LifeToTheFullest!

May 12, 2004
✟6,295.00
Faith
Agnostic
arizona_sunshine said:
For the record, I did offer that I feel there are exceptions to my ultimate opinion. Here:

However.

I do not consider 'dieting', for the purpose of improving one's health, synonymous with 'destroying a physical body.'

I also addressed your second question here:

I would consider excessive indulging in chocolate and/or candy ultimately sinful, sure.

Give up chocolate? Let's not get personal, mister. :p

Listen. Please try to detatch yourself as best you can from the cliche connotation carried by the word 'sin.' I prefer not to use the term, but anything else would not express the "Christian" theology-based indiscretion of which I speak.

I do not personally consider destroying one's body by careless over-indulgence, self-inflicted deprevation, or recreational usage of mind-altering substances to be compatible with the selfless example and teaching of Christ. On that basis, I consider them sinful.
You go girl!

Upvote 0

FaithfulInHim

Sep 23, 2004
✟7,698.00
Faith
Non-Denom
arizona_sunshine said:

Eating & sleeping to points of excess I would consider sinful.

In addition, it is my obligation, as a self-proclaimed follower of Christ, to make my existance more than self-serving. I am to exist for the benefit of others. If anyone has missed that lesson, they understand little of Christ and His example.
:eek: :eek: So, let me get this straight, because I sleep in occasionally on the wkend, I'm being sinful and now I understand little of Christ?

Are you serious?

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
notapillow said:
hey there
i was just wondeing what you guys veiws on drug use are
i smoke weed regularly and am a big fan of psilocybin
and a few lesser known drugs
i see nothing wrong with it, if anything these drugs have helped my life alot
but the ever growing war on drugs has got me worryed to say the leased
so wha5t say you :)
I personally have never taken drugs and would never take them because I don't want to mess up my brain chemistry or become psychologically dependent on them. (I don't smoke cigarettes either, and drink alchohol very much in moderation.) I am "high on life", as they say, and I think that is the best policy towards life.

That said, I am opposed to the War on Drugs. I think it is foolish to perpetuate a policy that only serves to enrich criminals and provides a "carrot" that encourages people to become criminals, and that corrupts law enforcement and weakens respect for the law. Even if drugs cause harm, the War on Drugs causes far worse harm and should be abolished.

Upvote 0

FaithfulInHim

Sep 23, 2004
✟7,698.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Akasa said:
Well she does have a point. If your children, and family is suffering because you are being lazy, that IS sinful. And eating too much is gluttony. A very deadly sin ;)
I cannot be a good mother to my children, nor a good wife to my husband if am run down. Everyone deserves a little extra shut eye. I hardly think sleeping in is considered a sin. :doh:

Upvote 0

arizona_sunshine

Dec 15, 2003
✟3,323.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
FaithfulInHim said:
:eek: :eek: So, let me get this straight, because I sleep in occasionally on the wkend, I'm being sinful and now I understand little of Christ?

Are you serious?

Did you need me to define the term excessive for you?

I have related my ideal opinions. These are opinions I apply to myself, and hold myself responsible for my own integrity.

I do not use my opinions to judge others. If you feel that my sharing an opinion is the same as my passing judgement upon you, you have painfully misunderstood my intent.

I am very serious. :)

Upvote 0

arizona_sunshine

Dec 15, 2003
✟3,323.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Akasa said:
But recreational/spiritual use of some drugs isn't harmful, arizona. And, if it brings you closer to God, and is a spiritual tool then who are you or anyone else to say it is sinful.

I have not made the case that recreational/spiritual drug use is harmful, only that it is not self-less - thereby not compatible with my understanding of the teachings of Christ. Within my own paradigm, which does include spritual ordinances and rituals, I am not aware of any sanctified recreational substance usage.

So I am completely bias to my own understanding and experience. And again, I should make the determination that I never consider my own opinions meters by which to judge others.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

arizona_sunshine

Dec 15, 2003
✟3,323.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
FaithfulInHim said:
I cannot be a good mother to my children, nor a good wife to my husband if am run down. Everyone deserves a little extra shut eye. I hardly think sleeping in is considered a sin. :doh:

Sometimes it helps when you read a person's commentary with the desire to understand what they are saying, in the best possible light. If you are merely looking for a reason to become offended, it will always be found.

Upvote 0

Akasa

Aug 27, 2004
arkansas
✟15,226.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
arizona_sunshine said:
I have not made the case that recreational/spiritual drug use is harmful, only that it is not self-less - thereby not compatible with my understanding of the teachings of Christ. Within my own paradigm, which does include spritual ordinances and rituals, I am not aware of any sanctified recreational substance usage.

So I am completely bias to my own understanding and experience. And again, I should make the determination that I never consider my own opinions meters by which to judge others.
I wasn't saying you were, just continuing the discussion :)

Upvote 0

FaithfulInHim

Sep 23, 2004
✟7,698.00
Faith
Non-Denom
arizona_sunshine said:
Sometimes it helps when you read a person's commentary with the desire to understand what they are saying, in the best possible light. If you are merely looking for a reason to become offended, it will always be found.
1 - I read your commentary.

2 - I was having a discussion and saying that made no sense to me.

3 - I wasn't offended.

4- Do not presume you can read another's thoughts.

Is being rude sinful to you as well?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

arizona_sunshine

Dec 15, 2003
✟3,323.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
FaithfulInHim said:
1 - I read your commentary.

2 - I was having a discussion and saying that made no sense to me.

3 - I wasn't offended.

4- Do not presume you can read another's thoughts.

Is being rude sinful to you as well?

If you need more clarification that that which can be found in post #29, let me know.

Your original response implied defense to an accusation that was never made.

Upvote 0
J

JustJack!

Well, you thought they were your best points at the time...
And I still thought so when I reread them the next morning. ;)

Yourself and God!

Who exactly are you to speak for God? Further more, who are you to speak for my God? Who are you to even say there is a God? Like saying that I'm hurting Santa Clause by smoking.

Besides, I'm sure the Big Man smokes anyways. Such terrible children and constant failure oh His plans would drive anyone to smoke.

And the harm to myself is minimal and not life threatening. There are pros and cons to every action. And for me, the pros of smoking outweigh the cons.

Upvote 0

FaithfulInHim

Sep 23, 2004
✟7,698.00
Faith
Non-Denom
arizona_sunshine said:
If you need more clarification that that which can be found in post #29, let me know.

Your original response implied defense to an accusation that was never made.
whatever - you are being too defensive and it's pointless to carry this conversation on further with you. No need to be rude - this IS a christian forums board. May God bless you and I'll say a prayer for you this evening. :)

Upvote 0

sculpturegirl

Aug 26, 2004
Maryland
Visit site
✟1,045.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Why is it exactly that one uses drugs? Is it really necessary to harm your body and mind in order to relax? Have some tea or A glass of wine. Take a hot bath.Why are they so stressed out? Do people take drugs to fit in? Why are they so insecure? Taking drugs to escape from life? Embrace Christ! I think people need to be more honest with themselves and the reasons why they need to use drugs.

Plus, much trouble comes with addiction. Addiction is much like idolotry and it begins to control people's lives. For example, though I do not think smoking will land people in hell, I used to spend a lot of time around a smoker and it seemed like his world revolved around the next cigarette. He tried to quit. He wanted to fly to Europe, but 8 hours on a plane without a smoke seemed almost unbearable. It sucked up much of his paycheck each month, it was hard to get health insurance, I was too allergic to ride in his car, and he took a smoke break every hour on the hour. It really seems to me that the ciggys were more in charge than he. Is the same true for weed, acid, E, heroin?

I do not think that weed will send you to hell, but I think that it can damage your relationship with God. Unless of course, you are using it medically and responsibly.

Upvote 0
J

JustJack!

sculpturegirl said:
Why is it exactly that one uses drugs? Is it really necessary to harm your body and mind in order to relax?
Again, the harm is minimal, and not life-threatening.

Have some tea or A glass of wine.
Unlike smoking, when I drink, I tend to do thing I regret the next morning. If you only knew some of the things that I've done or almost done while drunk, you'ld definitely agree that smoking is better over a glass of mine any day. At least for me anyways.

Take a hot bath.Why are they so stressed out?
You've never been stressed out?

Do people take drugs to fit in? Why are they so insecure?
Taking drugs to be popular is a very bad reason to use drugs. Most of my friends don't smoke. Which kinda sucks cuz any smoker will tell you that it's better to smoke with another than to smoke alone.

Taking drugs to escape from life? Embrace Christ!
No! Embrace Mary Jane! :p

I think people need to be more honest with themselves and the reasons why they need to use drugs.
I don't smoke because I need to, but because I want to. Weed has no physically addicting chemicals in it.

Plus, much trouble comes with addiction. Addiction is much like idolotry and it begins to control people's lives. For example, though I do not think smoking will land people in hell, I used to spend a lot of time around a smoker and it seemed like his world revolved around the next cigarette. He tried to quit. He wanted to fly to Europe, but 8 hours on a plane without a smoke seemed almost unbearable. It sucked up much of his paycheck each month, it was hard to get health insurance, I was too allergic to ride in his car, and he took a smoke break every hour on the hour. It really seems to me that the ciggys were more in charge than he. Is the same true for weed, acid, E, heroin?
Again, weed has no physically addicting chemicals in it. It's not like Heroien or cigs.

As for the other drugs, I really don't know. Never tried heroien, cocain, crack, meth or speed. I've tried acid a couple times. It was fun but not something you want to do everyday. And X is more a libito drug. My g/f and I do X occasionally, but not enough to get addicted.

Upvote 0