JesseBassett

Follower of the way, the truth, and the life....
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA
Visit site
✟423,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hello fellow techies,
I am wondering if any of you dual boot windows with another OS or MacOS with another OS? And I am curious as to how well your experiences with dual-booting have been? I presently dual-boot windows 11 and Ubuntu Mate 20.04. It seems to be working fine so far.

Reactions: Pop D.

JesseBassett

Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Visit site
✟423,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Freth,
Depending on which version of mac mini you have you could potentially put Windows 10 on it.

Upvote 0

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟381,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Freth,
Depending on which version of mac mini you have you could potentially put Windows 10 on it.

I know. I could also install Linux on it. I'd rather keep it intact for now, considering I have hundreds of dollars worth of software on it. I know I can redownload it, but for now it's a time capsule that I may dig out later to use the software.

Upvote 0

JesseBassett

Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Visit site
✟423,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I remember advice for dual booting Window and Linux, was to load Windows first. Linux's boot manager was smart enough how to deal with an existing OS, but Windows had problems. I don't know if that still holds true.

@jacks ,
It depends on the hardware of your device and if you install both windows and linux on uefi or not. If not, windows boots first. At least that has been the case for me.

Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟675,211.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
@jacks ,
It depends on the hardware of your device and if you install both windows and linux on uefi or not. If not, windows boots first. At least that has been the case for me.
Yes, I believe you are correct. What I meant though was that when initially loading the operating systems on to the computer, to put Windows on first. Then after Windows is up and running, load the Linux OS. Once they are both on, one can choose which is the default boot OS. Now this was over 15 years ago, it may be that the order one puts the OS on initially may no longer matter.

Upvote 0

elytron

Oct 5, 2008
California
✟290,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I used to dual boot my older Windows 98 system with what was then Suse Linux. These days I exclusively use Linux (Fedora Workstation) on my desktop and laptop computers.

Have setup a couple dual boots in the far past. At the time Windows XP with Ubuntu. I no longer dual boot.

I am curious about Fedora Linux. Why do you prefer to use it? What do you like about Fedora?

Believe I read some place that Linus Torvalds also uses it, the creator of Linux.

I want to try Fedora on my spare laptop.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

adrianmonk

Recursive Algorithm
Jan 14, 2008
Seattle, WA
✟218,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Its fairly easy to get Windows and Linux or BSD dualbooting on a single drive. If you want to triple boot with MacOS (assuming you have a mac), bootcamp will get you going in setting up Windows, but having a 3rd OS with bootcamp makes it painful. If you have an older Mac Pro with multiple disks, you can setup one OS per disk and that is much easier to do.

Reactions: elytron
Upvote 0

adrianmonk

Recursive Algorithm
Jan 14, 2008
Seattle, WA
✟218,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Have setup a couple dual boots in the far past. At the time Windows XP with Ubuntu. I no longer dual boot.

I am curious about Fedora Linux. Why do you prefer to use it? What do you like about Fedora?

Believe I read some place that Linus Torvalds also uses it, the creator of Linux.

Fedora is where the initial research on systems get deployed prior to RHEL. They had systemd first, Wayland by default first, dnf package manager etc. Unlike RHEL, they are on a 6 month release cycle with no LTS. If you like something which is a bit more bleeding edge, then Fedora works great.

Reactions: Anthony2019
Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟777,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single

Hi - sorry for the delay in reply!
I've tried a number of distros over the years and kept coming to Fedora, the main reason is that I have rarely had any problems with it.
It provides the right balance between new features and stability. I like to keep up "on the edge" with what's going on in the Linux world, but I don't want a rolling release system that risks breaking when updated. My experience with Fedora over recent years has been pretty flawless.
If you're using a laptop, then I highly recommend their flagship "workstation" edition.

Upvote 0

elytron

Oct 5, 2008
California
✟290,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi - sorry for the delay in reply!
I've tried a number of distros over the years and kept coming to Fedora, the main reason is that I have rarely had any problems with it.
It provides the right balance between new features and stability. I like to keep up "on the edge" with what's going on in the Linux world, but I don't want a rolling release system that risks breaking when updated. My experience with Fedora over recent years has been pretty flawless.
If you're using a laptop, then I highly recommend their flagship "workstation" edition.

I have Fedora 35 workstation installed. Stock GNOME on my System76 laptop. :cool:

Experienced first issue, computer wouldn't shutdown properly. So I install some extra system76 software packages to get it working good.

Fedora is where the initial research on systems get deployed prior to RHEL. They had systemd first, Wayland by default first, dnf package manager etc. Unlike RHEL, they are on a 6 month release cycle with no LTS. If you like something which is a bit more bleeding edge, then Fedora works great.

I do like to use the latest new software available. My main computer runs an Arch Linux based OS.

Hello fellow techies,
I am wondering if any of you dual boot windows with another OS or MacOS with another OS? And I am curious as to how well your experiences with dual-booting have been? I presently dual-boot windows 11 and Ubuntu Mate 20.04. It seems to be working fine so far.

My first dual boot experiment didn't go well and I had to reinstall. People over on Ubuntu Forums were helpful.

Upvote 0

adrianmonk

Recursive Algorithm
Jan 14, 2008
Seattle, WA
✟218,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I do like to use the latest new software available. My main computer runs an Arch Linux based OS.

I run Arch as my home lab server. I have kvm + qemu for virtualizing other systems.

When you say based, do you run Manjaro ? Or another Arch build ?

My first dual boot experiment didn't go well and I had to reinstall. People over on Ubuntu Forums were helpful.

After my very first Linux install on a 486 back in the day, I always made sure to set up one OS per drive. There was always a chance one of the installs would break the other, but having 2 disks makes it less likely. Now with UEFI this should not be an issue with 2 drives.

Upvote 0