Does your husband order for you?

P

purplecloth

Why is it considered good manners for a guy to get the order from his wife or gf and then tell the waiter/waitress both orders?

I'm trying to understand how this became so and what is the meaning behind such actions? Why is this considered polite/good manners?

Is it because women shouldn't speak to the staff? I'm really baffled.

thats OK overit, i dont get it either!

Upvote 0

c1ners

Senior Contributor
Dec 12, 2005
US
✟30,977.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
lol! If one person does all the talking there is less of a chance that the waitress will get distracted and mess up the order. It's also more polite for her. It's not easy going from person to person, and sometimes more than one person will be talking to her at the same time.

Upvote 0

sparassidae

In Christ Alone
Apr 3, 2007
Sydney, Australia
✟18,403.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Maybe this is where it started- Women not allowed to speak in public kind of thing. Now I just consider it one of the ways he shows love to me/serves me. I show love in other ways.

lol! If one person does all the talking there is less of a chance that the waitress will get distracted and mess up the order. It's also more polite for her. It's not easy going from person to person, and sometimes more than one person will be talking to her at the same time.

This is basically the reason we stick with DH ordering.

Upvote 0

moonkitty

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2006
✟16,945.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

I waited tables one summer and I had no trouble taking orders from several people at the same table. I actaully found it eaiser this way to remeber who ordered what.

Upvote 0

jwwells

Feb 26, 2007
✟8,210.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why is it considered good manners for a guy to get the order from his wife or gf and then tell the waiter/waitress both orders?

I'm trying to understand how this became so and what is the meaning behind such actions? Why is this considered polite/good manners?

These things come from traditional manners, mostly derived from chivalry. Some of tradition hangs around still, like men opening doors for their wife. Some tradition has disappeared completely, like women ensuring that their husband is never bothered by the little things in life.

We're in a changing society. Manners, like everything else are still changing. The last manners set to change are the male obligations to females. Who knows what will happen ?

This is my analysis of the politics of the thing as they currently exist: Politically, women want men to follow the chivalry rules without women having any obligation to men. Men are starting to fight back.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
E

Evangelina

This is my analysis of the politics of the thing as they currently exist: Politically, women want men to follow the chivalry rules without women having any obligation to men. Men are starting to fight back.
:eek: I expect the same from myself as from my husband... surely it isn't THAT rare?

But I guess when you look at it, most of the 'chivalry' type things are pretty darn useless apart from making a couple feel good about each other. Women don't tend to need help crossing roads, talking to serving staff or opening doors these days. Our dress codes and upbringing make us far more self-reliant. Hmmm... maybe the women who want to be treated chivalrously see it more as a romantic move than a functional one?

Upvote 0

overit

Veteran
Sep 26, 2006
✟17,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
These things come from traditional manners, mostly derived from chivalry. Some of tradition hangs around still, like men opening doors for their wife. Some tradition has disappeared completely, like women ensuring that their husband is never bothered by the little things in life.

We're in a changing society. Manners, like everything else are still changing. The last manners set to change are the male obligations to females. Who knows what will happen ?

Nobody is answering WHY it's considered good manners. Define chivalry when it refers to a man speaking for a woman at a restaurant. Maybe Im' dense but I don't get the WHY it would be considered "chivalry" exactly.

What is the purpose behind speaking for her to the wait staff?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DonaldOrwinRenKern

Author Rafi Perez
Aug 8, 2007
✟16,092.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

I do things not because I have to or I'm a guy. I hold the door open for people, man or women. If I know what everyone want's I'll order...

Male obligations??? Men are starting to fight back??? Are we at war? I am very much amazed by some of the machismo comments I hear from people that are trying to acheive being as Christ like as possible. I wonder if he thought of it as a male obligation.

Reactions: HeatherJay
Upvote 0

JustBoo

Dressed up for my Anniversary - March 13th
Nov 27, 2006
Eastern Canada
✟15,872.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ugh.
It most likely comes from the idea that it is innapropriate for a woman to be heard / speak to anyone but her husband so she would tell him what she desied and he would order it. My husband never does this. Actually he used to make/beg me to do it for HIM. He'd tell me what he wanted then have me order it. I always hated doing it because I felt like waitstaff would think I was controlling. That's what I would think of a man or woman who did this.

Upvote 0

HeatherJay

Kisser of Boo-Boos
Sep 1, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
✟41,276.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My wife orders for herself unless she has told me what she wants. I always thought it would be embarrassing to be the guy to order something she didn't like.
It's the same with us. The only time he would ever order for me is when I've already told him what I want, and I'm busy with the kids or in the restroom or something. And even then, unless we were in a major hurry, he probably wouldn't go beyond ordering my drink for me (because I always drink the same thing), lol.

He's just not "that guy."

Upvote 0

Adela

Senior Veteran
Oct 29, 2005
Georgia
✟2,695.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Some tradition has disappeared completely, like women ensuring that their husband is never bothered by the little things in life.

This is a highly generalized and sexist comment.
You first of all made a sweeping judgment about all women. Then you assume that men are so important that they shouldn’t be bothered by the “little things.”
What do you consider to be the little things in life? Do you believe women should be burdened with them more than men?

These things come from traditional manners, mostly derived from chivalry.

Shouldn’t we all be chivalrous towards each other, not matter what are gender is? I open the door for both men and women.

Upvote 0