Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have have heard the phrase "Does Jesus live in your heart?". I find it interesting that this really isn't in the Bible and I would like to understand where this idea and phrase come from.

Does anybody know anything about the origins of this phase, either the person or denomination that came up with it.

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I have have heard the phrase "Does Jesus live in your heart?". I find it interesting that this really isn't in the Bible and I would like to understand where this idea and phrase come from.

Does anybody know anything about the origins of this phase, either the person or denomination that came up with it.
The oldest reference I can think of is the vintage 1930s Easter hymn “He Lives!” also known as “I serve a risen Savior”

Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Actually He makes His Home in us through His Holy Spirit. I suppose it could mean the same thing. The key question ....is it true? His Holy Spirit regenerates the believer. Not many know this truth. Blessings.

Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him.

Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Colossians 1:27
To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:

2 Peter 1
King James Version
1 Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ:

2 Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,

3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:

4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;

6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;

7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.

8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Ezekiel 37:14
And shall put my spirit in you, and ye shall live, and I shall place you in your own land: then shall ye know that I the Lord have spoken it, and performed it, saith the Lord.

John 14:20
In that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you.

Romans 8:10
If Christ is in you, though the body is dead because of sin, yet the spirit is alive because of righteousness.

Galatians 2:20
I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.

Ephesians 3:17-19
so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God.

Colossians 1:27
to whom God willed to make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

1 John 3:24
The one who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. We know by this that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

Revelation 3:20 speakign to the church, not unsaved
Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me.

Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟63,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I would say first of all "Jesus living in the heart" is biblical.
I would pay primary attention not to traditional jargon but firstly to the Scriptures.

How many people would like the Apostle Paul to have prayed for us? I would.
Here is how Paul would pray for you - that Christ would live in your heart. (Eph. 3:13-17)

For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father,
Of whom every family in the heavens and on earth is named,

That He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory,

to be strengthened with power through His Spirit into the inner man,

That Christ may make His home in your hearts through faith, . . .

Paul's prayer is that the sphere and realm within you where Christ is, YOU would be strengthened INTO that realm.
Being strengthened into the realm of your regenerated "inner man" the result would be that
Christ live in your heart. Of course for Christ to make His home in your heart has to mean He LIVES in your heart.

Now what is your heart (without writing a much longer article)?
Your heart is your Consience, your Mind, your Emotion, and your Will.

Paul's petition for all the church (including you and I believers) is that the resurrected living Jesus Christ
who joined Himself with your innermost spiritual being, you spirit (1 Cor. 6:17) would have you stengthened into contact
with that realm. Then He would move into the different chambers of you heart to LIVE in your conscience, mind, emotion, and will.

There is no other hope. If Christ cannot move out and spread into our heart, taking up His authority in our heart to live there,
we are indeed the most miserable lost people.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟63,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That Christ may make His home in your hearts through faith, . . .

is something we never graduate from. A Christian of many years STILL has to
exercise
faith that Christ would live in their heart.

There are parts of the heart where Christ has not yet settled down to be at home.
By FAITH we have to ask Him to move into those parts.

"By faith" is so critically important. It means you have faith that Jesus can be everything for you, everything in you.

Ie. "Lord Jesus, I believe that you can live in my emotions to regulate and control them."
"Lord Jesus, My memory causes me such problems. I believe Lord you can live in my remembering ability."
"Lord Jesus, I decide with my will wrong things. Lord I have faith that you can live in my will to decide in me."

For Christ to make His home into room after room, chamber after chamber of our heart, requires that we have FAITH
that Jesus can BE US. He can live in us. That is on a detailed level, Jesus can live in our heart.

This is a life long prayer of turning over to His settling down and re-arranging every part of our heart.

This is what a pioneering Christian like Paul learned over the course of many years -

I am crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but it is Christ who lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live in faith, the faith of the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me. (Gal. 2:20)

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

In the sense of modern Decision Theology where salvation is a specific conversion experience of making a personal choice to "accept Jesus" the language isn't exactly biblical.

However, that Christ dwells in us is biblical and true and good theology.

First, let's talk about the Trinitarian perspective: Since all three Divine Persons are indivisible and inseparable that means we cannot separate nor divide any Person from Another. So, for example, Christ explicitly tells us that He is in the Father and the Father is in Him. Likewise, the Lord tells us, concerning the Holy Spirit, that though the Spirit is "another Comforter" He says "I will not leave you as orphans, I will come to you".

This is the language of Perichoresis, the way in which the Three Persons of the Trinity are in/with One Another--the Father is in the Son, the Son is in the Father, the Son is in the Spirit, the Father is in the Spirit, etc.

This means that we can say, on this basis alone, that Christ dwells in us through the Holy Spirit.

Additionally, there is biblical language that talks about Christ in us.

2 Corinthians 13:5, Romans 8:10, Galatians 2:20, Colossians 1:27, and most notably for this discussion, Ephesians 3:17

That Christ dwells in us, that Christ is with us, through faith, through the Holy Spirit, is decidedly biblical language.

God the Trinity makes His home with us, that through faith we have received God, life from God. So that, indeed, Christ does dwell in us. Christ makes His abode with us, and--importantly--desires to always make His abode with us.

In the mini-epistle to the Laodiceans in St. John's Apocalypse the phrase, "I stand at the door and knock" is said by the Lord, this is often wrongly applied to trying to get un-believers to have a conversion experience; but in truth this is said to believers. It is an invitation and call to be faithful to our first love, Christ, who loves us and gave His life for us that we might live in and with Him. Who seats us in heavenly places with Himself even as He is seated at the right hand of the Father in glory. This same Jesus, seated at the right hand of the Father, is the same Jesus who "fills all things", who reigns in our hearts through the Spirit, through faith; and who meets us in His word, meets us in the Sacraments, meets us in our love and fellowship with one another.

