Does 'Goddidit' constitute an explanation? (2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonLancer

The Moon is a reflection of the MorningStar
Aug 10, 2007
✟22,024.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Multiple attestations, people writing at a time when their beliefs would get them killed, the rapid growth of Christian churches at a time when the beliefs could have easily been debunked by naysayers, etc. As I've mentioned it's a more in depth study than a message board allows.
This is not unique to Christianity

Upvote 0

MoonLancer

Aug 10, 2007
✟22,024.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
One small group of people, in one small city, go against the Bible and put some innocent people on trial; and the entire Family of God throughout all ages are supposed to be doing that in perpetuity --- right?

You really need to reread history. It was not an isolated town. It was all over. Christians were out for blood.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Interesting word choice, in view of the fact that that's what you guys like to bring up in our face.

You guys are always rubbing the witch trials, the Crusades, or the Inquisition in our faces; like it is supposed to mean something.

One small group of people, in one small city, go against the Bible and put some innocent people on trial; and the entire Family of God throughout all ages are supposed to be doing that in perpetuity --- right?

But they were following the Bible. Parts of it, anyway. They may have gone against other parts, but that's the beauty of the book; you can use it to justify anything.

It's like proverbs.

"The early bird gets the worm." Great, act quickly!

But, "Look before you leap." Okay, don't act too quickly!

But, "He who hesitates is lost." Excellent, act quickly again!

But, "Good things come to those that wait." Um, don't act quickly, then?

But, "Shoot first, ask questions later." So, quick? Again?

But, "Patience is a virtue." Wait, what?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MoonLancer

Aug 10, 2007
✟22,024.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
A meaningless statement without specifics, but actually, it is pretty unique, and combined with a study of other religions, one can indeed reasonably come to Christianity.
your one to talk about specifics LOL. Tell me one aspect of the Jesus story that you believe was not based on a early mythology.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,359.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You really need to reread history. It was not an isolated town. It was all over. Christians were out for blood.
Right --- that's why it's known as the Salem Witch Trials --- because it was 'all over'?

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
No.

I have belief because I have faith in what I believe, and my belief is valid because I have faith in what I believe.

So in this context, "faith" is just a convenient substitute for "pride."

You can't bear the thought that you might be mistaken, so your own "faith" makes it true, because to be wrong would be unthinkable.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,359.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But they were following the Bible. Parts of it, anyway.
And please explain why you guys want us to do the same thing, so as to avoid the charges of 'cherry picking' and 'hypocrisy'?

Upvote 0

Skaloop

May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Right --- that's why it's known as the Salem Witch Trials --- because it was 'all over'?

!! JeruSALEM !!

Salem's just the one that made the history books; but yes, it happened all over.

And, loathe that I am to make this comparison, just because Auschwitz is the most well known concentration camp doesn't mean it didn't happen in plenty of other places, too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Skaloop

May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
And please explain why you guys want us to do the same thing, so as to avoid the charges of 'cherry picking' and 'hypocrisy'?

I don't. i don't really want you to follow the Bible at all.

I'm merely pointing out the fact that some people did bad things and pointed to the Bible as their justification.

And now you are saying that they were bad things and are using the Bible as your justification.

You're both equally wrong. Especially you. But especially them.

Upvote 0

Jnwaco

Jan 26, 2010
✟9,303.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
your one to talk about specifics LOL. Tell me one aspect of the Jesus story that you believe was not based on a early mythology.

Actually, that makes no sense. You're the one who posted the generalization with no facts.

Bodily resurrection of the Messiah is one that is unique (although bodily resurrection itself was Jewish in origin, the Jews believed that everyone was to be resurrected at once when the Messiah came).

Upvote 0

Skaloop

May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Actually, that makes no sense. You're the one who posted the generalization with no facts.

Bodily resurrection of the Messiah is one that is unique (although bodily resurrection itself was Jewish in origin, the Jews believed that everyone was to be resurrected at once when the Messiah came).

So it's unique except that it wasn't? Nice try.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat

Then bodily resurrection wasn't all that unique to the Jesus story, was it?

Upvote 0

Jnwaco

Jan 26, 2010
✟9,303.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Then bodily resurrection wasn't all that unique to the Jesus story, was it?

Well, considering Christ was a Jew, I don't see how that's a problem, number one.

But technically, it was unique. The Jews expected the messiah to be a military leader, not a peaceful savior who would die and be resurrected.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,359.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm merely pointing out the fact that some people did bad things and pointed to the Bible as their justification.
Wouldn't you expect a wolf in sheep's clothing to do that?

Upvote 0

Skaloop

May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Wouldn't you expect a wolf in sheep's clothing to do that?

Irrelevent. They still used the Bible as justification because it justified it in part. It justified killing witches, and it justified not killing witches. Hence its universal applicability.

Upvote 0

Jnwaco

Jan 26, 2010
✟9,303.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Prometheus
Chained to a rock with vultures picking at him. Each night he would heal, but he never died.

Once Osiris was put back together, he resided in the underworld, he did not walk on earth for people to see. In fact, I can't remember any credible accounts of people actually seeing Osiris before or after he was put back together.

Try something else

No need, this one is still fine. Stretching other religions to try and say Christianity is a copycat isn't anything new and it's been debunked over and over.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,359.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Jews expected the messiah to be a military leader, not a peaceful savior who would die and be resurrected.
Yup.

The Jews were actually expecting two Messiahs: one peaceful (Psalm 22, Isaiah 53) and one martial (Psalm 72, Isaiah 11).

When Jesus presented His credentials as the Isaiah 53 Messiah, they didn't want anything to do with Him, as they were wanting out from under the shadow of the Romans.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.