Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Luke 9:23 Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me.

Any other topic or argument seems a waste of time compared to this statement of The Lord. It requires us to be transformed. It demands that we look at each moment of our lives and evaluate our responses. It is so easy to argue. it is so easy to read, to study, even to pray. But to do things we do not want to do for the sake of love, to change our behaviors and attitudes for the sake of following Christ is something very different.

Of course the place we start is with out families. They seem to have the prime position to make demands of us and to push our buttons. What a gift family life can be. I know I might put a good show on for the world but there is no fooling my spouse.

Dying to self, transcendence of the ego, our small share in the pascal mystery.

Apr 19, 2020
Virginia
✟95,788.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm reminded of Romans 12:1-2 reading your post.

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

Also James 1:27 concerning pure religion:

Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.

None of this comes natural to a natural person, or a spiritual person because an action is required and is on going. There is a need to continually submit self will to God and without the Holy Spirit failure is assured. (Jesus' sacrifice is needed here).

2Cor. 10:5

... casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ, ...

Churches only go a certain distance and will never progress past the basics.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟629,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey :) this brings to mind a song by Allies (Old) called Surrender which says

If you think, what you'll gain
You will see that you've got nothin' to lose
If you count, all the cost
It will never match what He'll do for you
When you give all your life
That's when He will give your life back to you
If it means, peace of mind
Then surrender is the best thing to do

Dying to self for me means also to surrender

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟278,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
None of this comes natural to a natural person, or a spiritual person because an action is required and is on going.
None of this comes natural, indeed. Maybe this is the best place to then talk about "supernatural". It is not so much miracles and amazing happenings as it is rising above ourselves with the grace of God. Or I should say, surrendering self and then being surprised with joy at what happens next.

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2020
Virginia
✟95,788.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A good example is the O.T. prophets who considered themselves lacking in ability when God set them up as His representatives.
Jonah fled, Jeremiah claimed to be to young and Moses insisted that he was slow of speech.

Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟50,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Upvote 0

IoanC

Oct 9, 2022
Ploiesti, Prahova
Visit site
✟29,183.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Dying to self is one element. Taking up our cross another element. Following God, yet, another element.

Our old/sinful self is not acceptable to God. The Cross means suffering, and suffering purifies of sin. Following God is our new will/self because God is perfect and holy.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
None of this comes natural, indeed. Maybe this is the best place to then talk about "supernatural". It is not so much miracles and amazing happenings as it is rising above ourselves with the grace of God. Or I should say, surrendering self and then being surprised with joy at what happens next.

I relate to St. Therese's "Little Way". And maybe it's just the Lutheran background, but I don't think Christianity needs to be so grandiose. Just find small ways to bring more peace and love into your life, and share that with other people. For me, that's spending time meditating or going for walks in nature, learning to get in touch with that inner spiritual intuition and wisdom that is nonetheless the same wisdom in all things. A kind of spiritual quietism and minimalism.

If we take "dying to self" seriously, it will mean stepping into unknowing, what Ekchart meant when he wrote "I pray to God to rid me of God". Being rid of God as an object in the world, the projection of the self, and stepping into what Paul Tillich called "transtheism".

Lost Witness
Lost Witness
All the New Age Stuff in the Churches aren't Of GOD at all,
they are of 'ha-satan'
if it's not from The Holy Scriptures it shouldn't be trusted (Bible)
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟278,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For me, that's spending time meditating or going for walks in nature, learning to get in touch with that inner spiritual intuition and wisdom that is nonetheless the same wisdom in all things. A kind of spiritual quietism and minimalism.
I think you stumbled on to a paradoxical truth:
In order to truly die to self, we must also truly care for self?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I think you stumbled on to a paradoxical truth:
In order to truly die to self, we must also truly care for self?

Like all metaphors, it can be stretched too far, to imply contempt, rejection, or self-harm. What we are really talking about is self-transcendence, at least, I hope so.

I don't even think "dying to self" is all that biblical. St. Paul says "for you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God" (Col 3:3). Which implies not something we have to do ("kill" ourselves), but a provocation that reframes our life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟278,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Like all metaphors, it can be stretched too far, to imply contempt, rejection, or self-harm. What we are really talking about is self-transcendence, at least, I hope so.

I don't even think "dying to self" is all that biblical. St. Paul says "for you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God" (Col 3:3). Which implies not something we have to do ("kill" ourselves), but a provocation that reframes our life.

Yes, self transcendence, or ego transcendence that reorients our lives so that our own ego is not the highest priority. That is why the family is such a sacred place. It gives us countless opportunities to transcend our selfishness for the love of other.

Texts that come to my mind:​

Luke 9:23

And he said to all, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.

John 12:24

Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟278,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Gal.2:20 Big verse here I am crucified with Christ so he can live through me. Living by his faith and not my flesh ideas. I love this thread. :clap::twohearts::musicnotes:
And yet we still get in the way. The spirit is willing...

Upvote 0

Dah'veed

Jan 23, 2023
Zion
✟26,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I'm reminded of Romans 12:1-2 reading your post.

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
In conclusion, brothers and sisters focus your thoughts on what is true, noble, righteous, pure, praiseworthy...Phil 4:8

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums