Does the world hate us because of Jesus or because of the way we treat them?

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Tull

Aug 13, 2016
Virginia
✟29,416.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The left is always telling us that not all Muslims are terrorist and to ignore the headlines yet they will hunt far and wide to find anyone whos calls themselves a Christian and trumpets their words as loudly as they can and offer the exception as the rule and claim to speak for the "world"

The Christians being slaughtered in the middle east are not hated because of this or any of the martyrs......bunch of leftist anti christian tripe.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
In general, what the world hates about Christianity is what the world has always hated about Jews. In the old religions, correct sacrafices and ritual was all that was necessary in man's interaction with the other world. Nobody expected anyone to treat their neighbours fairly or keep their pants zipped up. All that the pharoahs et al had to do was to offer the proper ritual and incantation and the gods would bestow their favors. The gods neither gave love, nor expected it in return. It is love that introduces the idea of morality into the world.
Jews introduced to the world the idea of an ethical God who expects people to act ethically and according to a moral code that is not often amenable to the indulging in the pleasures that we all like. That is what a personal relationship with God entails.
People didn't like that about the Jews, and they don't like that about Christians either. Yea, sure, lots of Christians are not all that ethical either, and the world especially delights in this. It gives the world great pleasure to point out where Christians fail, and let's face it, we all do. We are all sinners, some more than others.
But the recurring theme has always been to 'stop shoving your morality in our faces'. People do not want to be reminded that our creation is a moral creation and that our world operates on moral principles. People want to live according to their own desires, and Christianity preaches a contrary message.
Sure, people love to hate Christians who are publicly shamed by their sins, and whose sins reveal them as jerks. But they will hate Christians who are exemplary even more. Just look at how Christopher Hitchens slurred Mother Teresa. It really pricks people's consciences to see people walking in the footsteps of Christ because it reminds them that we have all been created as moral beings.
That will always be at the core of why the world does not like Christians.

I would agree, though since I started reading parts of the OT I've wondered about the "ethical and God brings morality" thing (I mean, since the Bible was written by men inspired by God they could have been mistaken I suppose...)

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I would agree, though since I started reading parts of the OT I've wondered about the "ethical and God brings morality" thing (I mean, since the Bible was written by men inspired by God they could have been mistaken I suppose...)
Maybe it is more a question of God interacting with men and women where they are at at any given place and time, according to their own understandings, rather than using 21st century sensitivities and sensibilities as the absolute reference point of what morality and ethics means.
The Bible, among other things, is a Sacred History. This means that prudential judgement needs to take into account where where 3500 years of interacting with Biblical text has taken mankind, rather than to focus only on the starting point.

Upvote 0