London
✟19,055.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
So recently there's b een a case in the paper that somewhere in the world a woman beat her child with a clothes hanger. His back is covered with bruises. This isn't just a spanking for being bad which is more acceptable as a method. However in the court she uses in her defence "spare the rod, spoil the child". I can think of some good counter arguments such as "he who accepts the littlest child in my name, accepts me" and "what father gives their child a snake when they ask for a fish".
But what do you think. Is the Bible allowing the woman to do this?

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So recently there's b een a case in the paper that somewhere in the world a woman beat her child with a clothes hanger. His back is covered with bruises. This isn't just a spanking for being bad which is more acceptable as a method. However in the court she uses in her defence "spare the rod, spoil the child". I can think of some good counter arguments such as "he who accepts the littlest child in my name, accepts me" and "what father gives their child a snake when they ask for a fish".

The rod is about discipline not sadism.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
You'll unfortunately find many who misread the "spare the rod" scripture. What shepherd did you ever see that beat his sheep with a rod? A rod is for guidance, and that's why Psalm 23 speaks of the "rod and the staff" giving comfort. Sadly, some people like this woman are either ill-advised or use the scripture as an excuse. I hope that the child is kept from her until she receives counseling. Poor baby.

Upvote 0

Bethany35

Liberal Christian, Jesus loves all
Oct 4, 2015
London
✟19,055.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
You'll unfortunately find many who misread the "spare the rod" scripture. What shepherd did you ever see that beat his sheep with a rod? A rod is for guidance, and that's why Psalm 23 speaks of the "rod and the staff" giving comfort. Sadly, some people like this woman are either ill-advised or use the scripture as an excuse. I hope that the child is kept from her until she receives counseling. Poor baby.
Hetta she is currently on trial in Indiana where they have a Religious Freedom act , the videos showing what she did to the seven year old boy have gone viral.
http://religionnews.com/2016/09/01/son-had-36-bruises-mom-quoted-bible-as-defense/

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
As the article implies, this may be more an issue of differing cultural values. I'm sure child-rearing practices in southeast Asia aren't the same as ours. Invoking religious freedom is likely a legal tactic to mitigate her actions. I'm not a religious person, and I'm very skeptical of all religious doctrines. But I don't believe any rational version of Christianity would teach that brutalizing a child is ever acceptable.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So recently there's been a case in the paper that somewhere in the world a woman beat her child with a clothes hanger. His back is covered with bruises. This isn't just a spanking for being bad which is more acceptable as a method. However in the court she uses in her defence "spare the rod, spoil the child". I can think of some good counter arguments such as "he who accepts the littlest child in my name, accepts me" and "what father gives their child a snake when they ask for a fish".
My Brother was the director of Psychology at the local Children's Hospital. People may find this hard to believe but the medical profession knows the difference between abuse and discipline. The legal system knows the difference. They very much want you to discipline your child. They do not want people to abuse their children.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Eph 6:4 And fathers, do not provoke your children, but nurture them in the discipline and admonition of the Lord.

I doubt she ever read this---nurture in discipline--not beatings which are sure to provoke.

Upvote 0

CGL1023

citizen of heaven
Jul 8, 2011
Roswell NM
✟75,781.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

The description sounds like the mother had big time malice toward the child. Matthew 5:22 says, "But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

-------------->

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
The problem I have with any religious argument is that the person doing what they believe god is telling them to do simply has to say "well god told me to" or "i believe this is what god wants me to do..."

How do you refute that?

What makes your interpretation of the Bible better than theirs?

What makes you a better Christian than them?

Then we get into the No True SCOTSMAN Fallacy argument if they take an action you don't approve of, obviously they can't be a real Christian...

So what is the solution? Do we take a poll or something?

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
The shepherds rod---it was never used to beat the sheep, that is never done, unthinkable. It was used to guide the sheep, to pull them put of thickets, out of clefts they might have fallen into, that is what the large hook was for. It could be used to best---beat an enemy away, never the sheep.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I realize this is a zombie thread but I really need to make a comment.

The description sounds like the mother had big time malice toward the child.
Maybe not. Successive generations have grown up with the interpretation that "spare the rod" is a scriptural COMMAND to beat the living H. E. double hockey sticks out of your children; and if they do NOT do that, they are disobeying God. I know in my own family that belief went back into the 1800s.

IN such a case, there may be no malice at all; just a distorted doctrinal view of God's love for us.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Those pictures made me feel sick. That's terrible. It's demented to do that.
I agree. That could have been a pic of me circa age 5. My wife says I still have scars from it.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sadly, In some peoples minds. Spare the rod, spoil the child means beat the child with metal, plastic, wooden objects or any object they can get their hands on to beat their child with. Sometimes that means death for a child.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
No. (obvious, huh)

Yet also the Bible does not usually permit taking others to court, with false or with true accusations, either one, since the ungodly courts DO NOT do God's Justice for the people nor for the families.
Some may think that the government can make a good family for a child, but all the evidence available is AGAINST this. (the more that government gets involved, the more children die including in the womb, and the more families suffer irreparably,) .
Thus
the solution is NOT found in the government/ courts.

Upvote 0