Wilmington, DE
✟18,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is that supposed to be a reply to my post? Yes, words are often used hyperbolically as you just did in your post. BUT in the vs. I quoted we know that the writer of Eccleiastes is not using hyperbole when he said "olam" because he defined it as "nothing can be put to it, nor any thing taken from it:"
If I were to say something is eternal, it means the thing has no beginning or end.
if something that has both a beginning and an end is given eternal life, it means that the thing can now be said to have no beginning or end.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If I were to say something is eternal, it means the thing has no beginning or end.
if something that has both a beginning and an end is given eternal life, it means that the thing can now be said to have no beginning or end.
Not necessarily. If God says something is eternal, then it is eternal our limited comprehension not withstanding. And if you review my posts #3 and 4, above. I quoted 24 scripture which define aionios as eternal, everlasting, unending etc.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If I were to say Jesus’ reign over the earth is to be forever, It means his reign is to last 1,000 years.
What you might or might not say is not relevant to my posts above. The Greek word "aionios" does NOT mean 1000 years. In my posts #2 and #3 above I Iist 24 vss which define aionios as eternal, forever, endless etc. That is not a scholar giving his unsupported opinion but the vss. themselves defining the word aionios. See e.g.
John 3:15
(15) That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal [aionion] life.
John 3:16
(16) For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting [aionion] life.
In these two verses Jesus parallels “aionion life” with “should not perish,” twice. By definition “aionion life” means eternal or everlasting life.

Upvote 0

One God and Father of All

Apr 20, 2018
Wilmington, DE
✟18,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What you might or might not say is not relevant to my posts above. The Greek word "aionios" does NOT mean 1000 years. In my posts #2 and #3 above I Iist 24 vss which define aionios as eternal, forever, endless etc. That is not a scholar giving his unsupported opinion but the vss. themselves defining the word aionios. See e.g.
John 3:15
(15) That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal [aionion] life.
John 3:16
(16) For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting [aionion] life.
In these two verses Jesus parallels “aionion life” with “should not perish,” twice. By definition “aionion life” means eternal or everlasting life.
Everlasting life is life that has no beginning or end. It is given to those who have life that has both a beginning and end.

Upvote 0

One God and Father of All

Apr 20, 2018
Wilmington, DE
✟18,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not necessarily. If God says something is eternal, then it is eternal our limited comprehension not withstanding. And if you review my posts #3 and 4, above. I quoted 24 scripture which define aionios as eternal, everlasting, unending etc.
If a person is an immortal soul, it means the person has no beginning or end. therefore, an immortal soul needs not saving from death.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If a person is an immortal soul, it means the person has no beginning or end. therefore, an immortal soul needs not saving from death.
And that immortal soul has no beginning or end in the lake of fire.
Revelation 21:4
(4) And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

Revelation 21:7-8
(7) He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.
(8) But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Upvote 0