Does Your Church Recite the Creed Every Sunday?

• I am Catholic or Orthodox and we recite the Nicene Creed at Mass/Divine Liturgy on Sunday.

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I am Anglican and we recite the Nicene Creed every Sunday.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • I am Anglican and we recite the Nicene or Apostles Creed depending on the Sunday.

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • I am Anglican and we do not recite a Creed ever.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am a non-Anglican Protestant and we recite the Nicene Creed every Sunday.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • I am a non-Anglican Protestant and we recite the Apostles Creed every Sunday.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • I am a non-Anglican Protestant and we recite the Nicene or Apostles Creed depending on the Sunday,

• I am a non-Anglican Protestant and we do not recite a Creed ever.

• Total voters

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟477,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I am seeking to find out how many members have the experience of Eastern, Oriental or Assyrian Orthodox, Roman and Eastern Catholics, most Anglicans and many Lutherans of hearing the Nicene, Apostles or even the Athanasian Creed every Sunday.

If you are a member of a Protestant Church other than the Anglican Church, please say which denomination, or non-denominational if that applies to you, and which creeds you use, and if you use both the Nicene and Apostles’ Creeds, which Sunday occasions you use each creed for? (I.e. the Nicene Creed before Holy Communion services and the Apostles’ Creed otherwise).

Also, if your church ever recites the Athanasian Creed or another Creed on Sunday, please specify your denomination and the creed, and when you use it.

In all cases, non-denominational churches are being counted as Protestant for this thread.

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,160,272.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am seeking to find out how many members have the experience of Eastern, Oriental or Assyrian Orthodox, Roman and Eastern Catholics, most Anglicans and many Lutherans of hearing the Nicene, Apostles or even the Athanasian Creed every Sunday.

If you are a member of a Protestant Church other than the Anglican Church, please say which denomination, or non-denominational if that applies to you, and which creeds you use, and if you use both the Nicene and Apostles’ Creeds, which Sunday occasions you use each creed for? (I.e. the Nicene Creed before Holy Communion services and the Apostles’ Creed otherwise).

Also, if your church ever recites the Athanasian Creed or another Creed on Sunday, please specify your denomination and the creed, and when you use it.

In all cases, non-denominational churches are being counted as Protestant for this thread.
I felt I wanted another category (though the 2nd to last was close enough I went ahead and clicked that), which has at least many tens of millions or even hundreds of millions: the many churches like Lutheran were we recite the apostles' creed, but it's pretty common for it to be once a month or such. So we recite creeds often, regularly, but not every Sunday. (And we recite the Nicene periodically, and even the lengthy Athanasian Creed once or twice a year.)

• Informative
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟841,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
PCUSA and it varies, but around here we recite the Apostles Creed every Sunday except those Sundays we celebrate the Eucharist. On those Sundays we recite the Nicene Creed.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,274,586.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Lutheran LCMC and we recite the Apostles creed every Sunday and add the Athanasian creed on Trinity Sunday.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Athanasius377

Is playing with his Tonka truck.
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cincinnati
✟708,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I belong to a reformed Anglican body and we use the Apostle's creed for Morning and Evening Prayer, Nicene for Sunday Holy Communion. We also use the Athanasian Creed at the appointed times.

• Winner
Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟216,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I attend both a Reformed church & a Baptist church. At both we say the Apostle's Creed depending on the Sunday.
Only times I can say for sure is when there's a baptism, new member joining, or new deacons/elders.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟477,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟477,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I belong to a reformed Anglican body and we use the Apostle's creed for Morning and Evening Prayer, Nicene for Sunday Holy Communion. We also use the Athanasian Creed at the appointed times.

Reformed Episcopal Church / ACNA or a Continuing Anglican churh?

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟477,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Hi @The Liturgist

The fellowship that I worship with is one of the Baptist denominations.

God bless,
Ted

Ah, for purposes of convenience most people generally group Baptists under Protestants, since they are usually regarded as such. I apologize if this came across as insensitive to your own denominational self-identification.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ah, for purposes of convenience most people generally group Baptists under Protestants, since they are usually regarded as such. I apologize if this came across as insensitive to your own denominational self-identification.

Hi @The Liturgist

No, I didn't take it as being insensitive to my own denominational self-identification. I merely disagree that the Baptist denomination sprang forth from the protesting of the RCC's teachings that established what are really referred to as the 'protestant' denominations. The word 'protestant' came about to identify those newly established denominations that began to have issues with the RCC teachings and practices. They then established themselves as separate denominations to show that they were set apart from the roots of their beginnings through the RCC.

The Baptist denomination has always stood against the teachings of the RCC. Their roots are traced back through the Anabaptists who took that name for the express purpose of showing that they did not adhere to the practice or teaching of babies and children, too young to make a conscious decision to love Jesus, being baptized. That is still one of the core theological differences that sets the Baptist denomination, still to this day, against many of the protestant denominations,

Now, I understand that a lot of people don't see it this way. I also realize that a lot of believers aren't young creation believers. But that doesn't mean that those who do see these things as being the truth of the matter, are wrong. So, for me, and I readily admit that this is only my own personal understanding of the issue, when one speaks of the protestant denominations, they are referring to those who came out of the great protest against the RCC. Of which the Baptist denomination was not a part.

