Does God still forgive when we know we would intentionally repeat the sin again?

JW876

Aug 25, 2020
United Kingdom
✟22,286.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

There are times when I don't want to do something, feeling it may be a sin, but I intentionally go ahead anyway as it feels too hard not to. Then although afterwards I confess what I have done to God, I feel if I was in the same position again, I probably wouldn't act differently. Today for example, my Dad had downloaded a film illegally for myself and my Mum to watch. I had let my Mum know I felt uncomfortable with it not being legal which she dismissed, saying I wasn't the one to download it. The next day when she asked if I would like to watch it, I had already decided I would as I worried she would be angry if I said no. Although she is Christian too she feels I can take some aspects of Christianity too seriously. We also both have covid at the moment and my sister is currently in labour(!), so this added to my reluctance to initiate any tension. However, these aspects aside, I know I would have still watched the film with her anyway even if we hadn't had covid etc, as I never want to cause tension in the house so try to avoid causing my parents stress or anger.

So I suppose I am wondering, does God forgive us in circumstances like these? When we feel too weak to be able to avoid the sin again? Would we still be saved? And is it ever ok to do something to avoid conflict, distress, anger etc even if doing so does not seem a very righteous thing to do? Thanks so much in advance to anyone who responds and please be honest in your thoughts, even if they may not be what I hope to hear! I will leave another example of another similar situation I have found myself in below...

I was on a walk on holiday with my Dad and as we were making our way back to our car, we came to a path with a sign which clearly stated that it was closed temporarily. However as it was not physically blocked off to prevent walkers continuing on it, my Dad said it would be fine. With an alternative route back having been very long, myself not knowing the area and, mainly, the annoyance it would have caused my Dad if I had put my foot down about not wanting to carry on, I went on with him. We were able to walk along the whole of the path (it turned out a tree had come down next to it in a certain place, but was there was no clear safety risk). Although I felt guilty the whole way, if I was in the situation again, I don't think I would have been able to act differently.

• Prayers
Reactions: St_Worm2

Reluctant Theologian

אַבְרָהָם
Jul 13, 2021
QLD
✟71,408.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't want to ridicule your question in any way, but if these sins are representative of the ones you really worry about, I am about to nominate you for sainthood :) I understand you may feel uncomfortable watching an illegally downloaded movie, but OK - you didn't do that yourself; so don't be too hard on yourself (indeed just encourage others not to do that anymore). Focus on other vices that we are called to as believers.

Overly concentrating on every possible little thing that feels 'uneven' may not be helpful - be thankful and try to sense what God asks of you in the big picture of life. Personally I think you didn't have any real reason to feel guilty on both occasions; but that's just IMHO.

Be blessed !

• Agree
Reactions: BPPLEE
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,042.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @Jane1000, I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling to know what to do as a believer in certain situations, but perhaps you should consider this as an opportunity for learning (because you are going to be facing similar, uncomfortable situations in the future as a believer, and some of the people that you are going to have to go through them with will not be your as kind & understanding as your parents are). We, as Christians, are often faced with this reality .. 2 Timothy 3:12.

As far as the forbidden trail walk, that may have ended up being a poor choice to make, and while I do not believe that it ever advisable to act against what your conscience is telling you to do (or not to do), I don't believe that it can be classified as being "sinful" (so I'd just put that incident out of your mind). The trail was restricted for the public's safety (not because it was "illegal" to be on it), but thankfully, you two made it through there w/o incident :)

As far as watching the illegally obtained movie goes, I would have had the same reaction to doing so as you did. Also, it would have been especially difficult for me because I would have known that not doing the right thing is exacerbated (at least in a small way) by the fact that most movies today are rentable for a very small fee (IOW, the cost would have been small to have done the right thing in this case, and/or others like it, yes?).

