Does the Vision of the Figs hold any end time significance?

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jeremiah 24 (BSB)

After Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon had carried away Jeconiah son of Jehoiakim king of Judah, as well as the officials of Judah and the craftsmen and metalsmiths from Jerusalem, and had brought them to Babylon, the LORD showed me two baskets of figs placed in front of the temple of the LORD. One basket had very good figs, like those that ripen early, but the other basket contained very poor figs, so bad they could not be eaten.
“Jeremiah,” the LORD asked, “what do you see?”
“Figs!” I replied. “The good figs are very good, but the bad figs are very bad, so bad they cannot be eaten.”
Then the word of the LORD came to me, saying, “This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: ‘Like these good figs, so I regard as good the exiles from Judah, whom I have sent away from this place to the land of the Chaldeans. I will keep My eyes on them for good and will return them to this land. I will build them up and not tear them down; I will plant them and not uproot them. I will give them a heart to know Me, that I am the LORD. They will be My people, and I will be their God, for they will return to Me with all their heart.
But like the bad figs, so bad they cannot be eaten,’ says the LORD, ‘so will I deal with Zedekiah king of Judah, his officials, and the remnant of Jerusalem—those remaining in this land and those living in the land of Egypt. I will make them a horror and an offense to all the kingdoms of the earth, a disgrace and an object of scorn, ridicule, and cursing wherever I have banished them. And I will send against them sword and famine and plague, until they have perished from the land that I gave to them and their fathers.’”

So from this vision, we can see the LORD sovereignly removing a remnant of His people from Jerusalem before judgement was to come in force. Like the good figs, these people were to be spared from God's wrath. The bad figs however, were to catch the full force of divine judgement.

However, one thing to note, Jeremiah was left behind of course. And in the story of Jeremiah, we see that there are a relative few who also follow the LORD that are left in Jerusalem.

Now, I'm not a pre-trib believer, but this does seem to offer some value to such a doctrine. That God will remove the bulk of His people before judgement comes, and leave a relative few to continue to minister.

keras

Writer of studies on Bible prophecy
Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟294,048.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The 'sending away' was AFTER the Babylonian conquest of Judah.

God does not change, Malachi 3:6, Hebrews 13:8, He has not taken people to heaven to avoid trials and testing before and He is not Prophesied to do it for us today. Be prepared to stand firm in your faith through all that must happen before the glorious Return of Jesus.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The 'sending away' was AFTER the Babylonian conquest of Judah.

God does not change, Malachi 3:6, Hebrews 13:8, He has not taken people to heaven to avoid trials and testing before and He is not Prophesied to do it for us today. Be prepared to stand firm in your faith through all that must happen before the glorious Return of Jesus.
No, Daniel was sent to Babylon in the first group of Jews, before the city was destroyed. He was a "good fig"

Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟105,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jeremiah 24 (BSB)

After Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon had carried away Jeconiah son of Jehoiakim king of Judah, as well as the officials of Judah and the craftsmen and metalsmiths from Jerusalem, and had brought them to Babylon, the LORD showed me two baskets of figs placed in front of the temple of the LORD. One basket had very good figs, like those that ripen early, but the other basket contained very poor figs, so bad they could not be eaten.
“Jeremiah,” the LORD asked, “what do you see?”
“Figs!” I replied. “The good figs are very good, but the bad figs are very bad, so bad they cannot be eaten.”
Then the word of the LORD came to me, saying, “This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: ‘Like these good figs, so I regard as good the exiles from Judah, whom I have sent away from this place to the land of the Chaldeans. I will keep My eyes on them for good and will return them to this land. I will build them up and not tear them down; I will plant them and not uproot them. I will give them a heart to know Me, that I am the LORD. They will be My people, and I will be their God, for they will return to Me with all their heart.
But like the bad figs, so bad they cannot be eaten,’ says the LORD, ‘so will I deal with Zedekiah king of Judah, his officials, and the remnant of Jerusalem—those remaining in this land and those living in the land of Egypt. I will make them a horror and an offense to all the kingdoms of the earth, a disgrace and an object of scorn, ridicule, and cursing wherever I have banished them. And I will send against them sword and famine and plague, until they have perished from the land that I gave to them and their fathers.’”

So from this vision, we can see the LORD sovereignly removing a remnant of His people from Jerusalem before judgement was to come in force. Like the good figs, these people were to be spared from God's wrath. The bad figs however, were to catch the full force of divine judgement.

However, one thing to note, Jeremiah was left behind of course. And in the story of Jeremiah, we see that there are a relative few who also follow the LORD that are left in Jerusalem.

Now, I'm not a pre-trib believer, but this does seem to offer some value to such a doctrine. That God will remove the bulk of His people before judgement comes, and leave a relative few to continue to minister.
Actually, the Jews carried away into exile, who were God's "favored," did not escape. They were actually captured, but not killed. And they were taken away into slavery.

God simply intended to produce a "new Israel" through them so that their descendants in the future would return to the land. Just as the Year of Jubilee meant debts would be cancelled and lands would be returned, so God would cancel the sin debt of the Jews and return them to Israel after they had served their sentence in exile.

Those who had gone down into Egypt were intransigent Jews, just like today's Jews who harden their hearts against the Gospel and utterly reject Christianity. But those Jews, still in Diaspora, are a people from whom God will take a remnant to inherit their land once again, and rebuild a full nation there.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually, the Jews carried away into exile, who were God's "favored," did not escape. They were actually captured, but not killed. And they were taken away into slavery.

