Drag queen story time is worse than ads for hyper sexualized reality tv shows?

perplexed

Jun 22, 2005
✟101,449.00
Faith
Seeker
If I was a child, the message I would get from ads for Hyper sexualized reality TV show is that it is really fun to sleep around and to fantasize about sleeping around.
Such ads are common,
My question is drag queen story time more of a problem or not ? Why ?

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: DaisyDay

Mayzoo

Jun 17, 2004
✟205,449.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Heterosexual sex is splashed EVERYWHERE. I am an ol' married person of 32 years, and the stuff on TV, commercials, games, radio, and PDA make me uncomfortable.

But yeah, the message is sex is everywhere, great fun, and almost ramification free. The ads here on The Christian Forum make me uncomfortable. At one time, more of my nieces/nephews were living with a partner than were married. 50% of them stated they would never get married. This is just commonplace now, in the media and in real life. The downsides of random sex are rarely publically shown, but the "upsides" of sex on tap/hookups/friends with benefits is loud and clear.

I only see/hear about drag queen story hour here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,192,332.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If I was a child, the message I would get from ads for Hyper sexualized reality TV show is that it is really fun to sleep around and to fantasize about sleeping around.
Such ads are common,
Expressions of heterosexual seem invisible to many who say often, loudly, that the gays should keep it to themselves.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,669.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Such ads are common,
Way back forty years ago there was a primetime television (ABC, I believe) show starring Tom Hanks called “Bosom Buddies”.

Prime time, right in front of the kids, for two years!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,409.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I think the wonkiest part of this timelines is thr absolutely absurdity of child beauty pagents that take place without any friction feom the far right.

How can you proclaim to be against child sexualization and not abhor these things?

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Such ads are common,
It's not that one is worse than the other. They are both just as bad.

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟98,686.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Such ads are common,
It isn't a problem at all....except for right wing zealots who needed a new group to demonize.

Drag has been a convention of theatre for literally thousands of years. Only now has it become an issue.

It's not just an adult thing either. Kids have seen performers in drag for generations.

Bugs.jpg

-- A2SG, kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit.....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Such ads are common,
Why would a parent allow their children to watch hyper sexualized reality shows ?

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
??? Don't you see ads for them all the time???
There is a difference between a 30 second ad on tv and a 30 min session of a man dressed like a woman reading a story.

One is something you see for a moment and the other is what your parents endorse and bring you to experience.

Sort of like the difference in seeing a 30 second spot on a car crash and going to a crash scene

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟315,079.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Such ads are common,
You can’t target gays (legally) now and the GOP always needs some group to be hated by right wing voters.

That’s the reason the GOP got in bed with the Evangelicals and the racist Dems in the south; so the always had a reactionary group to aim at the minority group de jour to evoke the fear of others that the GOP can save them from.

It’s just the drag queens turn: it’s nothing more than that. And so on a so forth.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟315,079.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
There is a difference between a 30 second ad on tv and a 30 min session of a man dressed like a woman reading a story.

One is something you see for a moment and the other is what your parents endorse and bring you to experience.

Sort of like the difference in seeing a 30 second spot on a car crash and going to a crash scene
So one is down with parental support and presence and the other is just a random ad?

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So one is down with parental support and presence and the other is just a random ad?
Well, let's take a look at it as dispassionately as possible.

One lasts 30 seconds and happens infrequently - the other is a planned event that mom and/or dad get you ready for - drive you to and tell you to be there.

Which has greater effect on the child?

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,065.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

One lasts 30 seconds and happens infrequently - the other is a planned event that mom and/or dad get you ready for - drive you to and tell you to be there.

Bigger effects aren't necessarily negative.
Unless the goal is to prevent people from actually seeing what these story hours are about, as opposed to the far-right mythology is telling us they must be about.

Upvote 0

perplexed

Jun 22, 2005
✟101,449.00
Faith
Seeker

In my case the 30 seconds that are far from infrequent, had much more of an impact Nobody directly told me the lie inappropriate content was fun, the ancient equivalents of the 30 second indirectly told me that lie.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟315,079.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

Infrequently? Have you seen those ads? But hopefully the trip to the DQSH will inculcate them into inclusivity and respect for diversity. And incidentally that is the exact opposite of what happens in church (and with a significantly lesser chance of running into at least one child molester).

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Way back forty years ago there was a primetime television (ABC, I believe) show starring Tom Hanks called “Bosom Buddies”.
Yeah he wasn’t actually drag if I remember right him & his buddy only dressed like that to live in that particular apartment building that was for women only.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In my case the 30 seconds that are far from infrequent, had much more of an impact Nobody directly told me the lie inappropriate content was fun, the ancient equivalents of the 30 second indirectly told me that lie.
Sorry to hear that.
Infrequently? Have you seen those ads? But hopefully the trip to the DQSH will inculcate them into inclusivity and respect for diversity. And incidentally that is the exact opposite of what happens in church (and with a significantly lesser chance of running into at least one child molester).
Immoral is immoral no matter where it happens. As a parent and now a grand parent, i want my children and grads to be protected from immoral issues period. Personally, I just do not have the time to sit in front of that idiot box in the living room. We were archaic parents, kids did not have tv's in their rooms and our tv time was about 2 hours a day. After school was homework and play time - mostly outdoors - then dinner as a family and depending on the day, some type of sporting event, reading time, game night etc.

I'm also cheap and do not pay for cable TV - IMHO if you spend more time watching tv than you do reading - you are doing yourself a disservice intellectually.

Not everyone has the same experiences each of us makes our own decisions for ourselves and our families. If you want to bring your children to see men dressed like women reading stories - have at it. That is your right and your choice. My deciding not to is my right and my choice and just because I don't agree nor support the choice does not make me a homophobe anymore than your position makes you a Christophobe.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
If you want to bring your children to see men dressed like women reading stories - have at it. That is your right and your choice.
And THAT is the issue. With the right shutting the reading time down, parents are left with no choice. That is not freedom.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,829.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

A one time event could make an impression but the cumulative effect of these 30 secs over days, weeks, months, years, decades normalizes the message in a way that the other would not, imo.

• Agree
Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0