Jan 11, 2004
Visit site
✟11,649.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
First for Don:

YAY!!! :clap: I am so happy for you. :pink: Hope it is something that you enjoy doing and that maximizes the use of your gifts, as you serve others in your work.

Next...for anyone who wants to do additional reading on the Doctrine of Election (I was originally typed the "Lutheran" Doctrine of Election but my pastor chided me the other day for qualifying everything in such a manner...he rightly says it is the Christian Doctrine of Election ;) ) :

I found this paper on my lunch hour the other day. We didn't get into a lot of discussion on the difference between foreknowledge and predestination but this paper goes into much discussion on that as well as some of the high points we hit.

Walther on the Doctrine of Election

(I don't seem to be doing a good job of focusing on my own studies today! Theo...please...I urgently need some of your love for history...could you e-mail that to me! ;) )

Love y'all

Rose

Upvote 0

theologia crucis

evangelical apostolic orthodox catholic
Oct 31, 2002
Texas
Visit site
✟8,548.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Man, I have gotten busy at home (thanks to the wife!), and will be for another few days (personal stuff with the house), so I'm going to bump this so I don't forget to come back to it...

Congrats on the job, Don! You don't mind a blasphemer congratulating you, do you? ;)

Upvote 0

Qoheleth

Byzantine Catholic
Jul 8, 2004
✟11,372.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Luthers Rose said:
Last year I studied from a more modern book on Lutheran Doctrine.

The Christian Faith by Robert Kolb

But I found a book that is a little older to be better and used it to supplement my course studies.

Christian Dogmatics by John Mueller

The second does a better job comparing Lutheranism to other thinking.

Peace

Rose
Okay, I have had both of these books now for about 3 days (ive been reading like a madman). I must admit that the first book (Kolb) is a descent read but, the second book by John T. Mueller is excellent and so far I believe it accurately appraoches and conveys the truth in all scriptural matters, not that Im the authoritative critic here. Christian dogmatics is and easy read and study, clear, concise, thourough and complete.

If this book is generally considerd (and endorsed) as a completely accurate source on Lutheran theology, then Ive found a winner.

You see, My wife and I (she is LCMS Lutheran I am not) need to be united in our church home for our family (2 children). I have been considering full membership into the LCMS and need many issues clarified. Currently I visit several differnet churches each week, with or without my family and this can not go on as it is. My wife is understanding and supportive yet, we need to be together on this.

Thank you all for the help and guidance.

Upvote 0

ByzantineDixie

Handmaid of God, Mary
Jan 11, 2004
Visit site
✟11,649.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Qoheleth said:
Okay, I have had both of these books now for about 3 days (ive been reading like a madman). I must admit that the first book (Kolb) is a descent read but, the second book by John T. Mueller is excellent and so far I believe it accurately appraoches and conveys the truth in all scriptural matters, not that Im the authoritative critic here. Christian dogmatics is and easy read and study, clear, concise, thourough and complete.
:clap: WOW!!! I can't tell you how happy I was to read this...for a couple of reasons. First of all Mueller is not a cheap book so if you had said you hated it I would really have felt terrible about leading you to spend that kind of money for nothing. Secondly, I have to admit I like seeing my own thoughts on these books validated. Ya, I found Mueller to be superior to Kolb and hard to put down. Just good stuff exactly as you say "easy read and study, clear, concise, thourough and complete".

If this book is generally considerd (and endorsed) as a completely accurate source on Lutheran theology, then Ive found a winner.
Indeed, Mueller's Christian Dogmatics is a study of Lutheran theology and accordingly presents the beliefs of the LCMS (perhaps other Lutheran groups as well...I just don't know about them and can not speak for them).

You see, My wife and I (she is LCMS Lutheran I am not) need to be united in our church home for our family (2 children). I have been considering full membership into the LCMS and need many issues clarified. Currently I visit several differnet churches each week, with or without my family and this can not go on as it is. My wife is understanding and supportive yet, we need to be together on this.

Thank you all for the help and guidance.
Ah, yes, Lutheran Evangelism, marriage and childbirth! ;) My husband was LCMS (lapsed) when we married.

Qoheleth, I hope you stick around and join us. This is a great place to ask questions, gain clarity and get some encouragement in the process. It's always great to have another "pending" Lutheran on board.

In His grace and love

Rose

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.