God simply intended to produce a "new Israel" through them so that their descendants in the future would return to the land. Just as the Year of Jubilee meant debts would be cancelled and lands would be returned, so God would cancel the sin debt of the Jews and return them to Israel after they had served their sentence in exile.

Those who had gone down into Egypt were intransigent Jews, just like today's Jews who harden their hearts against the Gospel and utterly reject Christianity. But those Jews, still in Diaspora, are a people from whom God will take a remnant to inherit their land once again, and rebuild a full nation there.
They absolutely escaped by not being in Jerusalem during the siege, capture, and destruction. God spared them from all the horrible things that those who were left had to endure and go through.

Besides, the text I quoted quite dramatically explains that difference in detail. The first group God will keep His eyes on them for good, the remaining group will become a horror to themselves.

Look here, this doesn't sound much like slavery to me:

This is what the Lord of Hosts, the God of Israel, says to all the exiles who were carried away from Jerusalem to Babylon: “Build houses and settle down. Plant gardens and eat their produce. Take wives and have sons and daughters. Take wives for your sons and give your daughters in marriage, so that they too may have sons and daughters. Multiply there; do not decrease. Seek the prosperity of the city to which I have sent you as exiles. Pray to the Lord on its behalf, for if it prospers, you too will prosper.” For this is what the Lord says: “When Babylon’s seventy years are complete, I will attend to you and confirm My promise to restore you to this place. For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart.
Jeremiah 29:4‭-‬7‭, ‬10‭-‬13 BSB

The point here isn't about slavery or the likes, it's about God removing a group so they escape the horrors of divine judgement before it happens. And that is exactly what happened.

Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟105,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
They absolutely escaped by not being in Jerusalem during the siege, capture, and destruction. God spared them from all the horrible things that those who were left had to endure and go through.

Besides, the text I quoted quite dramatically explains that difference in detail. The first group God will keep His eyes on them for good, the remaining group will become a horror to themselves.

Look here, this doesn't sound much like slavery to me:

This is what the Lord of Hosts, the God of Israel, says to all the exiles who were carried away from Jerusalem to Babylon: “Build houses and settle down. Plant gardens and eat their produce. Take wives and have sons and daughters. Take wives for your sons and give your daughters in marriage, so that they too may have sons and daughters. Multiply there; do not decrease. Seek the prosperity of the city to which I have sent you as exiles. Pray to the Lord on its behalf, for if it prospers, you too will prosper.” For this is what the Lord says: “When Babylon’s seventy years are complete, I will attend to you and confirm My promise to restore you to this place. For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart.
Jeremiah 29:4‭-‬7‭, ‬10‭-‬13 BSB

The point here isn't about slavery or the likes, it's about God removing a group so they escape the horrors of divine judgement before it happens. And that is exactly what happened.
I couldn't disagree with you more. These people were taken away into captivity and made slaves. God was just looking at the big picture and their future, encouraging them to survive the punishment that was being inflicted upon all the people.

You simply have to read the whole book of Jeremiah. It is a picture of divine judgment leveled against the vast majority of the Jewish People. And those taken away in captivity were included in the objects of God's wrath, though He tempered that with mercy because many of them capitulated to surrendering to the Babylonians.

They obeyed God, and though they were taken captive God had mercy on them and relied upon them to make a future for Israel when the national punishment was ended. They were being punished, but God was giving them some reprieve.

This is what the Lord of Hosts, the God of Israel, says to all the exiles who were carried away from Jerusalem to Babylon.

God gave the people of Israel a clear choice: either surrender to their punishment or be cast away completely as rebels. Running away to Egypt was not submission to God's word. Participating in rebellion against the Babylonians was ignoring the fact God was using the Babylonians to punish them for their idolatry.

All Israel was guilty to some degree, save for a very small number of people loyal to God. Those taken away into captivity as exiles were guilty of sins for which Israel was being punished. But there was mercy for them if they accepted their guilt and their punishment and obeyed God by surrendering to the Babylonians.

Upvote 0

anetazo

Feb 19, 2023
Meriden
✟27,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Jeremiah chapter 24 . The good figs and bad figs. They are Jews and kenites.
Tiny Israel, which is judah. Was established in may, 1948. They planted fig tree.
This is bible prophecy. September 20, 2023. The prime minister of tiny Israel, judah, met president in white house.
In Matthew chapter 24. Jesus says learn parable of the fig tree.

Bible prophecy is coming to pass. We're at the beginning of sorrows in Matthew chapter 24.
Were getting closer to the 6th trump. Satan as antichrist will come near future to Jerusalem. It's 5 month period.
Second thessalonians chapter 2 and revelation chapter 13.

Reactions: David Kent
Upvote 0

Douggg

anytime rapture, non-dispensationalist, futurist
May 28, 2009
Non-dispensationalist
✟359,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
In Matthew chapter 24. Jesus says learn parable of the fig tree.
May 14, 1948 did fulfill bible prophecy. The Jews in 1967 captured Jerusalem, as theirs again, so that the end time prophecies can be fulfilled before the 1967 fig tree generation passes away.

Jesus in the week which He would be rejected and crucified, on the way to entering Jerusalem, Jesus cursed a fig tree beside the road. Which that generation of Jerusalem would see its temple destroyed and the Jews led away captive into the nations.

The fig tree thus represents Jerusalem.

So, within 70 years from 1967, the end times prophecies in the bible will be fulfilled. What amazing times we are living in !

Including the rapture/resurrection event to heaven.

Upvote 0