✟3,323.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
FaithfulInHim said:
whatever - you are being too defensive and it's pointless to carry this conversation on further with you. No need to be rude - this IS a christian forums board. May God bless you and I'll say a prayer for you this evening. :)

You are right. I have been rude and short-tempered, and it is not helping the discussion.

I honestly hope that you understand that I shared my opinion on this thread without any intention of condemning. Furthermore, in no way do I feel that 'occasionally sleeping in' is comparable to sinful laziness.

In all honestly, I reacted to an accusatory hostility I did infer from your original post to me. I felt that your response to my commentary was uncalled-for because you specifically misrepresented my terminology (excessive sleep does not equate occasionally sleeping in, and also, I usually prefer to keep debate like this on a conceptual level, and avoid letting it become personal). However, it is wrong of me to perpetuate any hostility I may have sensed.

I am sorry if I had misunderstood you. I do not consider myself someone with whom conversation is difficult, and I should have been less reactive.

Upvote 0

sculpturegirl

Aug 26, 2004
Maryland
Visit site
✟1,045.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Most of the folks I know who smoke a lot of weed are a little wacky in the head. Believe me, I know a lot of folks who smoke weed! (I am an artist and belong to a food co-op). I just don't think that it honors the body. It chemically alters the mind. I don't think it is healthy or necessary. It is against the law and certainly doesn't make for a very good Christian witness. Will it send you to hell? No, I don't think so, but it does affect one's relationship to God.

Extacy (sp?) is very very dangerous. People have died from it!!

I said A glass of wine, as in one.

Upvote 0

Anovah

Jun 6, 2004
Oregon
✟14,597.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
sculpturegirl said:
Most of the folks I know who smoke a lot of weed are a little wacky in the head. Believe me, I know a lot of folks who smoke weed! (I am an artist and belong to a food co-op). I just don't think that it honors the body. It chemically alters the mind. I don't think it is healthy or necessary.
I hope this isn't insulting, but don't you find this to be a little hypocritical? I can say far far worse things than wacky in the head about certain people I know whom drink a lot of wine. Doesn't wine chemically alter the mind? Is it necessary and/or healthy?

sculpturegirl said:
It is against the law and certainly doesn't make for a very good Christian witness. Will it send you to hell? No, I don't think so, but it does affect one's relationship to God.
I'm curious what your thoughts are concerning prohibition in the late 30's. Would one have been a good Christian witness the day before they enacted prohibitions but not after?

If Marijuana were legal would that change your opinion?

sculpturegirl said:
Extacy (sp?) is very very dangerous. People have died from it!!
Do you have aspirin in your medicine cabinet? I might suggest reading this...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3856289.stm
I think perhaps that slogans such as "just say no to drugs" become propaganda that hurt what could otherwise be a good message. Hard "drugs" like coke and heroin (which are true public health issues and should be treated as such) are lumped into the same category as relatively harmless drugs such as Marijuana, psilocybin, ect. Some consider the legal drugs such as alcohol, caffeine, or nicotine, but I find that time and time again, the thing people really overlook, are the pharmaceuticals because they are legal and sanctioned.

If you are really concerned with people dying from drugs...plead this to a pharmaceutical company.

sculpturegirl said:
I said A glass of wine, as in one.
What about those that want to smoke A bowl, as in one.

Upvote 0

FaithfulInHim

Sep 23, 2004
✟7,698.00
Faith
Non-Denom
arizona_sunshine said:
You are right. I have been rude and short-tempered, and it is not helping the discussion.

I honestly hope that you understand that I shared my opinion on this thread without any intention of condemning. Furthermore, in no way do I feel that 'occasionally sleeping in' is comparable to sinful laziness.

In all honestly, I reacted to an accusatory hostility I did infer from your original post to me. I felt that your response to my commentary was uncalled-for because you specifically misrepresented my terminology (excessive sleep does not equate occasionally sleeping in, and also, I usually prefer to keep debate like this on a conceptual level, and avoid letting it become personal). However, it is wrong of me to perpetuate any hostility I may have sensed.

I am sorry if I had misunderstood you. I do not consider myself someone with whom conversation is difficult, and I should have been less reactive.
I went back and read what I wrote and see how that could have been taken wrong. The are you serious part didn't need to be written. I think now I understand what you're trying to say. I'm sorry that I misunderstood you as well. :)

Upvote 0

sculpturegirl

Aug 26, 2004
Maryland
Visit site
✟1,045.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Anovah said:
I hope this isn't insulting, but don't you find this to be a little hypocritical? I can say far far worse things than wacky in the head about certain people I know whom drink a lot of wine. Doesn't wine chemically alter the mind? Is it necessary and/or healthy?
Yes, too much wine can hurt people, but wine is moderation is good for the heart. We use it for Communion.

