Does, 'Love thy neighbor as thyself' mean homosexual sex is okay with Jesus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gwenyfur

Legend
Dec 18, 2004
Everywhere
✟66,698.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution
and again...not everyone interprets scriptures the same way...

if christianity is so convoluted within itself...how do you expect to create a uniform code of theocracy for a state to function under...

Look at all the different denominations, factions, splinter groups...and that's just counting within the last century...as a new interpretation of scripture comes along and a new denomination is born...seems almost daily at this point...

yep...that's a good basis for government :doh:

Upvote 0

EnemyPartyII

Sep 12, 2006
✟20,084.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
and again...not everyone interprets scriptures the same way...

if christianity is so convoluted within itself...how do you expect to create a uniform code of theocracy for a state to function under...

Look at all the different denominations, factions, splinter groups...and that's just counting within the last century...as a new interpretation of scripture comes along and a new denomination is born...seems almost daily at this point...

yep...that's a good basis for government :doh:
Well obviously only the TRUE Christians (tm) get to make up the government and legislate the "Christianity based" laws.

Upvote 0

EnemyPartyII

Sep 12, 2006
✟20,084.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
That is how people are looking at your position compared to the Bible quote. :confused:
I have no idea what you are babling about.

Look, its perfectly simple... you can work out whether something is a sin or not, ANYTHING... by running it through the "love one another as you would be loved yourself" fliter.

Murder... "I really want to kill that guy, but is that how I would want to be loved? (i.e. have someone kill me) No. So it would be a sin to kill him"

Rape... "Wow, she's totally hot, I want to have sex with her whether she wants to or not, but is that how I would want to be loved? (i.e. have someone sexually assault me) No. So it would be a sin to rape that person"

Theft... "I really want that watch that that guy has, but I don't have enough money to buy one, so I might just take it. But would is that how I want to be loved (i.e. hve someone take my stuff without paying for it) No. So it would be a sin to steal it."

Adultery... "I'm really horny, and this girl is totally comming on to me. Should I have sex with her, even though I'm in a relationship? Is that how I would want to be loved? (i.e. would I want my partner to sleep with other people, even if I never found out about it?) No. So it would be a sin to cheat on my partner"

Homosexuality... I'm in a loving, committed relationship, that benefits me, benefits my partner and makes us both happy, but is that how I would want to be loved? (i.e. being loved the same way I love someone) YES! So it isn't a sin.

CONDEMNATION of homosexuality... I believe that homosexuals are icky, and I can't get over my indoctrinated beliefs about them, so I want to persecute them. But IS THAT HOW I WOULD WANT TO BE LOVED? (i.e. have people make arbitrary laws against me, harass me, intimidate me, deny me equality, brutalise and even assault or kill me because they don't approve of my sexual orientation?) NO! So it would be a sin to condemn homosexuals.

Upvote 0

Gwenyfur

Legend
Dec 18, 2004
Everywhere
✟66,698.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution
Well obviously only the TRUE Christians (tm) get to make up the government and legislate the "Christianity based" laws.
lemme know when that teeniest of portions of christianity takes over...
I'll be emmigrating elsewhere...

Upvote 0

Camery

Jun 1, 2010
✟15,166.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Enemy partyII. You have a very good analysis of what is loving thy neighbor as thyself. There is only one reason that homosexual relationships are called an abomination in the Bible. This is because the seed is not present in the relationship. So it is living for the current relationship rather than for the offspring and the future.

Upvote 0

Gwenyfur

Legend
Dec 18, 2004
Everywhere
✟66,698.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution
Enemy partyII. You have a very good analysis of what is loving thy neighbor as thyself. There is only one reason that homosexual relationships are called an abomination in the Bible. This is because the seed is not present in the relationship. So it is living for the current relationship rather than for the offspring and the future.

Many hetro couples choose not to breed...so why would the seed of the future be the difference?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Camery

Jun 1, 2010
✟15,166.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
The seed is there. Never the less, each of us have the privilege of choosing the way we think is best and we may accept or reject anything along the way. The way of God is constantly creating, so this is what He approves. We all have free will and all should have the privilege of using it without having to put up with condemnation for each of us must answer for our own deeds and no one elses.

Upvote 0
P

Phinehas2

Gwenyfur,
ever hear of "consensual"???

Seriously...anything that doesn't involve the consent of 2 adult partners ... would fall under illegal, and harmful...
it would under secular thinking but secular thinking doesn’t see the same harm.
Your worldview is secular that’s why you post this, but not everyone’s worldview is the secular so instead of expecting everyone else to conform to your worldview get used the fact they wont.

Upvote 0
P

Phinehas2

EnemypartyII
Amazingly, the very same people who rail against Muslims being alowed to build a Mosque in New York and condemn every member of that religion as an evil, unrepentent terrorist and baby eater, also look longingly at Saudi Arabia et al and their intolerant laws.
A lie. No one has said this, that’s you trying to smear and prejudice the argument.

Upvote 0

QuakerOats

— ♥ — Living in Love — ♥ —
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
✟18,314.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Greens
EnemypartyII
A lie. No one has said this, that’s you trying to smear and prejudice the argument.
I don't believe EnemypartyII specifically stated that anyone said it, only that she's made an observation of attitude. In this thread, many of the same people who were or are against the NY mosque and were consequently railing against Sharia law, are now in this thread acting as though it would be a good thing for a kind of 'Christianized' Sharia law to be implemented in America with relation to sexuality.

Upvote 0

Gwenyfur

Legend
Dec 18, 2004
Everywhere
✟66,698.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution
EnemypartyII

hardly....I believe you did indeed say this...

The laws of the US you mean. The laws of some countries and of God see homosexuality as harmful.

and you still haven't bothered to answer my question that you seem to believe you are above your god when it comes to interfering with people's free will and right to choose their own paths...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gwenyfur

Legend
Dec 18, 2004
Everywhere
✟66,698.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution
Gwenyfur,
Your worldview is secular that’s why you post this, but not everyone’s worldview is the secular so instead of expecting everyone else to conform to your worldview get used the fact they wont.

and your world view is any different?
fundamental christians seem to want everyone to live to their standards, their world view...

At least my world view has the sense to see that people have free will to choose their paths...
People are born differently
people aren't cookies cut from the same cutter
people are different
people come in all races, creeds, ethnicities, orientations, and lifestyles
and my view sees that that's okay...because people are people...all deserving of love and compassion....not judgment and condemnation.

Upvote 0
B

BigBadWlf

Gwenyfur,
Shiny shiny mirror

Reactions: Gwenyfur
Upvote 0

EnemyPartyII

Sep 12, 2006
✟20,084.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thank you for considering my position.

However, I would point out that since we don't consider infertile heterosexual couples "abomination", it seems unreasonable to brand homosexuals as such for that reason. Its just a matter of consistency.

It also fails to take into account that many homosexual couples CAN look after the next generation, being adoptive parents, through artificial insemination, having children from earlier, heterosexual relationships, or, like me, merely being active in youth groups and trying to be a constructive member of the community. Being a biological parent is hardly necessary for "living for the offspring of the future", just as there are a great many biological parents who are really bad at it and don't give 3/5s of a rat's about their kids.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.