God bless,
Ted

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟758,524.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm Catholic and have been for about 25 years, or maybe a bit less. Before that I was Presbyterian, and have attended Baptist and Wesleyan Methodist services with the occasional foray into other denominations. I don't recall the creeds being said at any of the three I've mentioned.

In my experience as a Catholic we've nearly always used the Apostles Creed (which isn't shown as an option in the vote above).

Either one is accepted, but as I was going through RCIA, somebody said to me if you're going to learn one thing, "... learn the creed." I'm pretty sure he meant the Nicene Creed, as I was given a copy of it as part of the RCIA induction.

But as I said above, in our parish and possibly diocese we've nearly always used the Apostles Creed.

I was curious about this, and the priest gave me an answer which pretty much went in one ear and out the other unfortunately. It has something to do with the church trying to be faithful to tradition, Now an again there is a change to the liturgy. When I first started, we had a response at certain times which was "... and also with you." But that got changed a few years later to "... and with your spirit..."

I'm afraid the liturgical fine print that brought in the change is beyond my ambit.

But it would be fair to say that we recite one of the creeds at every mass.

The Nicene Creed is a bit more majestic and poetic. It emphasises Christ's divinity more than the Apostles Creed as it was a specific response to the Arian heresy, which denied his divine nature. The Apostles Creed predated it, and was used as a baptismal creed in the early church.

Essentially though, they both say the same thing.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟477,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm Catholic and have been for about 25 years, or maybe a bit less. Before that I was Presbyterian, and have attended Baptist and Wesleyan Methodist services with the occasional foray into other denominations. I don't recall the creeds being said at any of the three I've mentioned.

In my experience as a Catholic we've nearly always used the Apostles Creed (which isn't shown as an option in the vote above).

Either one is accepted, but as I was going through RCIA, somebody said to me if you're going to learn one thing, "... learn the creed." I'm pretty sure he meant the Nicene Creed, as I was given a copy of it as part of the RCIA induction.

But as I said above, in our parish and possibly diocese we've nearly always used the Apostles Creed.

I was curious about this, and the priest gave me an answer which pretty much went in one ear and out the other unfortunately. It has something to do with the church trying to be faithful to tradition, Now an again there is a change to the liturgy. When I first started, we had a response at certain times which was "... and also with you." But that got changed a few years later to "... and with your spirit..."

I'm afraid the liturgical fine print that brought in the change is beyond my ambit.

But it would be fair to say that we recite one of the creeds at every mass.

The Nicene Creed is a bit more majestic and poetic. It emphasises Christ's divinity more than the Apostles Creed as it was a specific response to the Arian heresy, which denied his divine nature. The Apostles Creed predated it, and was used as a baptismal creed in the early church.

Essentially though, they both say the same thing.

Actually, I left it out as an option because the Orthodox don’t use it, whereas the Roman Catholics use the Apostles Creed a lot, but my main goal was to find out about creed usage among Protestants, so I was basically trying to cluster Catholics, Orthodox and Assyrians together in a group. Anglicans also use the Apostles Creed; they tend to use it almost invariably during the Divine Office (Mattins, Evensong) whereas the main Sunday Eucharist will use the Nicene Creed or in some provinces on Trinity Sunday, Quincunque Vult (the Athanasian Creed), which the Eastern Orthodox print a version of lacking the filioque in some of their prayerbooks and service books (Greek Horologia and Russian/Ukrainian Church Slavonic Psalters, and A Psalter for Prayer, by Holy Trinity Monastery (ROCOR) in Jordanville, New York, which is modeled on the aformentioned Slavonic Psalters, using the Coverdale Psalter corrected against the Septuagint.

You will also find a Septuagint-based Psalter in the Challoner Douai-Rheims Bible, because not only do Orthodox liturgics depend on the division of the Psalms in the Septuagint, as do the Traditional Latin Breviaries (Dominican, Roman, Roman revised by St. Pius X, and Monastic/Benedictine, and of course the Ambrosian and Mozarabic and other regional variarions. Of these, the old Roman Breviary was notorious for problems compared to the Dominican and Benedictine Breviary, although not everyone liked the fix St. Pius X applied; I am not familiar enough, but I do know his work on the liturgical calendar was brilliant, as was his Motu Proprio on Sacred Music, Tra la solicitudini, the non-enforcement of which by the CDW is almost as much a tragedy as their attempt with Pope Francis to undo Summorum Pontificum and ban the Traditional Latin Mass).

By the way, speaking of the traditional Latin rites, Quincunque Vult (the Athanasian Creed, as it is mistakenly called) was used at Prime, which was suppressed from the Novus Ordo Liturgy of the Hours by Sacrosanctum Concilium, a rare example of an objectionable decision regarding the liturgy made at Vatican II rather than by Archbishop Bugnini and Pope Paul VI exceeding their mandate.

Upvote 0