Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I've just moved into a single room at my new school (since they messed up my room assignment at the beginning of the semester), so now I get to decorate my room any way I want, without needing a roommate's approval.

I'm using a lot of tapestries (Kohl's was selling fairly big ones for $9, so I grabbed a lot of those) to cover my walls, and I'm using two as makeshift headboards/footboards. Now I'm wondering if I should cover up the ugly overhead lights. Has anyone tried anything like that before I set my heart on it? I don't have a lot of command strips left, and I'm hoping this would let light through but make it less obnoxious.

And how did the rest of you make your rooms more hospitable? It's nice that I have a single (it's called a super single because it has an attached bathroom), but dorms are still usually cold and cramped.

Reactions: Mary Meg

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Just a thought but won't you be needing shelving and storage bins?

I wouldn't cover so much up that you wouldn't have room for shelving..

Is the overhead light something you can turn off? If so just use a lamp or two for light..

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Just a thought but won't you be needing shelving and storage bins?

I wouldn't cover so much up that you wouldn't have storage space..

Is the overhead light something you can turn off? If so just use a lamp or two for light..
The only things I'd need to shelve would be my textbooks and notebooks, and those just live in my desk or backpack. As for storage bins, I don't need those outside of move-in and move-out day. I travel fairly light.

• Useful
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Can you put motivational and Christian posters in your wall?
Sure can- but I mostly own large framed pictures, and those require nails (which would land me with a heavy fine). I think I'll be bringing my small pieta statue, though.

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Oh- I've also put reed diffusers in my room and bathroom. They're not as strong as candles but leave everything smelling fresh. I'd recommend those to anyone whose school (probably all of them?) won't allow you to use candles.

Upvote 0

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟485,795.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Now I'm wondering if I should cover up the ugly overhead lights. Has anyone tried anything like that before I set my heart on it?

I had a very thin material hanging from my ceiling in my one room apartment back in the 70s - I loved it. I was able to put a brighter bulb in the ceiling fixture and I added a dimmer switch so I could adjust the light perfectly. I'd recommend those upgrades if you can get away with it.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The only things I'd need to shelve would be my textbooks and notebooks

Books tend to accumulate, both from past courses, and from reading outside your courses.

For someone in your position (aren't you intending to go to seminary?) I'd be disappointed if you weren't drowning in books pretty soon.

Now I'm wondering if I should cover up the ugly overhead lights.

That's something to be careful with. Done the wrong way, with the wrong kind of light, it could start a fire.

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Books tend to accumulate, both from past courses, and from reading outside your courses.

For someone in your position (aren't you intending to go to seminary?) I'd be disappointed if you weren't drowning in books pretty soon.

That's something to be careful with. Done the wrong way, with the wrong kind of light, it could start a fire.
I learned that I couldn't hang anything from the ceilings, so I avoided it (I have to hang my paper lanterns from my bed posts now). All old books either go home to accumulate dust or get re-homed.

I'm not allowed to use nails, and adhesive strips have failed me a lot this semester, so I don't have a means of retaining most of my books (which is fine, since most have been worthless after the end of the semester).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I've just moved into a single room at my new school (since they messed up my room assignment at the beginning of the semester), so now I get to decorate my room any way I want, without needing a roommate's approval.

I'm using a lot of tapestries (Kohl's was selling fairly big ones for $9, so I grabbed a lot of those) to cover my walls, and I'm using two as makeshift headboards/footboards. Now I'm wondering if I should cover up the ugly overhead lights. Has anyone tried anything like that before I set my heart on it? I don't have a lot of command strips left, and I'm hoping this would let light through but make it less obnoxious.

And how did the rest of you make your rooms more hospitable? It's nice that I have a single (it's called a super single because it has an attached bathroom), but dorms are still usually cold and cramped.

You've put me to shame, lol. The only decor I've got is some flags for the Braves & Falcons. My girlfriend really put effort into her place, it paid off. It looks great. I spent more time on decorating her place than mine. Well by decorating I mean carrying stuff up and putting it where she told me it should go, lol.

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I think the most important thing for decorating a room is to have a variety of motivational stuff: Posters, quotes, etc and change them out, put new ones up every couple of weeks

another college trick I used was earplugs, the type you can squish and stick in your ears.

SOmetimes you want to nap and people are running around being loud, it's nice to be able to put some earplugs in and sleep like the dead without having to worry about being woken up...

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
You should buy a blanket or comfy chair,that made my room a lot comfy.

Agree with you on that. My girlfriend's mom made me a really nice quilt for Christmas. It's made a world of difference in comfort AND it looks much better on my bed than that bedding in a plastic bag I had from before.

Reactions: Christgirl67
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Can you put motivational and Christian posters in your wall?

Do you go to college in the US or Ecuador? I'm totally wondering what colleges are like in Ecuador including dorm life. Do you live in a dorm?

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Do you go to college in the US or Ecuador? I'm totally wondering what colleges are like in Ecuador including dorm life. Do you live in a dorm?
I go to college in the US but I am currently in Ecuador solving some Visa issues.

• Prayers
Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0