yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
What I have never understood from $15 minimum wage supporters is what makes $15 the magic number.

When it is questioned whether businesses will be able to support paying their employees $15 per hour, the response is just that those companies are greedy, and if they overlook their greed they could afford to do it.

But that argument seems pretty independent of $15. Why not advocate for a $20 wage,
30 years ago,
consumer reports reported nationwide
the minimum wage at that time would be $22.00 per hour
IF
the minimum wage had been based on the PROFITS OF THE COMPANIES
and
not on greed.

Instead, the ceo's 'wages' went up millions (and perhaps more) of dollars
while the employees were kept low on purpose , legally, and immorally.

Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Non-sequiter. I never said they were.

I said anyone who works and contributes to society deserves to live above the poverty line.
Yes, I'd agree with that. Whether or not it is feasible is another story, especially since poverty's definition is based on relative worth compared to others. It would make more sense to talk in terms of being able to eat and things like that.

Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
30 years ago,
IF
and
not on greed.

A lot of production has since been outsourced (which has made consumerism a lot cheaper), so not comparable economies. The consumers bear as much of the blame for the fall in minimum wage as the corporate executive; corporate executives only outsourced production because it made consumers more willing to buy from them; if consumers refused to buy things not made in America, then things would always be made in America. Corporate executives who didn't follow suit might not only get a cut in profits, they might go out of business altogether.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
A lot of production has since been outsourced (which has made consumerism a lot cheaper), so not comparable economies. The consumers bear as much of the blame for the fall in minimum wage as the corporate executive; corporate executives only outsourced production because it made consumers more willing to buy from them; if consumers refused to buy things not made in America, then things would always be made in America. Corporate executives who didn't follow suit might not only get a cut in profits, they might go out of business altogether.
That's not what the rulers of society said all along,
and it doesn't even appear right.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm not sure what is considered the poverty line, but the wage should be high enough so that anyone who works and contributes to our society can feed their family a healthy diet, can keep a dry roof over their head with the basics such as electricity, heat, plumbing, etc., good healthcare and good education. I'm not saying a bunch of extras, just the basics.

It could happen in many ways, depending on what the government covers, and other issues.

What if the number required to do that is less than $15?

What I'm trying to get at here is that people who view the $15 minimum wage as a necessity usually don't have any real reason to support that number specifically. At best they, like you, will propose some sort of calculation process which theoretically could be used, but they don't actually go and use that process to arrive at $15.

Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
That's not what the rulers of society said all along,
and it doesn't even appear right.
You're familiar with the law of supply and demand, right? Well it works on labor as well: the more demand for labor relative to supply, the greater the value; the less demand for labor relative to supply, the less the value. Well if you have a bunch of jobs move overseas, that means the demand for domestic labor is going to be less, whereas the number of people willing to labor remains the same; so the supply is increased relative to demand, making the value plummet.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
30 years ago,
IF
and
not on greed.

What, what?

You're saying that some report 30 years ago said that $22 an hour was a reasonable wage for that time?

That's something like $50 an hour after inflation. On a 40-hour work week that's $2,000 a week and so $104,000 a year, which is far more than I make. In fact only the people who have been here for more than 20 years make more than that.

Who knew that it was all greed and my university could pay me more? I guess that all this doom and gloom I keep hearing about the college running out of money is just lies from greed.

Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
What if the number required to do that is less than $15?

What I'm trying to get at here is that people who view the $15 minimum wage as a necessity usually don't have any real reason to support that number specifically. At best they, like you, will propose some sort of calculation process which theoretically could be used, but they don't actually go and use that process to arrive at $15.
They also forget cost of living varies tremendously according to state and also within state.

Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
What, what?

You're saying that some report 30 years ago said that $22 an hour was a reasonable wage for that time?

That's something like $50 an hour after inflation. On a 40-hour work week that's $2,000 a week and so $104,000 a year, which is far more than I make.
He means accounting for inflation, presumably. That is, $22 in today's dollars, not $22 in yesterday's dollars.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Read the post. That would have been the MINIMUM WAGE 30 years ago.
That was the report from a consumer investigation/ report/ documentary (published and broadcast nationwide).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
They also forget cost of living varies tremendously according to state and also within state.

I was once told what the living wage per person was in USA. The person who told me did so because he was offended that so many in the area were paid below that wage. However, he did not know that I actually was paid significantly below that wage, and yet had a good apartment, never had trouble eating, and had money left over for entertainment and savings. It was a really cheap area to live.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
That's something like $50 an hour after inflation. On a 40-hour work week that's $2,000 a week and so $104,000 a year, which is far more than I make.
So?
A lot of people make $1200.00 a week and up.
Many don't lift a finger for their money.
I didn't EVER see ANYONE say the economy or the usa is fair and right.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Read the post. That would have been the MINIMUM WAGE 30 years ago.
That was the report from a consumer investigation/ report/ documentary (published and broadcast nationwide).

Which is what I said you said. You said and are saying that 30 years ago the minimum wage should have been $22, and I responded to that claim.

Are you saying that the minimum wage then should have been $10?

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
So?

If you think that it's plausible to give everyone yearly wages in the six digit figures, you don't understand economics at all.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
If you think that it's plausible to give everyone yearly wages in the six digit figures, you don't understand economics at all.
I never said I understand economics.
I just agree it is evil, as Scripture says.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
So?
The minimum wage was not $22 back then. The point is that if the minimum wage kept up with inflation, it would be $22 dollars today.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Go tell consumer reports that.
Check out the PROFITS and divide the PROFITS among the workers on the scale consumer reports used.
Maybe you just have no idea how much you are being robbed of.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
The minimum wage was not $22 back then. The point is that if the minimum wage kept up with inflation, it would be $22 dollars today.
No. The report was what the minimum wage would have been back then
and was according to the PROFITS, not inflation.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Where is this report? The minimum wage at the time was $3.35 an hour. I can't find any model of inflation which says that $3.35 in 1986 is the same as $22 a day. Inflation is pretty horrible but it's not that bad.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Go tell consumer reports that.
Check out the PROFITS and divide the PROFITS among the workers on the scale consumer reports used.
Maybe you just have no idea how much you are being robbed of.

I've seen the budget reports for university. Even if we did things like completely eliminate the salaries of much of the higher administrative positions, there still wouldn't be enough money to pay everyone in my position $100,000.

Even supposing that there were enough billionaires in America to fund an expansion of salaries across the country to the six digit level, raising the minimum wage wouldn't necessarily transfer that money, since most companies aren't owned by billionaires.

In order to enact the level of wealth transfer that you are suggesting, you would need to outright confiscate the money and redistribute it, at which point we aren't discussing the minimum wage.

How you think that any of this is related to a $15 minimum wage is beyond me. Hence why I say that you have no understanding of economics.

Upvote 0