Anovah said:
I'm curious what your thoughts are concerning prohibition in the late 30's. Would one have been a good Christian witness the day before they enacted prohibitions but not after?
While I do not have a problem with drinking wine, I think that as a Christian we ought to live according to the laws of the land, unless they are in direct opposition to God's laws.

Anovah said:
If Marijuana were legal would that change your opinion?
I DO think that marijuana ought to be legal. And like I said, I don't think it will land anyone in hell, neither do I think it is edifying. "Everything is permissible"-but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible"- but not everything is constructive." 1st corinthinans 10:23

Anovah said:
Do you have aspirin in your medicine cabinet? ...
If you are really concerned with people dying from drugs...plead this to a pharmaceutical company.
You don't know me very well, do you. he he. No, I do not have aspirin in my medicine cabinet. I will take pharma drugs only when all other options have been exausted.

Anovah said:
What about those that want to smoke A bowl, as in one
Like I said, it won't land you in hell, but it is not spiritually edifying. And be careful. I have a friend who landed in jail for 2 years for selling catnip to a policeman. The cop thought it was weed. Better to have a cup of hot tea than go to jail.

Upvote 0
J

JustJack!

sculpturegirl said:
I have a friend who landed in jail for 2 years for selling catnip to a policeman. The cop thought it was weed. Better to have a cup of hot tea than go to jail.
Well that was just stupid. But it is true, thousands of lives are ruined every year because of an asinine law that hurts more ppl than weed itself does.

And why do you think that weed hurts the relationship with God?

Upvote 0

Anovah

Jun 6, 2004
Oregon
✟14,597.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Hello sculturegirl,

Thank you for responding and for your kindness

sculpturegirl said:
Yes, too much wine can hurt people, but wine is moderation is good for the heart. We use it for Communion.
Yes I think moderation is an excellent point. But I'm not sure you realize the other points can be made for illegal drugs as well. Marijuana (when not smoked) can raise your immune system. Cocaine is used as an ingredient in anaesthetic. Morphine is an alkaloid of opium. So perhaps you can see why I found this hypocritical (I hope I'm not being too blunt).

So unfortunately, I don't think your original point of drugs not honoring your body or being unhealthy or unnecessary is a good one when the same points can be made for wine (which can have horrible effects on your liver and brain), which you support in moderation and for spiritual purposes.

sculpturegirl said:
While I do not have a problem with drinking wine, I think that as a Christian we ought to live according to the laws of the land, unless they are in direct opposition to God's laws.

I DO think that marijuana ought to be legal. And like I said, I don't think it will land anyone in hell, neither do I think it is edifying. "Everything is permissible"-but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible"- but not everything is constructive." 1st corinthinans 10:23
Would you consider the persecution of innocents to be in direct opposition to gods laws?

My only problem is that I don't understand how a law is moral just by virtue of being a law.

sculpturegirl said:
You don't know me very well, do you. he he . No, I do not have aspirin in my medicine cabinet. I will take pharma drugs only when all other options have been exausted.
Hehe, you're right, I don't know you very well and I'm glad to hear that you don't go to pharm's first. But you see the point yes? To say that people die from Ecstasy is no more true than it is for aspirin. As for it being dangerous, I would agree it has that potential, but when "just say no" type propaganda distorts what those potential dangers are, the advertising ironically becomes more damaging in of itself by promoting ignorance.

sculpturegirl said:
Like I said, it won't land you in hell, but it is not spiritually edifying. And be careful. I have a friend who landed in jail for 2 years for selling catnip to a policeman. The cop thought it was weed. Better to have a cup of hot tea than go to jail.
I still do not understand why wine is spiritually edifying yet other substances are not. What qualities make the cut versus ones that don't? What are your thoughts on things like salvia divinorum which was traditionally used by Mayan shamans for spiritual purposes and is also quite legal?

Do you think it was okay that your friend lost two years of his life for what happened? What if it was in the 30's and he got caught for selling a bottle of wine?

Thank you for helping me understand your point of view.

