Does Jesus love unconditionally? Jesus says, "No"!

WorthyCause4Christ

Oct 15, 2017
Buena Park
✟13,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
John 15:9-10
As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.
If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

How does one spew forth doctrine that Jesus loves unconditionally if the above scriptures, printed in red, show that there is one condition? Keeping the commandments is that condition.

Romans 5:8
But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

Taking John 15:9-10 and Romans 5:8 into account it would appear to paint a picture that God sends love toward us enough to send His Son but we still have to obey the commandments in order to abide in Jesus' love. This would heavily include, firstly, repentance, and lastly, making disciples of the nations (being a living sacrifice).

Does anyone have some input on this theology? Since the above is true; it would appear that there is a false doctrine that, "Jesus loves you no matter what" which gives the mentality of, "I can live in sin and be a Christian, too". A false doctrine we were warned about in the Bible (scripture below).

2 Timothy 4:3
For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

Please, I am still learning. If for some reason I am not rightly dividing the word of God please let me know.

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

How does one spew forth doctrine that Jesus loves unconditionally if the above scriptures, printed in red, show that there is one condition? Keeping the commandments is that condition.

But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

Taking John 15:9-10 and Romans 5:8 into account it would appear to paint a picture that God sends love toward us enough to send His Son but we still have to obey the commandments in order to abide in Jesus' love. This would heavily include, firstly, repentance, and lastly, making disciples of the nations (being a living sacrifice).

Does anyone have some input on this theology? Since the above is true; it would appear that there is a false doctrine that, "Jesus loves you no matter what" which gives the mentality of, "I can live in sin and be a Christian, too". A false doctrine we were warned about in the Bible (scripture below).

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

Please, I am still learning. If for some reason I am not rightly dividing the word of God please let me know.
Love sometimes means a kick in the shins.

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I can't give as good of an answer as I'd like to--I'm still learning, too!
From what I can tell, from this & other Biblical passages, His love is unconditional, it's just that God still operates by justice, too. To abide in His love likely means to be in His grace, and eventually, heaven.
Just as a father loves all of his kids, even if he has to send some to prison, so too God loves us all, even if we choose paths that seperate us from Him.
There's many Biblical passages that mention the need to follow God's commandments, and how He comes to those who search Him, and similar ideas. Proverbs, Sirach, the Gospels, and other books come to mind here.

That's some of what I know about this; I'll be looking more into this, but for now, I'll step back & let someone smarter than me take over.

Upvote 0

WorthyCause4Christ

Oct 15, 2017
Buena Park
✟13,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
I can't give as good of an answer as I'd like to--I'm still learning, too!
From what I can tell, from this & other Biblical passages, His love is unconditional, it's just that God still operates by justice, too. To abide in His love likely means to be in His grace, and eventually, heaven.
Just as a father loves all of his kids, even if he has to send some to prison, so too God loves us all, even if we choose paths that seperate us from Him.
There's many Biblical passages that mention the need to follow God's commandments, and how He comes to those who search Him, and similar ideas. Proverbs, Sirach, the Gospels, and other books come to mind here.

That's some of what I know about this; I'll be looking more into this, but for now, I'll step back & let someone smarter than me take over.

My mother also made the statement of it probably regarding His grace but I told her the word, "love" doesn't equate to, "grace" (well, unless there is scripture to back said statement that, "abiding in His love" means, "His graces").

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Well, first, who actually says, "Jesus loves you no matter what" and in what context?

Upvote 0

Not me

Righteousness is right and not me.
Feb 26, 2018
California
✟263,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God is an ocean of love. To all that are willing to accept it. But the nature of love is to heal all that is wrong and sin is wrong. God would have you live in His love but to do that you have to be healed of all unrighteousness.

Henceforth is command to keep His commandments,

Peace and joy in Christ. Not me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Did you read the Statement of Purpose for Traditional Theology? It should have been in red before you could enter the forum.

I ask because I'm not sure what kind of discussion you want. If you wish to discuss the question in light of different Traditions, this would be the place. But it would be inappropriate to speak of any Tradition "spewing forth doctrine" that you don't agree with.

