Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟568,602.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I have a question...
The 8th Son,and I will go to the Bigger Catholic Church around us .
The 8th we will go for the Rite of Election of Catechumens.
Can someone explain so to make sure I know this for sure?

The rite of election is essentially a welcome into the parish, by both catechumen and parishioners, that points to the journey into full communion you are about to take.

It was referred to by early fathers: so is part of early Church history,

Just looking that up - hypollytus speaks of it in 2nd century ( when the church was still not able to practice openly, is amazing such documents survived ) and a more detailed account is found in fourth century the time of the creed, and the canon - (New Testament) was finally confirmed.

So the rite is not in itself a sacrament, but ( my view) adds to the beauty and richness of conforming to Christian history. There was a time during the worst of the persecutions, when catechumens were asked to leave before the Eucharist.

Here is something interesting on it.
https://georgiabulletin.org/commentary/2004/03/rite-election-can-traced-back-early-church/

But do focus on early fathers... read them, you will find the underpinning of much of what you are taught about the faith.

For example ignatius ( he and polycarp disciples of John the apostle) in his letter to smyrneans speaks of a Eucharist of the real body, valid only if performed by succession bishops or appointees. If John didn't know what john 6 meant , who did!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,176.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello I am just dropping in.
I can say I am a going to be catholic since I am in the middle of RCIA classes,(to be honest at the very beginning i thought at 50 i was too old to be going through all of this---I was wrong) and on the 8th I go through Rite of Election and so on and so on :)
I am Baptized in another Faith but am Baptized so that will take a step out... I am so excited :)
My Son is going through it as well..
Any ways I am from the Lone Star State.
Nice to meet every one
Hey, bless you! Love your profile Saint!

Upvote 0