Ear piercing/made in God's image/"improving His creation"/?

tuliplane

Oct 19, 2012
✟31,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Okay, so I had this idea ingrained into me by my mother that "Your body is the temple of the Lord", so you shouldn't get your ears pierced. When I grew up, I decided to. After thinking logically about it, I realized:
1) It's not deforming the body (such as disfiguring it, or altering the function of your body in some way).
2) The verse she was referring to was specifically talking about sexual sin.
3) Motives are the most important issue here. If my motive was that I wanted to destroy something God made, then it would be sin for me to do it, but if I wanted to pierce my ears because I thought it looks pretty to wear nice earrings, then my motive isn't sinful; it's enjoying His creation. My intention was not to just stick a hole in my body for the sole reason of putting a hole there, but to allow earrings to be worn.

So, I have logical ideas as to why it can't be sinful; another reason being God commanded circumcision, piercing the ear of a servant, and also talked of giving His bride earrings (though I can't prove they were pierced earrings, it seems likely they were, knowing that ancient people in those times did have pierced ears) which was all "body modification", and if God commanded those things, it wouldn't seem He would think it a sin for small ear piercings.

Though, at times I also start having thoughts like, 'What if it is a sin?', 'We're made in the image of God, which did not include ear piercings, so maybe it's wrong.', 'It's unnatural to have holes in my ears, so maybe I'm not supposed to have them.', 'What if it's disfiguring the creation He made, since what God made is beautiful, and God saw all that He made and it was good?'

I read this on a website: "When God created the human body and soul He declared it good. Why do we need to improve on what God has already made beautiful?"

I also know that God made a lot of us creative and we enjoy beautiful things, such as jewelry, cutting our hair in different styles, dying it different colors, and painting our nails; all things that are not "natural" to the body which God did not put on us. So I started looking at it as another form of creativity/self-expression. There are differing Christian viewpoints though; some say basically the same ideas I stated, others say it is wrong and marking up our bodies, and 'we are not our own, and bought with a price', so we don't have full freedom to do what we want to it. I think that verse is talking about the actions we do with our body though? With the message something like this: 'Christ died for your sins; He purchased you, so now you want to use that body to glorify Him. Don't have immoral sex because it's using the body you're given to engage in sin.' I also glean from the verse that we aren't to use our body in other ways besides immoral sex, such as don't use your hands to punch someone and don't use your tongue to speak evil of someone, but make sure that you use your body for good. It seems that to think God meant don't pierce your ears, is superficial and God is concerned more with our actions and motives than a fashion statement?

Anyway, let me know your thoughts on this. I really want to know if it is wrong or not; sometimes I feel absolutely confident that it doesn't matter to God, and other times I start thinking it's a sin and feel guilty. Don't know if it's false guilt/legalism or conviction, if it is my mother speaking or God speaking.

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It be a matter between you an the Lord, if you want to know if it OK for you
to pierce your ears, you sincerely pray about this matter and ask your heavenly
Father about how you are to fix up yourself as his child. That be what I say to many
people who have asked about getting they ears pierced.

Now for me, it not be something that is for me...I got earrings and those converters
so I can wear the latest styles (since the majority of earrings be for pierced ears).
When I can buy clip on earrings I get as many as I can because who know how long it be before
I can find them again lol.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Okay, so I had this idea ingrained into me by my mother that "Your body is the temple of the Lord", so you shouldn't get your ears pierced. When I grew up, I decided to. After thinking logically about it, I realized:
1) It's not deforming the body (such as disfiguring it, or altering the function of your body in some way).
2) The verse she was referring to was specifically talking about sexual sin.
3) Motives are the most important issue here. If my motive was that I wanted to destroy something God made, then it would be sin for me to do it, but if I wanted to pierce my ears because I thought it looks pretty to wear nice earrings, then my motive isn't sinful; it's enjoying His creation. My intention was not to just stick a hole in my body for the sole reason of putting a hole there, but to allow earrings to be worn.

So, I have logical ideas as to why it can't be sinful; another reason being God commanded circumcision, piercing the ear of a servant, and also talked of giving His bride earrings (though I can't prove they were pierced earrings, it seems likely they were, knowing that ancient people in those times did have pierced ears) which was all "body modification", and if God commanded those things, it wouldn't seem He would think it a sin for small ear piercings.

Though, at times I also start having thoughts like, 'What if it is a sin?', 'We're made in the image of God, which did not include ear piercings, so maybe it's wrong.', 'It's unnatural to have holes in my ears, so maybe I'm not supposed to have them.', 'What if it's disfiguring the creation He made, since what God made is beautiful, and God saw all that He made and it was good?'