The Lord, from the moment that we are justified (saved) by Him, begins another mighty work in us by sanctifying us (which results in our becoming more and more Christlike :amen:), and the situation that you've found yourself in with your parents and the movie is one that I'm sure He is using in this way. So, the next time that you find yourself in a situation of deciding between doing the popular thing on the one hand, or the righteous thing on the other, quickly pray about it, and then take the opportunity to do the thing that you know is right, even though it is uncomfortable for you to do so (or it seems like it will be anyway).

There are several important reasons why choosing to act in accord with the Scriptures and your conscience is important (perhaps especially when it is difficult to do so), not the least of which is the fact that your conscience will be clear :)

Most importantly however is the fact that you will be obeying, pleasing, and glorifying God when you do so, and second only to that is the fact that you will be acting in a loving manner towards others (even if it ends up making them uncomfortable). Being kind and thoughtful towards others is important, of course, but it is never a true, "loving" act on our part if making someone comfortable and happy will lead them further away from God and towards sin (instead of towards Him and away from sin) :preach: As the Bible tells us, "love does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth .. 1 Corinthians 13:6.

God bless you!! (Numbers 6:24-26)

--David
p.s. - remember that God's love for you (as His adopted daughter) is just like He is, "from everlasting" .. e.g. Jeremiah 31:3. This means that there was never a time in eternity past when He did not love you, nor will there ever be such a time, now, or forevermore :)

And along with knowing you and loving you LONG before you were you, He also knows how every second of your present and future will go, and He chose to save you anyway, yes ;) (so there is no sin that you can commit that will separate you from Him such that you will lose your salvation, so rest easy because, again, His love for you is everlasting :amen:)

Also, God has given us a remedy for our ongoing sins, and He told us what the result would be if we used the remedy that He's provided us with .. see 1 John 1:9 (so trust Him in this as well, trust that He means what He says and obey Him, as you will both honor and please Him whenever you do :oldthumbsup::oldthumbsup:).

Lastly, here are some words (from Scottish theologian and pastor, Dr. Sinclair Ferguson) that I do my best to remember and embrace whenever I am faced with a difficult situation in life, especially one where I am struggling to know what the best thing to do is. Granted, it is difficult advice to follow sometimes, but following it has ~always~ resulted in good things happening (for myself and for others), at least in the long run anyway :oldthumbsup:

171347565.0pIIDsgz.BeObedient.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

There are times when I don't want to do something, feeling it may be a sin, but I intentionally go ahead anyway as it feels too hard not to. Then although afterwards I confess what I have done to God, I feel if I was in the same position again, I probably wouldn't act differently. Today for example, my Dad had downloaded a film illegally for myself and my Mum to watch. I had let my Mum know I felt uncomfortable with it not being legal which she dismissed, saying I wasn't the one to download it. The next day when she asked if I would like to watch it, I had already decided I would as I worried she would be angry if I said no.

Romans 8 says that without the holy spirit in charge "we do not submit to the Law of God - neither indeed CAN we".

So we need to engage in prayer, meditation, claiming Bible promises for the indwelling Holy Spirit - or else we will be stuck in an "I can't possibly defeat this temptation" scenario. The answer is always that it is too great for us to do it without supernatural help.

1 Cor 10 says "God is faithful who will not ALLOW you to be tempted beyond that which you are able, but will with the temptation provide the way of escape". In other words with the infinite power of the Holy Spirit - all things are possible.

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟736,252.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

There are times when I don't want to do something, feeling it may be a sin, but I intentionally go ahead anyway as it feels too hard not to. Then although afterwards I confess what I have done to God, I feel if I was in the same position again, I probably wouldn't act differently. Today for example, my Dad had downloaded a film illegally for myself and my Mum to watch. I had let my Mum know I felt uncomfortable with it not being legal which she dismissed, saying I wasn't the one to download it. The next day when she asked if I would like to watch it, I had already decided I would as I worried she would be angry if I said no. Although she is Christian too she feels I can take some aspects of Christianity too seriously. We also both have covid at the moment and my sister is currently in labour(!), so this added to my reluctance to initiate any tension. However, these aspects aside, I know I would have still watched the film with her anyway even if we hadn't had covid etc, as I never want to cause tension in the house so try to avoid causing my parents stress or anger.