Upvote 0
D

Dukey

notapillow said:
hey there
i was just wondeing what you guys veiws on drug use are
i smoke weed regularly and am a big fan of psilocybin
and a few lesser known drugs
i see nothing wrong with it, if anything these drugs have helped my life alot
but the ever growing war on drugs has got me worryed to say the leased
so wha5t say you :)
my friend enjoys drugs but his heart stopped twice so far and they had to revive him

Upvote 0

Anovah

Jun 6, 2004
Oregon
✟14,597.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Dukey said:
my friend enjoys drugs but his heart stopped twice so far and they had to revive him
By "drugs" I assume you are talking about a particular drug that he overdosed on (which sounds horrible by the way). Could you tell us what that particular drug is? Simply telling us that it was "drugs" distorts the issue and does not help anyone understand what kind of drugs can cause overdoses (mainly white drugs i.e. pharmaceuticals).

Reactions: creep
Upvote 0
D

Dukey

Anovah said:
By "drugs" I assume you are talking about a particular drug that he overdosed on (which sounds horrible by the way). Could you tell us what that particular drug is? Simply telling us that it was "drugs" distorts the issue and does not help anyone understand what kind of drugs can cause overdoses (mainly white drugs i.e. pharmaceuticals).
the first time he told me that he was using marajuana and mushrooms....but he lied....he was actually using krack and heroin mixed....which he admitted to later....he still drinks quite a bit....it all started with his drinking

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
A

ajm122188

notapillow said:
hey there
i was just wondeing what you guys veiws on drug use are
i smoke weed regularly and am a big fan of psilocybin
and a few lesser known drugs
i see nothing wrong with it, if anything these drugs have helped my life alot
but the ever growing war on drugs has got me worryed to say the leased
so wha5t say you :)
If you're going to smoke, then smoke. It's your life you're ruining, not mine.

Upvote 0

aragorn

Y ah we here fallen
Sep 18, 2003
✟563.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Others
there are two drugs that I really believe are good for you. If done in the right way, and in moderation.

Ecstasy and LSD.

When I take LSD, magic happens. There is no other word for it. When lots of people take LSD together, more magic happens, the boundary between spirit and matter gets blurred. If the whole planet took it together, we'd probably ascend into heaven, or heaven would descend to earth.

It's our future.

It's kind of funny that people spent so long praying to God to redeem the world. And he gives us LSD at the same time as we create the atomic bomb, and then we make it illegal. Well it would be funny if it wasn't so sad. We made the blood of Christ illlegal, and now we wonder why the world is such a mess.

Upvote 0

Anovah

Jun 6, 2004
Oregon
✟14,597.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Dukey said:
the first time he told me that he was using marajuana and mushrooms....but he lied....he was actually using krack and heroin mixed....which he admitted to later....he still drinks quite a bit....it all started with his drinking
Wow my friend, that is no good. The lies, the abuse and that he is still drinking. Alcoholism is important to recognize too. For example my family has a history of alcoholism, so I stay away from the stuff. But I credit that choice to being well educated on the subject.

I will send good thoughts to you and your friend.

ajm122188 said:
If you're going to smoke, then smoke. It's your life you're ruining, not mine.
Could you elaborate on how smoking will ruin their life?

Thank you.

aragorn said:
there are two drugs that I really believe are good for you. If done in the right way, and in moderation.

Ecstasy and LSD.

When I take LSD, magic happens. There is no other word for it. When lots of people take LSD together, more magic happens, the boundary between spirit and matter gets blurred. If the whole planet took it together, we'd probably ascend into heaven, or heaven would descend to earth.

It's our future.

It's kind of funny that people spent so long praying to God to redeem the world. And he gives us LSD at the same time as we create the atomic bomb, and then we make it illegal. Well it would be funny if it wasn't so sad. We made the blood of Christ illlegal, and now we wonder why the world is such a mess.

Has your experience in this matter ruined your life in any conceivable way? Why or why not?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Anovah

Jun 6, 2004
Oregon
✟14,597.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Would you be willing to discuss this? What is being justified? How is it sin?

StreetPreacher said:
Some of the things I read on these forums. I guess people can try and justify anything if they really want to. It really doesn't surprise me none. People love their sin and they will do and say anything to have their sin.

Upvote 0

GreenDragon

Sep 29, 2004
✟16,164.00
Faith
Protestant
StreetPreacher said:
Why discuss it? Will it really matter what I say or most importantly what God says? I don't think it will. People are going to do what they want to do no matter what.
You're right, people will do what they want anyway. But we would like to know why you think that; that's the whole point of discussion and this forum.

Upvote 0

Anovah

Jun 6, 2004
Oregon
✟14,597.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
StreetPreacher said:
Why discuss it? Will it really matter what I say or most importantly what God says? I don't think it will. People are going to do what they want to do no matter what.
Yes, I believe that it does matter. I will genuinely consider what you have to say and you have my guarantee that I will not put you down. I would like to know why you think this way and why I may or may not agree. Would you be willing to discuss it now?

Upvote 0