Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
Indianapolis
✟8,970.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
How do you know for sure if you have been baptised in the Holy Spirit? I prayed for it for years and was given my prayer language. I did not practice and as I was praying I felt like I was just moving my mouth not actually "doing" anything. Are these just doubts or could I have lost it? How do I know when I have recieved the baptism (with tongues or without)?:confused:

bigboy89

Apr 19, 2006
Texas
✟8,121.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
when u become baptised in the Holy Spirit it isn't just speaking in tongues. it is also getting excited and really getting into worship and parying like there ain't no stinkin' tomorrow and ... and.... yea and u can't really lose it u. u just need to use it more.. yea

Upvote 0

FLA2760

Apr 15, 2006
Spring Hill, Fl
✟15,325.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
shamsweedo said:
How do you know for sure if you have been baptised in the Holy Spirit? I prayed for it for years and was given my prayer language. I did not practice and as I was praying I felt like I was just moving my mouth not actually "doing" anything. Are these just doubts or could I have lost it? How do I know when I have recieved the baptism (with tongues or without)?:confused:
Hi
When we are saved we are baptized into the Body of Christ and sealed unto the day of redemption. God set His seal of ownership on us! This is salvation. When the diciples were in the upper room waiting for the "Promise of the Father" this was the baptism with the Holy Spirit for power and service. As far a losing a spiritual gift the Scripture says that "the gifts and the calling of God are without repentance" God given gifts are operated by the Spirit when God sees fit. The scripture says in acts that they all spoke in tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance. It is the Spirit that gives the words we are the ones that yield our lips to the Spirit.
GOD BLESS

Upvote 0

RevKidd

Simple Mans Theologian
Dec 18, 2002
Visit site
✟9,180.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
shamsweedo said:

Read this...

1 Corinthians 12:1-3
1 Now about spiritual gifts, brothers, I do not want you to be ignorant.
2 You know that when you were pagans, somehow or other you were influenced and led astray to mute idols. 3 Therefore I tell you that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, "Jesus be cursed," and no one can say, "Jesus is Lord," except by the Holy Spirit.[/QUOTE]

Do you profess that Jesus is Lord with all your heart?

If yes, than according to Paul, you have the Holy Spirit.

Mainstream Pentecostalism has many millions of people believing that if they don't speak in tongues than they don't have the Holy Spirit. But Paul says otherwise. Our confession of Christ is enough evidence that the Holy Spirit is evident in our live.

But what are these gifts then. Read on.

4 There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit.
5 There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord.
6 There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men.
7 Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good.

The gifts of the spirit are given for the common good of what? The body of Christ. Not you or I. Gifts of the spirit are used for edification and evangelism. Not as evidence that you or I are filled with the Holy Spirit. Paul said at the beginning of the chapter that if you confess Christ as Lord you are filled. So the fact that we are believers together and confess Christ is enough evidence that you and I are both filled.

But what about the gifts?

To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit,
9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit,
10 to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues.
11 All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines.

There is no doubt about it that there are Spiritual Gifts. Actually 9 of em. In verse 11 Paul says something that is completely missed by most pentecostals today. The Holy Spirit give to us as HE determines not what we think we should have because our denomination or some friend or our, God forbid, our Pastor says so.

Most churches today teach that Tongues is THE ONLY initial evidence. But that is just not true. Tongues can be a evidence, but it is not the ONLY evidence. Tongues was so prevelant in the Book of Acts because it was used as a tool of evangelism. Not because each believer needed evidence of the new converts. Why was 3000 added to the church on the day of pentecost. Not because of Tongues ONLY. But because tongues was used as a tool of evangelism. It caught the attention of those listening because they heard their own language being spoken by those who should not. Then Peter using many of the other gifts of the spirit gave the sermon of his life and 3000 were added to the church.

Just because tongues is mentioned more than the other gifts in Acts does not make it the pinnicle or the only evidence we should look to for the infilling. Paul said, our confession shows that the Holy Spirit is in ones life.

Acts is a historical book. It is a book of snapshots. Events that took place in the first century church. The only way that we could build doctrine and theology from Acts is if Acts contained close to all the events in the first century. Because it doesn't we have to use other NT writtings. And Paul is the best resource.

So if everyone is to speak in tongues why does Paul say this at the end of Ch. 12...

27 Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.
28 And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, also those having gifts of healing, those able to help others, those with gifts of administration, and those speaking in different kinds of tongues.
29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles?
30 Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret?
31 But eagerly desire the greater gifts.

Paul is clearly making the point that not everyone will excersize all the same gifts. Early in the chapter Paul explains that we are a body. And that body is made up of different parts. Imagine if we all talked in tongues but no one ever excersized none of the other 8 gifts. Think if our bodies were all made up of noses. We wouldn't be very effective, and we would die. Same with the body of Christ.

So remember this.

You proclaim Christ as your lord. That is evidence that you are filled.

There are 9 gifts of the spirit. Not just tongues.

As Paul said, seek out what the Spirit wants YOU to have and not what everyone thinks you should have.

Your gift maybe teaching, Faith, wisdom, prophecy, Discernment, Knowledge, healing or miracles... Let the Holy Spirit work in you. And if He wants you to have tongues you will, WHEN IT IS NECCESSARY. Tongues today are spoken so much that most of it is not genuine. Sorry to say that. But tongues had a purpose back in the First Century. It wasn't used like it is being used today.

Seek out a gift that will benefit the body of believers that you belong to. And if they insist on you speaking in tongues as evidence, tell them to read 1 Corinthians 12.

Upvote 0

JEBrady

Mar 24, 2006
NY
✟17,370.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
shamsweedo said:

That prayer language was tongues, and you received the promise of our Father in heaven. Remember, every good and every perfect gift comes down from the Father of the heavenly lights, and He does not change like shifting shadows. He is the same yesterday, today and forever. Praise Him!

You received it by faith, you didn't lose it, and don't let anything or anyone rob you of your faith. Next time you go to prayer, start out thanking God for the Comforter, for not leaving you an orphan, for being such a wonderful Father to you, thank Him for everything you can think of, thank Him for filling you with the precious Holy Spirit, thank Him that you can pray in the spirit, and then go ahead and pray and don't entertain these thoughts of doubt, these lies. Go forward in faith. Tomorrow do the same thing. Do it every time you go to prayer. Don't give place to the enemy, he is a liar and the father of it, and will steal from you through unbelief if he can.

If you, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to them that ask!!!

Continue on, God never takes those things away from you. You still have it. Practise your faith.

Father, in Jesus name, I pray you visit the Holy Spirit on my dear sister in a special way and that you'd lift her up to a new level in you, bless her Lord. In Jesus' name.

Upvote 0

RevKidd

Simple Mans Theologian
Dec 18, 2002
Visit site
✟9,180.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Don't think that Tongues is your only evidence for you infilling. Paul says in 1 Corinthians 12 that no one says that Christ is lord except by the power of the Holy Spirit.

There are 9 gifts that evidential of someone who is a Christian along with the fruits of the spirit. Do not be brainwashed thinking that you have to speak in tongues.

Remember the Holy Spirit gives the utterance out of that utterance can come 1, 2, or more of the 9 gifts.

Yes tongues can be one of them but is not the only one. And if it was one that the Holy Spirit wanted you to have you would not struggle with it. No where do you see anyone struggle with the gifts.

Have faith, and believe that the Holy Spirit will empower you with his power. Just be ready to be a vessel to be used. To be in continual prayer so when the time is right, the Holy Spirit will work in you using 1 or more of the 9 gifts.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.