Dwayne Ferguson gets probation

Panzerkamfwagen

Es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin.
May 19, 2015
✟19,002.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
A judge says if Dwayne Ferguson completes 100 hours of community service and stays out of trouble, he will not face more serious charges possessing a firearm on schools grounds.

It gets even funnier, though, because:

News 4 interviewed Ferguson in March of 2013 at a rally in support of the NY SAFE Act. At the time, Ferguson stated the law did not go far enough.

So...he like pretty much anyone who is anti-gun is a hypocrite.

Of course he was charged with two felonies. Too bad he was not convicted of those, because then we wouldn't have to worry about his causing a scare like that again.

stamperben

It's an old family tradition
Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Can you cite an example of an anti-gun person who won't call men with guns to come to his aid when he is in distress?
Your "anti-gun" argument is rather convoluted I think. Pro gun control is NOT anti gun. Educate yourself here at what I will title “More extreme than Yemen” but was published by the title "12 rational responses to irrational gun arguments."

Upvote 0

Panzerkamfwagen

May 19, 2015
✟19,002.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Your "anti-gun" argument is rather convoluted I think. Pro gun control is NOT anti gun. Educate yourself here at what I will title “More extreme than Yemen” but was published by the title "12 rational responses to irrational gun arguments."

"Pro gun-control" isn't anti gun, except in the case where guns are too cheap, too small, hold too many bullets, are too large, scary looking, or have a shoulder thing that goes up.

If gun control advocates wanted to ban guns that are used in crimes, they wouldn't start with scary looking guns, used in a relatively small percentage of shootings, they would start with Ruger 9mm pistols and Smith and Wesson .38 revolvers.

The short answer about that article is it's a waste of time to read it. Basically, it's meaningless propaganda. For the long answer, keep reading my responses.

In regards to point #1 of that article, every single school shooting that has taken place for the past couple of decades has taken place in a gun free zone.

In regards to #2, that depends on the gun control law. If, for instance, the government passes a law that forbids law abiding people from the manufacture of certain firearms [say machine guns] prevents law abiding people from possessing machine guns. Salon's point here is lost on me, because if you have laws forbidding the possession of certain firearms, only people who don't follow the law will have those firearms.

In regards to #3, value is relative. It sounds cold, but, quite frankly, someone's personal tragedy a continent away really is not important to me, until some politician uses it to restrict my rights.

In regards to #4, you could make the argument that based on the definition of the militia found in the United States Code, that interpretation of the Second Amendment is ageist and sexist. There's also the issue of the 9th amendment. And of course the phrase, "right of the people," when used in the 1st and 4th Amendments, does that cover some type of collective right?

In regards to #5. Adam Lanza committed his shootings in a gun free zone. So did the Columbine killers. And anyone who invokes Gabby Giffords in a gun control argument is automatically not worth listening to. And crazy New York hammer dude is a convicted felon, so he's not supposed to have firearms. Seems like that gun control measure works. Lets make it more illegal for him to have guns.

This also is an argument for the death penalty in murder cases. It seems more like a failing of the criminal justice system, rather than a gun control law. That guy should never have been allowed to see the light of day.

#6 is a convicted felon, so it's illegal for him to get guns.

#7 is not correct. There actually are private tank owners in the United States. From what I understand of ATF regulations, though, if they wanted to obtain ammunition, they would have to treat each round as its own destructive device. Even the fact that tanks are hard to get does not prevent tank rampage.

#8. What's the point of that, other than to generate hysteria by claiming that the US is more extreme than Yemen?

#9 So, because they don't care about your rights is an argument to restrict their rights?

#10 The implement used to commit a murder is irrelevant. Compare the actual murder rates of, say, the United States and England...except it really isn't viable because the US and the UK count the murder rate in two different ways. So, once again this is useless anti-gun propaganda disguised as a rational response.

#11 Knob Creek seems to do ok, so, it apparently is fun to shoot a machine gun. More to the point, unless someone is being hurt by a machine gun, who cares? Once again, this is useless anti gun propaganda. In this instance, the journalist comes off as a dour and bitter person who wants to deny others their fun out of sheer petulance.

#12 looks like just another appeal to emotion. Oh, and anthropomorphizing inanimate objects. A firearm is a hunk of metal and wood or polymer. It doesn't cause anything. People cause human misery. For some actual statistics the vast majority of murders have a prior criminal record.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Can you cite an example of an anti-gun person who won't call men with guns to come to his aid when he is in distress?

Uh, you mean you find someone who thinks guns should be limited to the police is a hypocrite when he calls the police?

Sorry that fails.

Upvote 0

Panzerkamfwagen

May 19, 2015
✟19,002.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Uh, you mean you find someone who thinks guns should be limited to the police is a hypocrite when he calls the police?

Sorry that fails.

Why?

He's not willing to use a firearm to defend himself, but he's willing to call someone else to use a firearm to protect him on his behalf.

Upvote 0

Proud Parrot

Sep 18, 2014
✟835.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Oh look - broad brushing.
Not just that, it's misrepresentation of the content of his own thread's article.

Dwayne Ferguson isn't anti-gun.

He's anti-violence. While anti-gun people may equate the two that's not the case.
What I don't get is how this man was licensed to carry and was still punished for carrying the weapon he was licensed to carry.

In any case I'm glad the judge used common sense.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Proud Parrot

Sep 18, 2014
✟835.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why?

He's not willing to use a firearm to defend himself, but he's willing to call someone else to use a firearm to protect him on his behalf.
It is the height of hypocrisy and irrationality. But then again it is the Rosie O'Donnell syndrome that is in play there.

Rosie O'Donnell was ridiculously anti-gun when she had her TV show on air. Ridiculously so and claiming no one should own a firearm.

Then her bodyguard was found to have applied for a concealed weapon permit and her hypocrisy was blown out of the water. Turns out the Rosie O'Donnell syndrome is that what espouses anti-gun policy for the 99% of Americans. While the upper crust, which she's part of being rich, are exempt.

That's the case with anti-gunners generally in the case where they think no one should own a gun. Save for that minority percentage lawfully entrusted to own a gun because they can save the anti-gunners tail when they're in trouble.
Because those gun owners are wearing badges and are perfectly trustworthy at the trigger! Perfectly!

Upvote 0