If you want to discuss the topic generally with fewer restrictions, perhaps you'd prefer General Theology?

Otherwise the thread here risks replies straying into rule violations and/or the thread closed down.

Please let me know if I should put in to have it moved for you.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
As for an answer from an Orthodox perspective - we know that God IS love. He is a loving God. But how we perceive that love might not fit a simple definition. He desires what is best for each person. That does not mean that He would ignore sin and allow us to wallow in it with His full approval.

Sin is it's own consequence. God doesn't turn against us or hate us because we sin. But loving our sin can twist our hearts against God and make us hate Him. So that in the end, even His love is a torment to us - experienced as a consuming fire - if we love our sin more than God. Because we won't be free to engage in sin in the body and away from the direct presence of God forever.

God IS agape-love, which is unconditional. But it unwaveringly desires the best and highest good for the one that is loved.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Haipule

Jun 20, 2017
Honokawai, Maui HI
✟32,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

There are four words in the Greek translated by the English word "love". We are talking about agapE.

agapE means: to take an active interest in another person in any capacity up to, and including, sexuality.

So yes, of course there are conditions!

Even John said, "Do not love(take an active interest in) the world".

I not sure where "unconditional love" or "impersonal love" came from.

To take an active interest hast to be conditional and can not be impersonal.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There are four words in the Greek translated by the English word "love". We are talking about agapE.

agapE means: to take an active interest in another person in any capacity up to, and including, sexuality.

So yes, of course there are conditions!

Even John said, "Do not love(take an active interest in) the world".

I not sure where "unconditional love" or "impersonal love" came from.

To take an active interest hast to be conditional and can not be impersonal.
If I may ask, where did you find your definition? If we are going to build doctrines off word definitions (not that I am advocating that), we need to be assured that they are absolutely correct.

"To take an active interest" seems far too - casual. I might take an active interest in a local dog show. That doesn't mean I "agape" it.

Maybe we are talking past one another a bit.

Upvote 0

WorthyCause4Christ

Oct 15, 2017
Buena Park
✟13,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Did you read the Statement of Purpose for Traditional Theology? It should have been in red before you could enter the forum.

I ask because I'm not sure what kind of discussion you want. If you wish to discuss the question in light of different Traditions, this would be the place. But it would be inappropriate to speak of any Tradition "spewing forth doctrine" that you don't agree with.

If you want to discuss the topic generally with fewer restrictions, perhaps you'd prefer General Theology?

Otherwise the thread here risks replies straying into rule violations and/or the thread closed down.

Please let me know if I should put in to have it moved for you.

I do apologize... I took an assumption that the rules were similar to other forums. I am still fairly new and will accept a 'moving' of this post to General Theology.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I do apologize... I took an assumption that the rules were similar to other forums. I am still fairly new and will accept a 'moving' of this post to General Theology.

No problem.

I just think it will allow you to have the discussion it looks like you want to have. The topic here is limited.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Long answer:
Yes, Jesus loves everyone unconditionally.

Short answer:
rf_detail_274_0.jpg

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Just as a father loves all of his kids,
Your analogy is interesting, but breaks down because not all men are his kids. ie. they are not born of God's Spirit.
Remember what Jesus said to the Pharisees, "You are of your father the devil............!"
You would be hard pressed the show that Jesus loved those particular Pharisees.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Your analogy is interesting, but breaks down because not all men are his kids. ie. they are not born of God's Spirit.
Remember what Jesus said to the Pharisees, "You are of your father the devil............!"
You would be hard pressed the show that Jesus loved those particular Pharisees.

Hmmm OK - you can play lawn bowls, right?

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Hmmm OK - you can play lawn bowls, right?
Goodness me Gordon, it took me ages to work that one out!

So no, Francis Drake gave up the bowls some time back. Sinking Spanish ships was much more fun.:oldthumbsup:

• Haha
Reactions: gordonhooker
Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Goodness me Gordon, it took me ages to work that one out!

So no, Francis Drake gave up the bowls some time back. Sinking Spanish ships was much more fun.:oldthumbsup:

I actually have a set of Drake’s Pride International bowls so I know the story.

Last edited:
Upvote 0