Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
It's probably for people who regard the atmosphere as the most important part of music.

That sounds like something they'd play in a Halloween haunted house.
I agree that the atmosphere is important, its just hard to pinpoint the point for me. For me the atmosphere is also defined by rhythm, the beat as well as what is done on the guitars and drums, and vocals. I'm listening to this and think, or where is the beat? Where is the rhythm? Is this a long intro into the song?

To each their own I suppose.

Upvote 0

Blackguard_

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
Feb 9, 2004
Tucson
✟18,992.00
Faith
Lutheran
For me the atmosphere is also defined by rhythm, the beat as well as what is done on the guitars and drums, and vocals. I'm listening to this and think, or where is the beat? Where is the rhythm? Is this a long intro into the song?
Agreed, but I think this stuff might be closer to sound effects than music. It seems too gimmicky to be much else.

I don't know what the point of this is either. Maybe it's a failed sonic experiment. As you say it sounds kind of like a long intro. Maybe they thought they had a neat guitar effect and ran it into the ground?

Upvote 0

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Agreed, but I think this stuff might be closer to sound effects than music. It seems too gimmicky to be much else.

I don't know what the point of this is either. Maybe it's a failed sonic experiment. As you say it sounds kind of like a long intro. Maybe they thought they had a neat guitar effect and ran it into the ground?

Maybe.

Thing is tho, Sun O))) has some decent popularity. I have heard of the name before, and I know they've been in the metal magazines before and people like them and this was the first time I've listened to their music and I'm just confused.

I agrere with you tho. It sounds more like sound affects than music.

Upvote 0
D

Dasein

I'm a huge fan of Drone and Doom....and Drone Doom :p

For me it is the layered tones, the atmosphere, the density more than anything. Don't check out live performances for an understanding, look at some released songs.

Sunn O))) are, as you noted, one of the more popular ones, but check out the following: "It took the night to believe" is probably one of my fave Sunn O))) tracks.

Earth were the primary influence for Sunn O)) (some may say that Sunn O))) are basically just an Earth tribute band of sorts... :D), but they took a drastic turn towards non-distorted drone a few years back, and i love it. I often use the track "An Inquest Concerning Teeth" for prayer, actually! Very relaxing and contemplative I feel!

For more generic doom (without the drone influence) you can't do better than Electric Wizard. Much more 'normal' and closer to mainstream metal (you could easily mistake it for Sabbath). Try Funeralopolis by Electric Wizard.

For some other really good black-influenced Drone Doom, try Country Doctor by Burning Witch or Skin Coat by Khanate

Sorry for overdoing it with the Southern Lord bands (Southern are a pretty prolific Drone and Doom label), but I think if you listen to all of those and still don't get it, there's not a lot more I could do to explain it!

All of those songs are available in their album-recorded format on YouTube. I would have put the links in myself, but apparently the forum won't let me until I have more posts!! :doh:

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2018
Russellville
✟7,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
What the heck you talkin' about Sunn O))) plays the best blackened drone/doom metal out there! (Jk about the "what the heck you talkin' about")

But in all seriousness, for those who are really into this kind of music, heavy drone atmospheric black metal especially (including myself) Sunn O))) is considered one of the best in this category. So in reality it all comes down to personal taste. I already have two people that just popped up in my head that consider Sunn O))) to be great music. Not because of the atmosphere or visual themes, but rather their own personal taste. It's so easy these days to strap an ideology to a musical genre merely because of the way that it sounds (to them). Some people just enjoy expressing their musical taste in different ways than others. Does that make them bad? Nah. Does that mean that no one else is supposed to like that style of music either? No, of course not. It all comes down to personal taste in the end.

(BTW I realize that this is a very old post, but I was like "Why not".)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums