Don't you think you throw God out of your life?

Do you agree that supporting secularism we throw God out of our life?

• Yes, I agree

• Partially agree

• No, I disagree

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
That is a silly thing to say... That is like saying you are confusing quick with quickly.
Hmm, looks like you are confusing them too and your grasp of grammar is not the best. Secularism and secularity are nouns. Quick is an adjective and quickly is the adverb from that adjective. They are not comparable. Perhaps this will help:

Secularism is the belief that government or public bodies should exist separate from religion.
Secularity is the state of being secular i.e. separated from religion.

So secularism applies only to government and public bodies, it does not apply to your private life. Whereas secularity can apply to both government and private life.

Upvote 0

Apathy826

Mar 21, 2011
✟7,617.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hmm, looks like you are confusing them too and your grasp of grammar is not the best. Secularism and secularity are nouns. Quick is an adjective and quickly is the adverb from that adjective. They are not comparable. Perhaps this will help:

Secularism is the belief that government or public bodies should exist separate from religion.
Secularity is the state of being secular i.e. separated from religion.

So secularism applies only to government and public bodies, it does not apply to your private life. Whereas secularity can apply to both government and private life.

Your splitting hairs.

Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Your splitting hairs.
Maybe but the question is to do with secularism and not secularity. It is an important difference. The question as it stands is "If we keep religion out of public affairs are we taking religion out of our personal lives?"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,249,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
In one of previous threads - "Should secularism be?", most of you voted for support secularism. Don't you think you throw God out of your life?
I haven't seen the other thread to which you refer, but I voted "no" because God is Omnipresent and cannot be "thrown out" of anywhere. :)

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I haven't seen the other thread to which you refer, but I voted "no" because God is Omnipresent and cannot be "thrown out" of anywhere. :)

Tell that to the people who keep insisting that we "threw god out" of the public school system. ^_^

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,249,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
Tell that to the people who keep insisting that we "threw god out" of the public school system. ^_^
:) I was thinking the same thing when I posted that, lol! Such drama... God hasn't gone anywhere; He doesn't go off and sulk just because people think He can merely be shoo'ed away. :D

Reactions: selfinflikted
Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
:) I was thinking the same thing when I posted that, lol! Such drama... God hasn't gone anywhere; He doesn't go off and sulk just because people think He can merely be shoo'ed away. :D

Good. That should be extremely reassuring to those people who think that they cannot pray in school anymore. I've been trying to tell them this all along :)

Upvote 0

Apathy826

Mar 21, 2011
✟7,617.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Maybe but the question is to do with secularism and not secularity. It is an important difference. The question as it stands is "If we keep religion out of public affairs are we taking religion out of our personal lives?"

The use of the word secularism means it is separated from religion, it can be used to describe a state or a persons ethics. I did use the term incorrectly.

Secularism - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

"indifference to or rejection or exclusion of religion and religious considerations"

If you have a problem with that take it up with Mr. Webster.

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,249,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
Good. That should be extremely reassuring to those people who think that they cannot pray in school anymore. I've been trying to tell them this all along :)
I hear ya; that's another issue that leaves me scratching my head ...

God is basically telepathic. He can read our thoughts. We can pray in our thoughts, and He'll get the memo(s).

What can get outlawed is the act of showing off that one is praying, which is fine, because, according to Jesus' directives in Matthew 6, we aren't supposed to be flaunting the fact that we're praying anyway. We're supposed to be doing it privately.

Prayer itself cannot be outlawed because, if done right, it can't be detected by the "Prayer Police". Publicly demonstrating the fact that one is praying, however, can be outlawed. Jesus already said 'don't do that', so if secular law wishes to enforce His sentiments on that, more power to 'em.

Sorry to digress and go off on that tangent... it's one of my pet peeves, hehee!!
^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HELENz

Love is the meaning to the world
Jun 4, 2007
Canton, Ohio
✟8,991.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
No. All it means is that I have the right to worship a God, while others have the right to not do so. It simply makes faith what it should be: personal. I don't want others (re: Atheists and other faiths) attempting to convert me, and I'm not attempting to convert others. I'm just trying to live the best life I can, showing love to all.

Upvote 0

Krus

Jan 16, 2008
Ukraine
✟15,258.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Quite right. Secularism does not mean a ban on religion. It merely requires that religion be kept out of civil and political affairs. There is still room for religion in your personal life if you so choose.
But why people through out God from political and civil affairs?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
In one of previous threads - "Should secularism be?", most of you voted for support secularism. Don't you think you throw God out of your life?
I do, in your eyes, but not by being a secularist. I was a secularist when I was still Christian.

Upvote 0