I read this on a website: "When God created the human body and soul He declared it good. Why do we need to improve on what God has already made beautiful?"

I also know that God made a lot of us creative and we enjoy beautiful things, such as jewelry, cutting our hair in different styles, dying it different colors, and painting our nails; all things that are not "natural" to the body which God did not put on us. So I started looking at it as another form of creativity/self-expression. There are differing Christian viewpoints though; some say basically the same ideas I stated, others say it is wrong and marking up our bodies, and 'we are not our own, and bought with a price', so we don't have full freedom to do what we want to it. I think that verse is talking about the actions we do with our body though? With the message something like this: 'Christ died for your sins; He purchased you, so now you want to use that body to glorify Him. Don't have immoral sex because it's using the body you're given to engage in sin.' I also glean from the verse that we aren't to use our body in other ways besides immoral sex, such as don't use your hands to punch someone and don't use your tongue to speak evil of someone, but make sure that you use your body for good. It seems that to think God meant don't pierce your ears, is superficial and God is concerned more with our actions and motives than a fashion statement?

Anyway, let me know your thoughts on this. I really want to know if it is wrong or not; sometimes I feel absolutely confident that it doesn't matter to God, and other times I start thinking it's a sin and feel guilty. Don't know if it's false guilt/legalism or conviction, if it is my mother speaking or God speaking.
Ezekiel 16.12 records that at least symbolically the Lord Himself gave earrings (and even a nose ring) to Zion; what He bestowed on her was imputed and symbolizes the Lord's blessing and righteousness reckoned to the undeserving, believing sinner's account.

In Psalm 40.6 were read, Messianically, the words 'mine ears hast thou opened' (opened, Hebrew=digged, i.e., pierced), referring to the Old Testament bondservant who chose to use to his liberty in perpetual, willing service to his master.

These things are symbolic, but they are precious truths, and ear piercing is part of the symbolism.

Doing it literally is not necessary to appreciate the blessing; but a lot of Christians would say it's hard to claim ear piercing is unscriptural.

Upvote 0

shelley1952

May 14, 2016
Illinois
✟8,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
what the Lord is trying to say about the earrings and flashy jewelry what it boils down to is vanity, pure vanity. Also I know as everyone does, people are going to do what they want anyway, a lot of times people are just wanting to find that one person to agree with them even if God had hung a sign on their front door saying thou shalt not but if that someone still wants to do it then finding that one person to agree then they will do it anyway. God gave us a free will to find out who loves Him enough to want to please Him and not man and since the roads in heaven are paved with gold then jewelry isnt going to be what pleases Him but I wonder sometimes how God feels when He sees His children do everything they can to get out of pleasing Him.

Upvote 0

shelley1952

May 14, 2016
Illinois
✟8,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So are you advocating that we don't take care of our bodies?
Can you read John ?? where did I say ANYTHING about not taking care of your body ?? What does piercing the body have anything to do with taking care of your body ?? Use your common sense. You were just trying to figure out a way to attack what I said. Taking care of your body has nothing to do with vanity, thats common sense.

Upvote 0

John Davidson

Apr 6, 2016
United States
✟20,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Can you read John ?? where did I say ANYTHING about not taking care of your body ?? What does piercing the body have anything to do with taking care of your body ?? Use your common sense. You were just trying to figure out a way to attack what I said. Taking care of your body has nothing to do with vanity, thats common sense.

Are you opposed to wearing nice clothes?

Do you have any scripture to support the prohibition of earrings?

Upvote 0

shelley1952

May 14, 2016
Illinois
✟8,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Are you opposed to wearing nice clothes?

Do you have any scripture to support the prohibition of earrings?

Your name should of been Peter instead of John. I refuse to participate in your game of trying to start an argument John, do you have earrings or something ?? If so thats part of your freewill isnt it, as I said..

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
My thoughts are...are you doing for yourself or is it to glorify God, you need to speak to Him about it.

I myself don't wear earrings. I used to have them pierced but only cos my friend suggested it, they were more trouble that they worth. they bled and got infected.

God has never said anything to me about getting my ears pierced so its not necessary. I know he told the Israelites the men needed to be circumcised but He never said anything about ears being pierced.
Jesus was pierced in his hands and feet and I think well, He got pierced for me so I don't have to. I bet it was painful.

Paul wrote to his church that women didn't need to adorn themselves in pearls and costly array, for people to know we are christians its our good works that shine through.

