Does one commit Idolatry by wearing native indian inspired jewelry?

ConvictionofGod

לא תרצח‎ (δεν θα μπορείτε να σκοτώσει)
Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2017
Milpitas
✟56,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Or any jewelry from :
(Taoism, Daoism, native indian spirituality, symbols like the evil eye, the Ankh, ETC(
I myself do not wear anything other than christian jewelry, but i want to open the topic for civil discussion; what are your thoughts on the subject?

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Or any jewelry from :
(Taoism, Daoism, native indian spirituality, symbols like the evil eye, the Ankh, ETC(
I myself do not wear anything other than christian jewelry, but i want to open the topic for civil discussion; what are your thoughts on the subject?
Back when I was married there was this little jewelry shop that specialized in jewelry made by a Cherokee craftsman, used to be a good source for anniversaries and birthdays. By Indian I suppose you mean of the eastern variety. Unless it's Shiva or some pagan idol I don't really see the problem. The all seeing eye is symbolic mostly, but not entirely, of God's omnipotence and the Ankh does resemble a cross. I guess it just comes down to what meaning you assign to the symbol.

Upvote 0

ConvictionofGod

Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2017
Milpitas
✟56,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I guess it's yes if you spend alot of money on it, think about it all the time and constantly read about it.
If you just think it looks cool, then no :)

however, if you are wearing it, In theory you are associating with it, its symbology, snd its history, clearly, no one will wear something for no reason other than being "cool"

there was a professor that claimed wearing the ankh was committing idolatry because it was symbolic in ancient egyptian hieroglyphics for being of eternal life, and by wearing it you were therefore associating yourself with that notion ( his name escapes me currently )

Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
however, if you are wearing it, In theory you are associating with it, its symbology, snd its history, clearly, no one will wear something for no reason other than being "cool"

there was a professor that claimed wearing the ankh was committing idolatry because it was symbolic in ancient egyptian hieroglyphics for being of eternal life, and by wearing it you were therefore associating yourself with that notion ( his name escapes me currently )

I think I see what you're saying. Would I consider wearing a symbol of a non-Christian religion idolatry? No. But as a follower of Christ I wouldn't want to be a billboard for an incorrect theology.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think I see what you're saying. Would I consider wearing a symbol of a non-Christian religion idolatry? No. But as a follower of Christ I wouldn't want to be a billboard for an incorrect theology.

Uh-Oh. I'm wearing a star-wars t shirt right now.

Upvote 0

ConvictionofGod

Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2017
Milpitas
✟56,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

indeed

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Idolatry is worship of an inanimate object. So unless you are sacrificing a fatted calf or praying to your necklace, I'd say you're pretty safe. Intention matters.
That make me think of a Catholic eating veal, reciting the rosary.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,553.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Or any jewelry from :

I don't believe there is such a thing as "Christian" jewellery.

How would you define it; anything in the shape of a cross or which has a bible verse on it?
What about wedding and engagement rings? What about necklaces, earrings etc which may have been designed and made by Christians?

I don't wear much jewellery, but if I saw something I liked, I would buy it. I think it only becomes a problem if you worship it, or are superstitious about it and believe it brings bad luck.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,553.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Some people wear a cross and chain without being professing Christians.

Upvote 0

ConvictionofGod

Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2017
Milpitas
✟56,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Some people wear a cross and chain without being professing Christians.

yes as a fashion jewelry piece, some gothic people wear a black crucifix to complete their "ensemble" i do not agree with either.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ConvictionofGod

Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2017
Milpitas
✟56,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

How would you define it; anything in the shape of a cross or which has a bible verse on it?
What about wedding and engagement rings? What about necklaces, earrings etc which may have been designed and made by Christians?

I don't wear much jewellery, but if I saw something I liked, I would buy it. I think it only becomes a problem if you worship it, or are superstitious about it and believe it brings bad luck.

i believe a plain cross is christian because it symbolizes the sacrifice jesus made for mankind, not everyone who believes in God believes Jesus is the son, so wearing it would make little to no sense to them because the religious context is not aligned with their own beliefs.
its true we must put our wealth in our worship but if someone's mission is to show it to the world then i feel this person is mislead.
worship is primarily a private matter that does not call for heralding.
it is indeed so idolatry if someone replaces the important of God with their jewelry, become overly obsessed with how wearing a cross makes them look, and of course praying to it as if the necklace was God, so someone may say in and of itself wearing a certain piece of another religious denomination, (of which i refer to polytheism) is fine so long as you don't assign symbolic meaning or significance to it.
so i suppose in theory if you just think a piece of jewelry is cool and nothing else then there may be nothing presumably wrong with wearing it, however the same person must also be prepared to answer questions from friends or family because they happen to be wearing an ankh which is symbolic for eternal life in ancient egypt or an all seeing eye, or the eye of providence, which is more closely aligned to God, while being christian. I get grilled for my tattoo all the time, i only say to them "it was another life" anyway sorry i tend to rant

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,553.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i believe a plain cross is christian because it symbolizes the sacrifice jesus made for mankind,

Yes it clearly represents the sacrifice that Jesus made for us.
But of itself, it is neither Christian nor non Christian.

Maybe we should call a cross and chain a symbol of faith, rather than jewellery, and maybe I'm just being pedantic. But jewellery has no faith, morals or values, and can, itself, be neither Christian nor non Christian; good nor wicked.

It's like music; I don't believe that nice melodies without words; tunes, are either good nor evil.

But if a piece of jewellery would be identified by someone else as "pagan", and if wearing it might upset other Christians, we shouldn't do it - for the sake of witness and their faith.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I get grilled for my tattoo all the time, i only say to them "it was another life" anyway sorry i tend to rant
Some ppl have their tattoos modified into a design that is faith based; others get faith based tattoos as a witness tool; my wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also and I'm sure other conversations have arisen as a result of her willingness to have it done.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

It's a bit like tattoos, really; some ppl who have them in faith based designs want to wear them as a witnessing conversation-starter; for others, any witness aspect is not significant (maybe a pity, really; a credible personal testimony to go with the jewelry or the ink is essential).

I don't think for either gender it's necessary to refrain from for example piercing one's ears simply because it's unlikely that one will wear faith based items. For some many ppl, getting one's ears pierced (and even after 18 getting some ink) are a sort of rite of passage/ coming of age thing, really.

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

ConvictionofGod

Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2017
Milpitas
✟56,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Some ppl have their tattoos modified into a design that is faith based; others get faith based tattoos as a witness tool; my wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also and I'm sure other conversations have arisen as a result of her willingness to have it done.

this one is not one of them, probably will get it laser removed and replaced when finances are better

Upvote 0