Does God want some people to stay single?

HIS Geeky Girl

Jan 24, 2013
✟440.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Who says single people can't be happy??

I totally believe He calls some people to lifelong singleness. Look at monks, priests, nuns, etc. Look at Mother Theresa - does she seem like she led an empty, unhappy life? Heck no, she traveled the world, impacted millions of lives for God, and left behind a legacy that will go on for generations.

I don't think MOST people are called to be single, but I don't think we should treat our single years like a curse. Even those of us who will one day marry, still have some period of single-hood in our lives to go through. They can be the greatest, happiest, free-est years of all. Don't waste them.

Upvote 0

Koakku

Site Supporter
May 4, 2012
Pennsylvania
✟61,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is not a sin or a wrong thing if you be together with someone or marry but it is better if you're single and serving the Lord. Along with marriage there are many hardships and trials as-well as not being happy with your spouse most of the time but if you're single you can focus all out on the Lord. Of course God wants us to be happy, single or not single but the choice is for you to make.

Upvote 0

HIS Geeky Girl

Jan 24, 2013
✟440.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Loner, the best way to deal with a situation like that is to stop feeling sorry for yourself (no, I'm not being mean when I say that), get out of the house, and live life. If you make up your mind that you're going to live the fullest life possible EVEN IF you remain single, you're already one step ahead of loneliness. I think we all have moments where we sigh and look around and wish we had someone special there, but if those moments become days, weeks, months, years, of just festering in misery, you're going to become so bitter that you'll repel women instead of attract them. It's OK to feel a lonely moment, but then let it pass, and get on with your life! Take a trip, sign up for a class, try a new hobby, volunteer to help a cause. Don't waste your single years feeling sorry for yourself, there's SO much life to live :) Trust me, seeing a single man who is confident, happy, active, and content, is SOOOOOOO attractive!

Upvote 0

single 4 the lord

Say NO to Christian gnosticism
Feb 1, 2013
✟266.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Who says single people can't be happy??

I totally believe He calls some people to lifelong singleness. Look at monks, priests, nuns, etc. Look at Mother Theresa - does she seem like she led an empty, unhappy life? Heck no, she traveled the world, impacted millions of lives for God, and left behind a legacy that will go on for generations.

I don't think MOST people are called to be single, but I don't think we should treat our single years like a curse. Even those of us who will one day marry, still have some period of single-hood in our lives to go through. They can be the greatest, happiest, free-est years of all. Don't waste them.

I don't believe that is God's will (about the Catholics staying single forever). The old testament is clear marriage, sex and family are BLESSINGS from the LORD, not curses. It's the Church that decided to ignore God's Word on this. Judaism FTW. You need to read your Bible more.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

single 4 the lord

Feb 1, 2013
✟266.00
Faith
Non-Denom
It is not a sin or a wrong thing if you be together with someone or marry but it is better if you're single and serving the Lord. Along with marriage there are many hardships and trials as-well as not being happy with your spouse most of the time but if you're single you can focus all out on the Lord. Of course God wants us to be happy, single or not single but the choice is for you to make.

How is it "better?" I don't see how it is "better."

There are also many hardships and trials from being single - loneliness, sexual temptations literally everywhere, less financial resources, less emotional support, less companionship, worse health conditions, more psychological problems and more. How exactly is that "better?" Single people die on average 5 to 10 years sooner than married people.

And if you're not happy with your spouse most of the time, you probably need to either get counselling or a divorce because something is very wrong there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

single 4 the lord

Feb 1, 2013
✟266.00
Faith
Non-Denom
For some who may be in bad relationships I'm sure that could be construed as a good thing if God did work that way. ;)

True but whose fault is that if they are in a bad relationship? It takes two to tango and blaming the other person while claiming infallibility is no way to have a happy marriage to anybody.

Upvote 0

tbogunro

Sep 30, 2012
DeKalb, IL
✟15,867.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
lol if God wanted you to be single, trust me you'll have no problem being single. Actually you'll ENJOY being single, because God will give you that desire. So if you have a desire for marriage then you know exactly what God has in store for you. Now it's that person's job to get excited and start PREPARING. :)

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
^that^
Truth is like said above if he wanted you single, you would be single. You wouldn't have even been in a relationship nor had the desire to find someone. Women would be about as amazing to rocks to you. Sadly many think because of bad relationships that its a sign to be single.

Upvote 0

single 4 the lord

Feb 1, 2013
✟266.00
Faith
Non-Denom
^that^
Truth is like said above if he wanted you single, you would be single. You wouldn't have even been in a relationship nor had the desire to find someone. Women would be about as amazing to rocks to you. Sadly many think because of bad relationships that its a sign to be single.

Then almost no one is called to be single, aside from gays perhaps??

Upvote 0

single 4 the lord

Feb 1, 2013
✟266.00
Faith
Non-Denom
lol if God wanted you to be single, trust me you'll have no problem being single. Actually you'll ENJOY being single, because God will give you that desire. So if you have a desire for marriage then you know exactly what God has in store for you. Now it's that person's job to get excited and start PREPARING. :)

Then why does the church teach that God imposes singleness on unwilling vessels? Do they like misrepresenting our God as a jerk? See Dave's posts for more examples.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TheyCallMeDave

At your service....
Jun 19, 2012
Northern Florida
✟11,541.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I thought God wanted us to be happy.