So I suppose I am wondering, does God forgive us in circumstances like these? When we feel too weak to be able to avoid the sin again? Would we still be saved? And is it ever ok to do something to avoid conflict, distress, anger etc even if doing so does not seem a very righteous thing to do? Thanks so much in advance to anyone who responds and please be honest in your thoughts, even if they may not be what I hope to hear! I will leave another example of another similar situation I have found myself in below...

I was on a walk on holiday with my Dad and as we were making our way back to our car, we came to a path with a sign which clearly stated that it was closed temporarily. However as it was not physically blocked off to prevent walkers continuing on it, my Dad said it would be fine. With an alternative route back having been very long, myself not knowing the area and, mainly, the annoyance it would have caused my Dad if I had put my foot down about not wanting to carry on, I went on with him. We were able to walk along the whole of the path (it turned out a tree had come down next to it in a certain place, but was there was no clear safety risk). Although I felt guilty the whole way, if I was in the situation again, I don't think I would have been able to act differently.

There are times when I have felt that kind of pressure as well and buckled under it. However, our goal should be to not sin, even in these small ways.

Psa 125:3 For the rod of sinners will not be resting on the heritage of the upright; so that the upright may not put out their hands to evil.

The Bible tells us that the strength or rulership of the wicked will not continue forever, lest the good lift up their hands to sin. This shows us that people, who rule over us, can sometimes cause us to sin.

However, I would also quote this:

Mat 10:37-38 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

We should put God's word above our parent's desires. Don't join them in sinning, even in little ways, avoid it.

Upvote 0

ValeriyK2022

Jun 13, 2022
Kyiv region
✟56,600.00
Country
Ukraine
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

It seems to me that it is very important not to go to the other extreme here: "strain out a gnat and swallow a camel?" It is better to start the fight against sins from the largest to the smallest. When the big ones are overcome, then it is easy to deal with the smaller ones.

Reactions: childeye 2
Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

I believe that the conscience is the knowledge of good and evil. I note that Adam and Eve found shame in their nakedness after eating it, whereas before they never knew shame when walking in innocence by faith in God. And after eating, it even caused them to hide from God in Whom they had broken in faith.

Some people are very sensitive in their conscience and can feel guilty for the smallest thing when in fact they're doing no one any harm nor meaning to do any harm. I used to be like that. Thank God for Jesus Whose blood is sprinkled upon my heart to cleanse my conscience and give me peace with God.

I have now come to believe that this guilt was coming from the devil in a form of accusation. As both a tempter and accuser, the devil could make something wrong no matter whether I did it or didn't do it. It became self-centered, whereas the Spirit of God is about caring for the poor and those in need, delivering the weak from oppression, Grace and Charity, mercy and understanding.

8 But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse.

9 But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ValeriyK2022

Jun 13, 2022
Kyiv region
✟56,600.00
Country
Ukraine
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Saint Paisios the Holy Mountaineer spoke of this as follows: "Despondency and heaviness usually have their cause in remorse, which comes from the fact that a person is overly sensitive. In this case, a person needs to confess in order to be able to receive help from a confessor. After all, if a person is overly sensitive, then the sin that he committed may be very small, but the enemy increases this sin in the eyes of such a person. He shows him this sin through a microscope in order to cast a person into despair and make him useless.

For example, the devil can suggest to such an overly sensitive person that he supposedly upset his neighbors very much, that he created difficulties for them, and the like. Thus, the devil plunges a person into a disorder that surpasses his strength. However, if the devil really cares about the good of our soul, then why does he not go to tempt [wake up] the conscience of an insensitive person? But where is it: to an insensible person - so that he does not come to his senses - the devil inspires him to consider his great sin as meaningless." из о. Паисия Святогорца...Слова. Духовная борьба. Осознание нами своей греховности...

But if the sin is serious, then it cannot be repeated in the hope of forgiveness.

Last edited:
Reactions: childeye 2
Upvote 0