Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Where is this report? The minimum wage at the time was $3.35 an hour. I can't find any model of inflation which says that $3.35 in 1986 is the same as $22 a day. Inflation is pretty horrible but it's not that bad.
You're right, the $22 dollar figure comes from "adjusting for today's productivity", although I'm not sure if that can be realistically calculated regarding minimum wage, since it factors in a lot of sectors that don't have anything to do with minimum wage.

Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
I can't imagine trying to live on $15 an hour. I get paid $25 an hour for teaching music & I'm only 16. I'm in Canada tho.
Minimum wage is used for completely unskilled labor, and if there are opportunities for long-term employment, your pay generally goes up with your experience. Nobody in America pays minimum wage for music lessons.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
In order to enact the level of wealth transfer that you are suggesting, you would need to outright confiscate the money and redistribute it, at which point we aren't discussing the minimum wage.
Not at all.
$22 per hour would have been the flat out minimum (not adjusted) wage 30 years ago (around 1980-1990)
IF the minimum wage had been tied to PROFITS the previous decades.
Thus that is what consumer reports reported.

They noted, as many more have noted, that INSTEAD of raising minimum wage,
the corporations RAISED CEO'S SALARIES MILLIONS UPON MILLIONS OF DOLLARS......
THUS instead of the workers being paid for what they produced accordingly,
the CEO's and such ilk PROFITED on the workers production/ efforts / sales/.

Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Not at all.
$22 per hour would have been the flat out minimum (not adjusted) wage 30 years ago (around 1980-1990)
IF the minimum wage had been tied to PROFITS the previous decades.
Thus that is what consumer reports reported.

They noted, as many more have noted, that INSTEAD of raising minimum wage,
the corporations RAISED CEO'S SALARIES MILLIONS UPON MILLIONS OF DOLLARS......
THUS instead of the workers being paid for what they produced accordingly,
the CEO's and such ilk PROFITED on the workers production/ efforts / sales/.
One of the major reason profits went up so much is because of outsourcing and the capacity to make goods much cheaper, so....

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
One of the major reason profits went up so much is because of outsourcing and the capacity to make goods much cheaper, so....
Your talking about a different time and different places.
The report by the consumer reports was based on US PRODUCTION and PROFITS, prior to 1980 or 1990.
NOT overseas.

Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
A lot of adults in the untied states south of you
are living on $7.25 per hour.
That's mainly college or entry level pay. You can find jobs that pay a lot more than that, but you have have some sort of skill, or be willing to do something harder.

Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Minimum wage is used for completely unskilled labor, and if there are opportunities for long-term employment, your pay generally goes up with your experience. Nobody in America pays minimum wage for music lessons.

That's not true. There are companies that have taken advantage of desperate people & paid them minimum wage even though they are skilled. My cousin only got minimum wage when she was working for a temp agency doing IT work that did take a lot of skill. She has a CS degree from a great college but she graduated during the recession & nobody was hiring. She said there were people of all ages & some with LOTS of experience who were also temping & also making minimum wage bc they had gotten laid off & didn't have another choice. She finally got a real salary after she finally got hired after temping for more than a year. She couldn't have survived if she'd had a family to support.

Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Your talking about a different time and different places.
The report by the consumer reports was based on US PRODUCTION and PROFITS, prior to 1980 or 1990.
NOT overseas.
Accounting for the massive population discrepancy? That is, are talking gross production, or production per capita?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
That's not true. There are companies that have taken advantage of desperate people & paid them minimum wage even though they are skilled. My cousin only got minimum wage when she was working for a temp agency doing IT work that did take a lot of skill. She has a CS degree from a great college but she graduated during the recession & nobody was hiring. She finally got a real salary after she finally got hired after temping for more than a year. She couldn't have survived if she'd had a family to support.
Did she do any manual labor jobs?

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Accounting for the massive population discrepancy? That is, are talking gross production, or production per capita?
Why resist?
Minimum wage would have been $22.00 per hour in the united states
IF
it was tied to PROFITS of the corporations and companies the workers worked for
Period.
That is what the nationwide broadcast/ published report was..

Reactions: tatteredsoul
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
QUOTE="Cimorene, post: 70023010, member: 383722"That's not true. There are companies that have taken advantage of desperate people & paid them minimum wage even though they are skilled. My cousin only got minimum wage when she was working for a temp agency doing IT work that did take a lot of skill. She has a CS degree from a great college but she graduated during the recession & nobody was hiring. She said there were people of all ages & some with LOTS of experience who were also temping & also making minimum wage bc they had gotten laid off & didn't have another choice. She finally got a real salary after she finally got hired after temping for more than a year. She couldn't have survived if she'd had a family to support. QUOTE

Correct. There's been PhDs, Masters Degrees, Bachelors Degrees AND skilled labor in MANY MANY AREAS AND FIELDS
working for minimum wage or close to it IN THE USA for about a century and more
And even though people get vexed by it,
if people just could not get a job that paid enough to survive,
and if they were eligible,
they joined the military..

Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Why resist?
Minimum wage would have been $22.00 per hour in the united states
IF
it was tied to PROFITS of the corporations and companies the workers worked for
Period.
That is what the nationwide broadcast/ published report was..
Do wages should be replaced by profit-sharing?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Why? Has that worked ? Does it matter ?
It probably does, since if you base minimum wage on a share of national profits, it will be a problem for businesses who take in far below average (which most businesses probably due, since average is not the same as median).

Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Also, again, one of the reasons PROFITS have gone up so much is outsourcing. Production might be purely domestic, but PROFITS includes the extra revenue from paying workers a lot less overseas. Which makes consumers more willing to buy, because the goods are cheaper.

Upvote 0

J Cord

Aug 1, 2016
Canada
✟25,780.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
What if the number required to do that is less than $15?

That's fine. Like I said, the services could be provided in numerous ways.

What I'm trying to get at here is that people who view the $15 minimum wage as a necessity usually don't have any real reason to support that number specifically. At best they, like you, will propose some sort of calculation process which theoretically could be used, but they don't actually go and use that process to arrive at $15.

It's a round number, and it's higher than the old minimum wage. Maybe it picked politically, enough to hopefully allow most people to not go to bed hungry every night, but not enough to get rejected by a Christian nation. Judging by the reactions I've read, a lot of Christians feel not going to bed hungry is a luxury some working people don't deserve.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's not true. There are companies that have taken advantage of desperate people & paid them minimum wage even though they are skilled. My cousin only got minimum wage when she was working for a temp agency doing IT work that did take a lot of skill. She has a CS degree from a great college but she graduated during the recession & nobody was hiring. She said there were people of all ages & some with LOTS of experience who were also temping & also making minimum wage bc they had gotten laid off & didn't have another choice. She finally got a real salary after she finally got hired after temping for more than a year. She couldn't have survived if she'd had a family to support. Correct. There's been PhDs, Masters Degrees, Bachelors Degrees AND skilled labor in MANY MANY AREAS AND FIELDS
working for minimum wage or close to it IN THE USA for about a century and more
And even though people get vexed by it,
if people just could not get a job that paid enough to survive,
and if they were eligible,
they joined the military..

This reminds me of a single panel cartoon from when I was in college (circa 1974-5) from Phil Frank called Frankly Speaking. In the pic a man with a desperate look on his face was standing in front of the Personnel desk of Acme Cap Company. The man seated and looking at his job ap had a bored look on his face and said to him "Only a Master's Degree? All my drivers have PhDs."

Upvote 0