jewelry or hair ties). It is still performed that way today.

Eastern Orthodox and some other denominations sometimes practice nude baptism for infants, and sometimes for adults.

So it really isn't radical, except to modern nude-phobic Christians.

Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi, I've come across the idea that the earliest Christians (mid first century) had multiple creeds that helped them when the Apostles weren't present and letters weren't in circulation.

I know that Communion would be one of those: "For I pass on to you what I received from the Lord himself...." (1 Corinthians 11).

There are a couple of sections in the Pauline epistles that read like an early Creed might be being quoted. It's hard to tell, and those very early Creeds have been lost.

Example: 1 Timothy 3:16:
He was manifested in the flesh,
vindicated by the Spirit,
seen by angels,
proclaimed among the nations,
believed on in the world,
taken up in glory.

• Informative
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I assume the tradition came from the Jewish baptism or "mikveh"

Yes. This is why it was so shocking for John the Baptist (and later Jesus) to tell Jews that they needed to do that again. It was like saying that they weren't really Jews.

which required total nudity for the person being baptized

From very early on, the nudity was covered with a white robe.

But baptism of this sort explains why (1) baptism was, from very early on, performed in an isolated place or in a separate room in the church, and (2) in the early days there was a group of female deacons ("deaconesses") that helped out with the baptism of women.

• Informative
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Silly Uncle Wayne

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
✟102,646.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Not very friendly at all. :(
Lighten up, the smiley face should tell you it is only a joke. I have no objection to any writings of any Christian, only for particular theologies (and even then I often read them to understand why people think that way).

Reactions: ReesePiece23
Upvote 0