Without a doubt, God wants some Christians to remain Single. This is evidenced in a number of ways :

1. The high christian divorce rate (estimated by sources at above 40% for the true Christian community). Obviously, these Brothers and Sisters should not have gotton married for one or more good reasons , in hindsight., or they werent hearing or obeying Gods lack of confirmations (redflags) for them to be married.

2. Many Christians automatically assume that marriage is for them, is necessary due to our culture, are afraid of going thru life unmarried, or dont feel fulfilled unless they have someone love them and who are committed to them for a lifetime. Also, many get inundated with the specialness associated with the marriage day (and night) to the exclusion of the very hard challenging work ahead which every lifelong marriage entails ...so they become uneducated and unprepared for what is to come after settling in.

3. Many Christians either dont have a good working knowledge of how a Christian Marriage needs to be, and/or , they dont have one or more of the absolute necessities that each Partner MUST come with for a marriage to be harmonious and commited.

4. Scripture tells us of quite a few very Godly people who were single in conjunction with scripture referring to Christian Singleness as a high calling for good reason.

Upvote 0

single 4 the lord

Feb 1, 2013
✟266.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Without a doubt, God wants some Christians to remain Single. This is evidenced in a number of ways :

1. The high christian divorce rate (estimated by sources at above 40% for the true Christian community). Obviously, these Brothers and Sisters should not have gotton married for one or more good reasons , in hindsight., or they werent hearing or obeying Gods lack of confirmations for them to be married.

2. Many Christians automatically assume that marriage is for them, is necessary due to our culture, are afraid of going thru life unmarried, or dont feel fulfilled unless they have someone love them and who are committed to them for a lifetime.

3. Many Christians either dont have a good working knowledge of how a Christian Marriage needs to be, and/or , they dont have one or more of the absolute necessities that each Partner MUST come with for a marriage to be harmonious and commited.

4. Scripture tells us of quite a few very Godly people who were single in conjunction with scripture referring to Christian Singleness as a high calling for good reason.

The divorce rate has little, if nothing to do with what God wants. You can't use that to try and determine what the LORD desires.

The only single person I know of was Jesus in scripture. Paul was a widower I'm told and a lot of his ideas were bogus anyhow. He forbade men from having long hair, yet Christ himself has long hair.

Why are you preaching aeseticism and contrary to the Scriptures?

Upvote 0

TheyCallMeDave

At your service....
Jun 19, 2012
Northern Florida
✟11,541.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The divorce rate has little, if nothing to do with what God wants. You can't use that to try and determine what the LORD desires.

The only single person I know of was Jesus in scripture. Paul was a widower I'm told and a lot of his ideas were bogus anyhow. He forbade men from having long hair, yet Christ himself has long hair.

Why are you preaching aeseticism and contrary to the Scriptures?

Hi. in response :

a. Then, do you believe God would have two people get married only to result in divorce later on (taking into account God sees everything from beginning to end) ?

b. No, Jesus wasnt the only Single Person in scripture. Do a google for that. Show the verses which lead you to believe Paul was a Widower and same for him forbiding long hair on men .

c. Perhaps your final sentence is based on a misundertanding on YOUR behalf (?) Further, is there something wrong with taking a look at things from a pragmatic standpoint and what current divorce among true Christians reveals ?

d. Are you personally ok if marriage isnt God will for your life ? How would this impact your life and your view of God if it didnt come to pass ? Can you be specific . Thanks.

Upvote 0

single 4 the lord

Feb 1, 2013
✟266.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Hi. in response :

a. Then, do you believe God would have two people get married only to result in divorce later on (taking into account God sees everything from beginning to end) ?

So you feel the human race should just die off, rather than have anyone marry? Does that make any sense?

b. No, Jesus wasnt the only Single Person in scripture. Do a google for that. Show the verses which lead you to believe Paul was a Widower and same for him forbiding long hair on men .

No, do your own homework. It's there, especially the hair thing. Look it up.

The truth is, until Christianity, singleness was a curse and part of a result of not obeying the LORD. The church, filled with gnostic and Hellenic ideas, decided to adopt Plato's and the Greek's ideas of marriage and began denigrating the physical world. Nowhere in the actual Bible, the Hebrew one, does God ever speak against his good creation of marriage or sex.

The TRUTH is, God never contradicts himself. If something contradicts what God actually said (the Hebrew Bible), it is not of him. This is the truth.

c. Perhaps your final sentence is based on a misundertanding on YOUR behalf (?) Further, is there something wrong with taking a look at things from a pragmatic standpoint and what current divorce among true Christians reveals ?

There is nothing pragmatic at all about modern day gnosticism in Christianity. Nothing at all. It's nothing but fairy tale ideas, to be honest with you....

d. Are you personally ok if marriage isnt God will for your life ? How would this impact your life and your view of God if it didnt come to pass ? Can you be specific . Thanks.

Absolutely not. In no way am I "ok" with that idea. I would consider God to be evil and the opposite of good. I would also consider him/them to be schizophrenic and suffer from a severe case of disassociative identity disorder, seeing as how God has gone back on his Word that he gave to the Jews and rescinded his former proclamation that sex and relationships are a good thing.

The problem is, you are teaching gnosticism and pretending it is Christianity. Or maybe it is Christianity. But you completely disregard every page in the old testament that God has said about relationships, in favour of utter nonsense. Do you think that is wise?

I would rather believe in the old testament, where we KNOW the LORD spoke and follow a practical, sensible way of living, than believe in modern day religious fairy tales that make no sense about only serve to make people completely miserable. But its YOUR life, mate.

Upvote 0