I'm Catholic... and yet some non-Catholics inspire me

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟374,261.00
Faith
Non-Denom
You might criticize individual Popes on that basis, namely Pope Alexander VI of the Borgias, however, it is unfair to characterize all holders of the office of the Bishop of Rome during the Renaissance in that manner. Certainly St. Pius V is undeserving of such criticism.

I strongly object to overbroad generalizations about the Roman Catholic Church (or any denomination).
My point was that the current Pope is not the anti-Christ that some believe him to be. There have been decidedly less moral Popes as well as truly saintly Popes. In the final analysis only God will pass judgment on him.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟488,155.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
My point was that the current Pope is not the anti-Christ that some believe him to be. There have been decidedly less moral Popes as well as truly saintly Popes. In the final analysis only God will pass judgment on him.

And that’s a good point to make. My point was merely that not every Renaissance pope was equivalent in morality, or lack thereof, to Alexander VI of the Borgias. Indeed Pope Julius II, who strongly objected to the conduct of Pope Alexander VI, ordered every portrait of Alexander VI removed.

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Not all who wander are lost
Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟35,899.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I just got through reading this book that I almost didn't bother with. It was written by Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty fame. I always liked him but I figured I knew enough about him already... "just another Protestant," part of me said.

Well, this book called Happy Happy Happy (which title got on my nerves because I am not always a happy person or even believe I can be happy... long story) was incredibly interesting and inspiring. Robertson has led many people to Christ. True, you can't just lead people to Him, you kind of have to support their faith after they come to Him, but he seems to have done some of that also.

One interesting story was how he had read in the Word that you are to do good to your enemies. Well, one time some guys were down by a river near his home (I htink it was on Phil's property) and they were trying to steal fish out of his net. His first instinct was to get them, but he remembered that psg about doing good to enemies. Then... LOL, he grabbed his shotgun "just in case." Well, the guys didn't want to admit they were trying to steal his fish but Phil overlooked that as best he could and began GIVING them all the fish, not just some of them but all of them. It's a funny story as he tells it. I had some hearty laughs...

That was quite impressive to me because I've seen a lot of people who call themselves Christian and .. .well, in certain situations, they don't exactly act like it. At first Phil didn't want to accept those words in Scripture. We can all relate. But it was very intersting what he did

And the thieves never bothered him again...

The first point, quoting Peter Kreeft is "to be deprived of true theology is not to be deprived of ones own human nature."

Even non-Christians have human nature which, despite it's fallen state, is made in the image and likeness of God. As such, all human beings are capable of goodness and nobility.

Second, Protestants have a good deal of true theology and despite their errors, they are still capable of loving and serving Jesus. As such they are capable of being elevated above nature by grace.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟374,261.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The first point, quoting Peter Kreeft is "to be deprived of true theology is not to be deprived of ones own human nature."

Even non-Christians have human nature which, despite it's fallen state, is made in the image and likeness of God. As such, all human beings are capable of goodness and nobility.

Second, Protestants have a good deal of true theology and despite their errors, they are still capable of loving and serving Jesus. As such they are capable of being elevated above nature by grace.
Thank you for your kind condescension.

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Not all who wander are lost
Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟35,899.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for your kind condescension.
If a person is in a position where they need condescension, then kind condescension is the proper action.

Consider the example of Jesus and the Canaanite woman. She asked him to heal her child and he told her that it was not fitting to give the children's bread to dogs.

She replied that even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from the table, and he marveled at her faith.

He tested her to prove a point. Humility before the truth is powerful and it is what God desires.

Pride that slaps away a hand extended downward in kindness, because the hand comes from above, is foolishness and it will ultimately lead to falling further.

I'm going out on a limb and assume you don't think that my Catholic theology is correct on every point...
Should I refuse kindness and recognition of my good qualities from you, because you dare to think I'm wrong about some things?

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟374,261.00
Faith
Non-Denom
If a person is in a position where they need condescension, then kind condescension is the proper action.

Consider the example of Jesus and the Canaanite woman. She asked him to heal her child and he told her that it was not fitting to give the children's bread to dogs.

She replied that even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from the table, and he marveled at her faith.

He tested her to prove a point. Humility before the truth is powerful and it is what God desires.

Pride that slaps away a hand extended downward in kindness, because the hand comes from above, is foolishness and it will ultimately lead to falling further.

I'm going out on a limb and assume you don't think that my Catholic theology is correct on every point...
Should I refuse kindness and recognition of my good qualities from you, because you dare to think I'm wrong about some things?
I am somewhat surprised at your response to my polite thank you to you.

Upvote 0