So while we do not "invite Jesus into our hearts" as a kind of decisive salvation moment enacted by our ability and works (Ephesians 2:8-9), we are the Body of Christ as His Church, and Christ dwells in us and reigns in us, and we are being changed and conformed to the image of Christ, to have the mind of Christ, to bear the love of Christ in this Mystery of faith. Which we have received by the grace of God.

Theologians talk about this in different ways, Unio cum Christi and Unio Mystica, Union with Christ, Mystical Union--the Mystery--the revealed truth of the Gospel, that we are united to Christ, with Christ, we partake of Christ of His life by God's grace, through faith, in and of the Holy Spirit. This isn't "mysticism" as gets defined popularly today; rather this is the view of Scripture and good theology that there is a union, a communion, and a sharing-together between Christ and His Church. And that we are members of the Church, Christ's Mystical Body, we share of and in Christ, are with Christ, "heirs of God, joint-heirs with Christ". This is the language of Baptism such as in Romans 6:3-4 that we have been united to Christ in His death so too are we united to Christ in His resurrected life; and Galatians 3:27 that we are clothed with Christ; this is the language of the Lord's Supper where in 1 Corinthians 10:16 we read that we partake of the body and blood of Christ, and as we read further in that passage that partakers of the altar partake of the sacrifice.

There is a unity between Christ and His Church, between us and the Lord, here in Word and Sacrament, in the new and superabundant life of grace by the Holy Spirit, through and in faith which God gives and works in us. Much of this mystery is not fully comprehended, we see this in several places of Scripture, such as in 1 Corinthians 13 where Paul writes we see now in a glass dimly, but will one day see face to face knowing as we are known, and John says in his epistle that we are God's children now but what we will be is unknown, but we will be like Christ on that coming Day.

We have these mysteries through faith, by the promise of God in His word, the fullness of what God is doing is not fully known now, but one day all will be made plain. But, for now, we cling to faith, that God is keeping His word, Christ is our treasure, buried in us by God, to hold us and keep us.

-CryptoLutheran

Last edited:
Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟63,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In the sense of modern Decision Theology where salvation is a specific conversion experience of making a personal choice to "accept Jesus" the language isn't exactly biblical.
I don't know or want to defend or deny some dogmatic labelI knowing nothing about.
But the ground for asking someone about Jesus living in their heart basis in the New Testament.

When John writes - But as many as received Him, to them He gave the authority to become children of God, to those who believe into His name, (John 1:12)
Where would you say we "received Him?" I would say we receive HIm into our heaets.

However, that Christ dwells in us is biblical and true and good theology.
It is there in the word of God.
Now when Peter says But sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, (1 Pet. 3:15) that is a living Christ, living in our hearts.
First, let's talk about the Trinitarian perspective: Since all three Divine Persons are indivisible and inseparable that means we cannot separate nor divide any Person from Another. So, for example, Christ explicitly tells us that He is in the Father and the Father is in Him. Likewise, the Lord tells us, concerning the Holy Spirit, that though the Spirit is "another Comforter" He says "I will not leave you as orphans, I will come to you".
This really helps.
For all Three are said to be in us the believers.
That is moving into our hearts.
This is the language of Perichoresis, the way in which the Three Persons of the Trinity are in/with One Another--the Father is in the Son, the Son is in the Father, the Son is in the Spirit, the Father is in the Spirit, etc.

This means that we can say, on this basis alone, that Christ dwells in us through the Holy Spirit.

Additionally, there is biblical language that talks about Christ in us.

2 Corinthians 13:5, Romans 8:10, Galatians 2:20, Colossians 1:27, and most notably for this discussion, Ephesians 3:17

That Christ dwells in us, that Christ is with us, through faith, through the Holy Spirit, is decidedly biblical language.

God the Trinity makes His home with us, that through faith we have received God, life from God. So that, indeed, Christ does dwell in us. Christ makes His abode with us, and--importantly--desires to always make His abode with us.
Thanks for these wonderful confimations.
In the mini-epistle to the Laodiceans in St. John's Apocalypse the phrase, "I stand at the door and knock" is said by the Lord, this is often wrongly applied to trying to get un-believers to have a conversion experience; but in truth this is said to believers. It is an invitation and call to be faithful to our first love, Christ, who loves us and gave His life for us that we might live in and with Him. Who seats us in heavenly places with Himself even as He is seated at the right hand of the Father in glory. This same Jesus, seated at the right hand of the Father, is the same Jesus who "fills all things", who reigns in our hearts through the Spirit, through faith; and who meets us in His word, meets us in the Sacraments, meets us in our love and fellowship with one another.
Yes, this is a word to the church. Since the church by nature is only composed of those who have received Jesus already,
for Jesus to stand at the door of our hearts wanting to come in, is a matter of come in to a greater degree.

The believers in the church in Laodicea were certainly saved and having Christ in their spirit and in their hearts.
But they STILL had to open more for Him to come into the church corporately. Each individual of the congregation
had his or her responsibility to open the door of their heart to allow Him to come in more - for feasting, enlightening, saving them from spiritual pride.

This is one reason why in a previous post I wrote that we Christians never graduate from the need to let more of our hearts
be under the control of the Lord, allowing Him to make His home there.

So while we do not "invite Jesus into our hearts" as a kind of decisive salvation moment enacted by our ability and works (Ephesians 2:8-9), we are the Body of Christ as His Church, and Christ dwells in us and reigns in us, and we are being changed and conformed to the image of Christ, to have the mind of Christ, to bear the love of Christ in this Mystery of faith. Which we have received by the grace of God.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat

American evangelical pietism influenced by Romanticism. Religion was a matter of sincere feelings, rather than assent to a creed or rite.

Upvote 0