Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Larry Norman? "Why should the devil have all the good music?" Early seventies?

Wow, I feel old. I don't know Echolyn.

But yeah, best guitar player I ever knew in person admitted Phil Keagy was the best guitarist there was.

37 years ago I sang in a Christian Rock Band when that kind of thing was almost unheard of.

Phil Keagy and LOVE SONG were the best - and they COMBINED.

There was also Second Chapter of Acts, Barry MacQuire, Andre Crouch and the disciples, Larry Norman - Bob Bennett came way later.

In mid-70's I was at Baylor University - lived right off campus near Miller Chapel

One Saturday a guy came by and said "Hey! Phil Keagy and Love Song are gonna play today at Miller Chapel! Baptists Student Union just announced it!"

We just laughed and said "sure, sure" but ph calls were made - it was legitimate - we walked a few blocks - looked around for vans big enough to carry equipment - and sure enough we were soon staring at their faces through the windows of the vans - waving 'em in to where Miller Chapel was - and helping 'em unload and set up.

It was great. After everything was packed away - Phil Keagy just sat there on a pew with an acoustic and played and sang for a solid hour, people just crowded around amazed.

I don't know any of the bands now - I just put on a Christian station sometimes and I LIKE IT - but it rarely has quality of "secular" music - but I don't consider that the "Devil's music".

Think of it though, "Christian rock" is just a real recent form of Christian Music

400-500 years ago - practically all music was Christian - some of it unequalled since - Handel, Bach, Josquin Des Pres, Palestrina... different type of music altogether

And HYMNS were what I grew up on - I mean another totally different genre

My son is at University of Southern Mississippi - music major - full scholarship

How he had a dorm room with two electrics, an acoustic, two classicals, a sax and a keyboard and a roommate is beyond me!

He can play like Jimi Hendrix, but his focus is classical guitar, that's what he is doing academically

It's not specifically "Christian" - its just music

Its not the Devil's music.

"The earth is the Lord's - and the fullness thereof"

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,894.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I don't think a person needs to just listen to Christian music. Personally I think most of it is horrible and don't listen to it. I don't think the devil owns any music either though.

Dr. Richard Eby saw some pretty cool things about music during his near death experience.

Jesus paused again.
"My book tells of the time when Lucifer's rebellion in heaven changed some things. He sought to usurp my Father's throne, assume his position as the most high God, and to rule the universe. For that blasphemy Lucifer was cast from heaven to Earth; in fact, I saw him fall as a bolt of lightning! In a tantrum of hate and rage over being deposed so fast he and his fallen angels disfigured our perfect Earth. It became void and uninhabitable. For punishment befitting his enemy of God, Lucifer was given a new name, Satan, since he was the self-appointed 'adversary' of the Almighty. Anything that God had made, Satan would attempt to destroy from then on. As Lucifer he had been created the highest angel about the throne, one of his assignments and talents being the chief musician in charge of worship and music. In his rebellious anger he set about destroying harmony on and in the Earth from then on. That is why the Earth where he operates now is out of harmony with God's other creations. In my book we call this disharmony 'sin', because it defies God's will that even the heavens declare the glory of God and the firmament show his handiwork.

"But be of good cheer, my son. The Father has permitted me to overcome Satan's world system of sin, and to destroy the works of Satan, and to re-establish righteousness in the hearts of my friends. Eventually in his chosen time he will restore all creation as it once was, in him!"

(It was clear enough that God's "heaven-music" was ever-present as a permeating reminder of the purity and power in its Creator. As God's methods of communication are headlined by music, even so is Satan's method of distorting its language to deceive through his "rock"! Jesus had clearly implied already that one of his final missions would be to destroy the very "works of the devil" which include all music that fails to honor the Lord. Messiah promised to destroy any disharmonies which Satan uses to lure and deceive innocent children into the pits of hell!)
near-death.com/forum/nde/000/91.html

Upvote 0

Shifty2112

Sep 9, 2013
✟15,115.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have grown up listening to almost all heavy metal (ac/DC, Metallica, megadeath, anthrax, grateful dead, etc...) then when . got saved back in 1989, I ran across a band called White heart. They changed my music taste drastically because I was so close to God. Their songs were all about glorifying God. The instruments and beat was awesome to me. Now fast forward to 2013, I have found so many christian bands that I listen to that I find so much better than anything in the secular world, bands like Skillet, thousand foot krutch, kutless, newsboys, RED, Disciple, casting crowns, mercy me, toby mac. All of these artists sing for God. I rarely have the desire to listen to secular music. Do I think the other music is of the devil, well, according to scripture, your either for God or your not. I guess some stuff can be in the middle of doesn't really fall into a category, I am still a HUGE Rush fan. I have never really found a Rush song that sings praising the Devil. That is where I draw the line now on what I listen to. Anyways, I think once your heart is into the music, you will forget about if it was borrowerd from some other source, who cares if it was, it is the words that matter and the heart of the band.

Upvote 0

Norah63

Jun 29, 2011
everlasting hills
✟14,569.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Interesting to hear what young people think about music.
Is it the lyrics or the beat that captures the soul?
In my era it was hymns, now country or bluegrass is easy to listen to.
Most contemporary music is so loud and not able to even hear the lyrics.
Is that intentional?

Upvote 0

Shifty2112

Sep 9, 2013
✟15,115.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Interesting to hear what young people think about music.
Is it the lyrics or the beat that captures the soul?
In my era it was hymns, now country or bluegrass is easy to listen to.
Most contemporary music is so loud and not able to even hear the lyrics.
Is that intentional?

To answer your question on the lyrics, my favorite Christian Artist is Casting Crowns, there music has lyrics that really speak to me and how I feel about my relationship with God. Go to Youtube and search for Casting Crowns Who Am I

Here are the lyrics:
Who am I, that the Lord of all the earth
Would care to know my name,
Would care to feel my hurt?
Who am I, that the Bright and Morning Star
Would choose to light the way
For my ever wandering heart?

Not because of who I am
But because of what You've done.
Not because of what I've done
But because of who You are.

I am a flower quickly fading,
Here today and gone tomorrow.
A wave tossed in the ocean.
A vapor in the wind.
Still You hear me when I'm calling.
Lord, You catch me when I'm falling.
And You've told me who I am.
I am Yours, I am Yours.

Who am I, that the eyes that see my sin
Would look on me with love and watch me rise again?
Who am I, that the voice that calmed the sea
Would call out through the rain
And calm the storm in me?

Not because of who I am

A vapor in the wind.
I am Yours.

Not because of who I am

A vapor in the wind.
I am Yours, I am Yours, I am Yours.

Whom shall I fear?
Whom shall I fear?
'Cause I am Yours, I am Yours.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

freebiblelessons

Sep 25, 2013
Connecticut
Visit site
✟7,767.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"The heretics way".... (saw website)

I don't think the church despises gays and democrats.

They fear them.

And its reciprocated isn't it?

Mind you I'm speaking from the UK.

Maybe it's fear...maybe it's hate...or maybe it's a little bit of both. I am not implying that all believers feel this way, but it seems to be the way many believers act here in the US.

Upvote 0