If its troubling you, well, ask yourself why you got it done in the first place. If you just wanted to wear earrings, well, why exactly? is it to fit in with the world? We aren't to be conformed to the world. The world can sell you all sorts of things. Or maybe its a sign that someone can own you..if so, who?
More important is that we have ears to hear Him than what we put on our ears.

If your mum keeps bugging you about it, well, thats her problem. God knows our inner motives so you just got to be honest with Him. If you like showing off, well, it will be obvious to people anyway. You can always just not wear jewellery, there's no law that says you HAVE to. I know when thieves and robbers go to a house, the FIRST thing they look for is the jewellery box. Its cos they can sell it easily and get the money,(if it's gold) cos its small and people won't notice if its stolen. Plus its pretty useless.

Reactions: shelley1952
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Erinny

Blessed Big Sister
Jul 6, 2016
Western NC
✟17,137.00
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Our pastor, Rev. R, says it's okay to have one in each ear. He also says makeup is ok as long as it is real close to our natural coloring. Jewelry is ok as long as it's small.

Tattoos are verboten unless you were away in the military and didn't get the email.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Our pastor, Rev. R, says it's okay to have one in each ear. He also says makeup is ok as long as it is real close to our natural coloring. Jewelry is ok as long as it's small.

Tattoos are verboten unless you were away in the military and didn't get the email.
Well, presumably most Christians - and non-Christians - would simply acknowledge that it's rather widespread and benign. What I would add is that it's probably more of a matter of personal preference rather than a matter for clergy dictates in such a subjective area.

Since the late 70s, in fact, for so many young women - and their moms also - 2 in each lobe has been more or less the default standard:

etsy dot com

However, when young men do it, it's often 1 each side:

aliexpress dot com

Reactions: Erinny
Upvote 0

Erinny

Blessed Big Sister
Jul 6, 2016
Western NC
✟17,137.00
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Good morning, our friend @faroukfarouk !

Modesty and standards of dress, etc., were always a part of our Fundamentalist Community. Our current pastor and the current Council of Elders can actually put changes into place IF the community votes for these changes.

There are approximately 3500 people in our Community. The outcome of voting on something depends on the 85% majority. Anything at or over 85% passes.

So far, Mom and the older members say Rev. R has ushered us into the 21st century by allowing jewelry and makeup and many other things like satellite TV, Internet, and relaxing the patriarchal family structure. He is urging women to stand up and step up to Council positions, Community VIPs (must be a good shot), and other positions normally filled by men. We do have a female Council member now for the first time, an African-American lady who led the charge on Emmy's Curve and construction has been underway.

So being able to have jewelry and makeup at all is a big treat for us. And the only time we actually look like floozies is during our Renaissance Faire, our version of Mardi Gras (don't ask), and the ladies' "Give Rev. R A Fit Day."

But Emmy and I love to see pics of pretty things! We don't covet, though, and we're happy. Today I have little silver hoops in my ears instead of studs.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Good morning, our friend @faroukfarouk !

Modesty and standards of dress, etc., were always a part of our Fundamentalist Community. Our current pastor and the current Council of Elders can actually put changes into place IF the community votes for these changes.

There are approximately 3500 people in our Community. The outcome of voting on something depends on the 85% majority. Anything at or over 85% passes.

So far, Mom and the older members say Rev. R has ushered us into the 21st century by allowing jewelry and makeup and many other things like satellite TV, Internet, and relaxing the patriarchal family structure. He is urging women to stand up and step up to Council positions, Community VIPs (must be a good shot), and other positions normally filled by men. We do have a female Council member now for the first time, an African-American lady who led the charge on Emmy's Curve and construction has been underway.

So being able to have jewelry and makeup at all is a big treat for us. And the only time we actually look like floozies is during our Renaissance Faire, our version of Mardi Gras (don't ask), and the ladies' "Give Rev. R A Fit Day."

But Emmy and I love to see pics of pretty things! We don't covet, though, and we're happy. Today I have little silver hoops in my ears instead of studs.
Ezekiel 16.12: " And I put a jewel on thy forehead, and earrings in thine ears..." :)

Upvote 0

Erinny

Blessed Big Sister
Jul 6, 2016
Western NC
✟17,137.00
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Ezekiel 16.12: " And I put a jewel on thy forehead, and earrings in thine ears..." :)

Emmy said when she got her ears pierced: "Ears are funny things that beg to be decorated."

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"Oh, is that a gun? Want to see my Smith & Wesson .38?"

Emmy actually said that to the lady who was getting ready to pierce her ears.
LOL :)

My suggested caption for this cartoon:

"Next step, I need to ask to see her National Rifle Association membership renewal."

mindly dot org

Reactions: Starcrystal
Upvote 0