Jul 2, 2005
Saint Petersburg, Fl.
✟577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Lord Emsworth said:
The word of "God" is commonly equated with the Bible. I think that the logos (if you interpret it thusly) becoming flesh would be quite strange.

Methinks it probably means something else. ;)
No. A compounded definition would be: Thought and words becoming phisicial substance.
So Jesus becoming flesh is quite realistic, if you look at what was believed concerning the Logos theology of the first and second century.

Upvote 0

Lord Emsworth

Je ne suis pas une de vos élèves.
Oct 10, 2004
Through the cables and the underground ...
✟61,459.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
charlesseamanj said:
No. A compounded definition would be: Thought and words becoming phisicial substance.
So Jesus becoming flesh is quite realistic, if you look at what was believed concerning the Logos theology of the first and second century.

You probably missed my point. I meant it would be strange if you equate "logos" in John with the bible itself.

Upvote 0

In A Perfect World

Jun 19, 2005
CT
✟17,022.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It depends. Some atheists here are rational people. There are some atheists who don't exactly have a good sense of logic IMHO. There are also a lot of critical thinking Christians. Then, some Christians are REALLY bad, and say "God trumps logic, therefore you are illogical, and evolution is wrong". We won't name names though.

Upvote 0

charlesseamanj

Jul 2, 2005
Saint Petersburg, Fl.
✟577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In A Perfect World said:
It depends. Some atheists here are rational people. There are some atheists who don't exactly have a good sense of logic IMHO. There are also a lot of critical thinking Christians. Then, some Christians are REALLY bad, and say "God trumps logic, therefore you are illogical, and evolution is wrong". We won't name names though.
This is true. It is important to get past the pre-assumptions and pre-determined beliefs and get to common sense and logic. I believe in God because I see clear and present evedence supporting his existence. I will not get into exactly what the evedence is, But I do see it.

So far I have been bashed for my beliefs. I have not been presented with ANY arguements that have enough ground to cause me to re-concider my views.
Bashing and "I'm right and your wrong" arguements is all I have been presented with.

I am not trying to insult anyone. Just making a point.

Upvote 0

Loke

Jan 20, 2005
✟336.00
Faith
Atheist
charlesseamanj said:
This is true. It is important to get past the pre-assumptions and pre-determined beliefs and get to common sense and logic. I believe in God because I see clear and present evedence supporting his existence. I will not get into exactly what the evedence is, But I do see it.

So far I have been bashed for my beliefs. I have not been presented with ANY arguements that have enough ground to cause me to re-concider my views.
Bashing and "I'm right and your wrong" arguements is all I have been presented with.

I am not trying to insult anyone. Just making a point.

I'm sure logic isn't needed in order to belive in a supernatural being, like god, and I'm sure none of your evidence (which you do not present) is based upon logic.

Is it possible to argue logically against a point of view, which isn't base upon logic?

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,221,788.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
charlesseamanj said:
Then when a christian has better logic then them, they start posting hostile posts in an atempt to turn the table in their favor. This is clasic debating at work. This is used to hide their illogical views.

Hostile posts....kinda like you saying they have a viewpoint of stupidity in your OP??????

I don't think anyone's views are illogical. Everyone believes what they believe for a reason. I'm an agnostic,...I'm this way because I'm a person who loves to learn, and I want to gather as many facts as possible before commiting to something. I can tell you as a unbiassed third-party (because I don't identify with atheists or christians..) , that I have seen many posts on this site from all affiliations could be considered illogical.....

atheist : "There's no god"
-obviously existance didn't just create itself...

christian : "The Noah's ark story is 100% true"

-obviously two of every animal on the planet didn't fit on a 500ft boat...

Everyone is illogical...the human brain has errors. If anyone knew the absolute truth, it would make perfect sense and it would be too amazing to deny or ignore. The fact that everyone isn't on the same page yet, leads me to believe that no one has discovered anything THAT amazing yet.

The only way we, as a human family, are going to make any progress in finding the truth, is if we work together. I have never...in my life...turned anyone away when they wanted to tell me about their beliefs and their faith. I've talked to every kind of person you think of,...Some of them, great people, others....some of the most hateful people on the planet.

I can tell you from experience..when someone tells you about their faith, and involves concepts of "how evil" other people are, it can really turn you off to their beliefs. I learned a lot of great things from people from all kinds of religeous backrounds, they all have something good to offer if you only take the time to listen.

Upvote 0

charlesseamanj

Jul 2, 2005
Saint Petersburg, Fl.
✟577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Loke said:
I'm sure logic isn't needed in order to belive in a supernatural being, like god, and I'm sure none of your evidence (which you do not present) is based upon logic.

Is it possible to argue logically against a point of view, which isn't base upon logic?
Just like I said, "I'm right and your wrong arguements is all I have been presented with".

Upvote 0

charlesseamanj

Jul 2, 2005
Saint Petersburg, Fl.
✟577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
miniverchivi said:
I learned a lot of great things from people from all kinds of religeous backrounds, they all have something good to offer if you only take the time to listen.
I have taken time to listen to many peoples views also. I have found them lacking in many areas. I must then reject what I hear, and lable them as incompleet faiths.
I am not correct in everything either, at the same time, I base my faith on what is most logicial.
This is why, for example, I do not believe that the complexities of the human cell have come into being by random copying errors.
Nor do I believe that the first cell came into being randomly, with all the nessasary components and complex sistems in place that cause it to function.

Now do you see why I believe in a creator? I believe because threre remains no other explanation fiting into common sense.

Upvote 0

Spherical Time

Reality has a well known Liberal bias.
Apr 20, 2005
New York City
Visit site
✟18,773.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
charlesseamanj said:
I have taken time to listen to many peoples views also. I have found them lacking in many areas. I must then reject what I hear, and lable them as incompleet faiths.
I am not correct in everything either, at the same time, I base my faith on what is most logicial.
This is why, for example, I do not believe that the complexities of the human cell have come into being by random copying errors.
Nor do I believe that the first cell came into being randomly, with all the nessasary components and complex sistems in place that cause it to function.

Now do you see why I believe in a creator? I believe because threre remains no other explanation fiting into common sense.
I have taken time to listen to many people's views also. I have found them lacking in many areas. I must then reject what I hear, and label them as incomplete and inconsistent religions.

I am not correct in everything either, at the same time, I base my beliefs on what is most logicial.

This is why, for example, I believe that the complexities of the human cell have come into being by random copying errors that have been selected for over time.

I also believe that the first cell came into being though naturalistic abiogenesis from simple amino acids, and gradually developed all of the necessary components and complex systems that allow it to function.

Now do you see why I believe in evolution? I believe because threre remains no other common sense explanation.

/let's hear it for replacement in argumentation!

Upvote 0

Patzak

Sep 9, 2005
✟15,722.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
But the creator falls afoul of logic on a much more basic level. Yes, you might say it doesn't make sense for cells to have formed by themselves - that there must have been an intelligent creator. This creator, however, should be much more complex than single celled organisms, yet you don't propose he must have been created. You can say that God is exempt from logic in this way, but then you cannot claim that your position is the most logical. It might make sense to you and millions of other people, but logical it isn't.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums